Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Millers River Sedge


The Millers River Sedge

Last Sunday, while giving a presentation on flyfishing the Millers and Swift Rivers at the Evening Sun Fly Shop, I flashed on the screen a favorite fly of mine. Some of the folks there asked about it. I call it the Millers River Sedge and it's a good searching pattern in the early stages of a caddis hatch. First, it's tied in the time honored wet style which I love. Second, it has the overall molted color scheme of many caddis species. It works very well in riffle sections on a downstream quartering cast or just dead drifted on a short line. I said that I'd post the tying instructions so here they are:

Hook - wet style, sizes 12 to 14
Tail - a few brown grizzly hackle fibers (optional)
Body - orange, olive, tan, grey (you name it) rabbit dubbing
Rib - fine gold wire (optional)
Wing - two matching brown grizzly hackle tips (not too long)
Hackle - brown grizzly hen

Have fun with it!!

Ken
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

nhflyfisher said...

My friend and I arrived at Evening Sun just before noon on Sunday. We were too late-room was packed. We did want to hear more about the Millers and Swift-maybe next time.
Thanks for the fly recipe-definitely one for the fly box when we venture south from NH to these fabled Mass rivers.