Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Slow Start On A New Year




The above photos were taken on Sunday, January 4th showing the Swift running at 350cfs. The photo on the left shows the "pipe" almost submerged in the flow. The other photo shows the culprit - appox. 300cfs running over the spillway above the "Y" Pool.
One can still fish below Rt. 9 but be careful. I actually saw rising trout in the eddy just below the pipe!! One blessing is that the bait boys have not attacked the place. The few I've seen have been striking out.
Time to tie some more flies. I don't like winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken

5 comments:

Gerry said...

Ken,
Happy New Year!
Did you try a smelt pattern to "Match the hatch" indicated in your previous post?
Gerry

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gerry,

Happy New Year to you also. The smelt pattern: tied 'em but haven't fished 'em. Maybe this weekend.

BTW, that wasn't your spinning rod I saw in your video clip, I hope?? (just kidding!)
Ken

Gerry said...

Ken,
No I didn't bring my spinning rod to Florida, although a persistent wind makes me think it could be a good idea. Tomorrow I will be testing the local flats with my 7-wt. I hope the wind holds off for at least a shot at some "tailers."
Gerry

Sportsman Matt said...

Hi Ken, just read your blog. looks good so far. thinking of trying to hit the Swift on Monday. good to hear the bait chuckers haven't gotten in and destroyed it. What would you recommend for mid January?

Keep up the good work.

Matt

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Matt,

Whatever you use make sure it gets down deep. The Swift is WAY UP (450cfs). The "Y" Pool is fishable but I would be careful anywhere else. SJW's have been doing well as well as scuds.

I'll be giving a talk at the Evening Sun Fly Shop on 1/25/2009 (see link) about the Millers and the Swift.

Good Luck,

Ken