Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Rains Came - Finally!!


September was as dry as a bone. Less than an inch of rain fell and the EB and the Millers, still both fishable, needed an infusion. That break came yesterday afternoon and evening. The EB went from 70cfs to 600cfs overnight and now is dropping as it always does. It should level out to 200 or so for October barring another big storm. The Millers fared nicely going from 140 or so to 300 as I write this and now it appears to be dropping which is unusual for this river. It usually goes through the roof and then stays there for a week. I'll take what's happening now any day.

Speaking of the Millers - Saturday, before the heavy rain started, the Millers had a great BWO hatch going on which brought the trout to the surface. The flies were in the size 18 range with both emergers and duns being taken. It was perfect BWO weather, cool and cloudy, until the skies opened up around 1pm. The rain put everything down. We'll have more chances this month if the flows stay fairly low and the weather stays cool and the skies stay cloudy!


Ken

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Sunday AM was productive at the Bearsden. Brown Softhackles and Pheasant Tails landed 3 and hooked 2 others. The recent rain brought good things........

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Good show Dave. Browns or rainbows or both?

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

See my post about an open date for 10/10.

Ken

Unknown said...

Ken, both Brown and Rainbow. This was the first time I caught flies on ones I tied. Thanks for the recipes and thanks for the valuable information shared on this blog!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

David,

Welcome to the club! You're hooked now and there's no way out!!

Ken

Prof. JT said...

Fished the Millers north of Erving just before the rain, landing 1 brown and 5 rainbows.

Tried wets, dries and streamers, but didn't get any takes--so, went to dead-drifting nymphs on tight lines. Still learning to swing wets properly, and so, I've a lot to learn.

Grateful for your Millers Guide, Ken....

Unknown said...

Has the Swift been stocked yet? The website isn't including a schedule. I'm planning on taking my Nephew (12) up there on Monday, and although he is actually a pretty good fly fisherman (good casting, knowledge of flies, drifts, etc.), he would have a better chance of fooling a freshly-stocked trout than an older, wiser Swift trout.

Thanks, Troy

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Could you give me a few tips for fishing tiny dries? I was there last week and they were hitting size 28 black midges (I was told, although I didn't get even one). So now I have tied some (about 150) micro midges, and was wondering if you had any tips to successfully fish them. I assume that You fish them like bigger dries, except you can't see them? Or am I better off just fishing soft hackles?

Thanks, George from Winchester

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Troy,

Fish the Millers instead.

George,

Fish them like dry flies. BTW, size 28 may be too big.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

So I assume it has not been stocked yet... Are tiny dries still working at the Swift?

Thanks, George

Bob O said...

And then there was none ... flow on the Swift has been cut back to the typical 50cfs. Too bad, I really liked the higher water flow. Following the night rain it had been as high as 140, and had produced some fine nymph fishing. Tighlines

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,
Well, I guess the drought is over because all rivers went up while the Swift goes down. Now we can really play with dry flies.

George,

I don't know if the Swift was stocked and I really don't care since there's a ton of fish in there anyway. Tiny dries always work on the Swift.

Ken