Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Fly Fishing Show vs. Go Fishing = Go Fishing

"All of my floating lines are double taper for two principle reasons. The first is that I have adopted Yankee habits of thrift and if the tapered section gets damaged I can just reverse the line. The second is that I never seem to have enough room for a proper backcast." Thomas Ames Jr., Hatch Guide for New England Streams



I know that you recognize the above photo. The Bubbler Arm can be Nirvana or a barren desert and it all depends on the whims of the rainbows. Sometimes the place is loaded with trout and other times it's empty and I haven't really found the key to this mystery. I have the feeling that trout from the Y Pool move upstream for a time and then head back to the pool. This past week it's been packed with fish!!


I didn't need much to do well, just an eight footer loaded with a triangle taper 2wt and some scuds and WD40's. Over the years this place has been the domain of the tiny fly as in size 24 and smaller but I've been successful with 16's in the above patterns this year. The strategy is simple: cast upstream without an indicator and high stick as the fly swings past and then let it straighten out below you.


I caught trout in all of the above positions especially as the fly straightened out below me. Yesterday I took 5 bows and 3 brookies which matched the catch from a trip earlier in the week. I also had the place to myself in the short time I was there.

I like the area around the Y Pool in the Winter. It's open and sunny and you have the chance for surface action if the trout gods smile on us. By April I'm downstream!

I'll pass on the Fly Fishing Show for this year. Today may hit 50 degrees which may bring out those Winter Caddis. Dry Flies in January!!!

Ken









11 comments:

Sam said...

I got out for a few hours this afternoon, Ken. What a beautiful day! I had no action with small sub surface flies with split shot to get them down, so I said the heck with it and tied on a good sized #12 pheasant tail nymph, no weight, no split shot, just as is and let her drift.

Caught one dandy rainbow in a very deep, slow run and to be honest wasn't even sure I had a hit but lifted up and there it was fighting like crazy. Different PT, but same size nabbed another rainbow in faster water which made a long run taking line off, but I turned it pretty quickly with the 5X and brought that one to net where the fly fell out. I like the 5X being I don't want to prolong the fight, just want to let them go no worse for wear.

Only had two hits the whole afternoon, but connected on both, which is enough to make it a fun afternoon for me. Saw one other guy fishing which surprised me on such a gift of a day in January.

Regards, Sam

Hibernation said...

Ken you are missing nothing. I went on Friday - it's only 30' from me, and being self employed, I could make the trip. While it's shrunk the past few years, I still found it good. This year... this was the first time I felt bad about it. The tyer's row was great as usual. But the number of vendors was low, and those selling items seemed really low or minimized. Bears Den usually has a big booth, this year, it was about a third of normal size - good stuff, but small. The booth that has a lot of stuff (Saber hooks :)) was PACKED, more than normal I suspect due to fewer other options to look for deals on tying items.

Bummed to see it trending that way.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will,

That packed booth belongs to Fly Shack and they are the star of the show. It's funny but Regal Engineering and Thomas & Thomas, both Massachusetts companies, skip this show but do the Somerset NJ show.

Years ago I would take in the show every year but after a while it becomes the same old, same old... I also think that our constant access to fly fishing websites reduces our need to see things first hand. I have liked browsing the book sellers even though most of my books are now downloaded.

Sam,

Sounds like a good day! The 5x will take care of any subsurface presentation on the Swift. It's good to have a place to fish in January!!

Ken



Anonymous said...

Ken,

I like that set of riffles half way up the bubbler arm. Do you think another set of riffles could be built between there and the bridge downstream?

GW

Anonymous said...

I went to the show yesterday and it was quite busy. I go every year and this is the
best crowd I have seen. Thomas & Thomas rods was at the show by the way.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

I stand corrected on T&T. It would be good if show management could turn this location around and stem the tide of lost exhibitors.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

GW

I kind of shy away from building structures on a trout stream. That set of riffles plus the riffles from the bridge down to the Y Pool are fine.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken:

Hope all is well - I'm a big fan of the Miller's River blog. I just started fly fishing the Miller's River two years ago, and I'm making it a point to really get out this year and explore the full tract of the river and the area. I was wondering if you could please send me your guide to the Miller's River - it would be great to have as the season starts up again. Thanks so much for your help (and for the blog)!


Carlos

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Carlos and Scott,

Hope that you enjoy the Millers Guide.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken
to me
Could you please send me a copy of the millers river guide

Thank you

Scott

Dave P said...

Love this video and your positive, straightforward approach to the sport, Ken!