Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Book Me Now And The Millers This Weekend

"The Millers is fertile in its own right, but the numerous wastewater treatment plants along it return water to the river that is technically clean but that includes even more nutrients. The result is a veritable insect factory that includes clouds of mayflies and caddis and astounding populations of stonefly nymphs and hellgrammites". Tom Fuller in Trout Streams of Southern New England








This Could Be YOU!!!!  Book Now For September, October And November!!

As many of you know I become a full time guide as of RIGHT NOW! That means I'm available 7 days a week and It's the perfect time to have this happen with Fall just around the corner. The Swift, the Millers, the EB and the Ware are all on the Fall stocking list and I can put you on those rivers and show you spots that are off the beaten track.  Last year the Millers and the Swift lead the list and  now with good flows the EB and the Ware will round right into form.

Don't wait as I'm booking up at a good pace and it will quicken as the days begin to cool.  Don't get left out!!



>
Remember, in two months we will be fishing the brookie run on the Swift. Pods of brookies followed by egg robbing bows and browns. It's the best time to fish the Swift!




Fish The Millers - The Millers got smacked by some heavy rain last night which brought the flow up to almost 300 cfs. It has settled down to about 230 which should last through the weekend. That river will start cooling down and having the sun set at 7:45 pm will help a lot. In short the surface action  will be starting earlier.

Also, don't forget the ANTS. The last two weeks of August ALWAYS produces major ant swarms in New England. Black in a size 20 usually works.

Ken










11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

You are right about the ants in late August. It appears that millions of them just fall onto the water. The biggest swarm I saw was on the Farmington years ago. I love it when that happens!

Nick

Not an auto mechanic but... said...

Don't forget about hoppers! The swift bows were going crazy for my hopper last weekend. so much fun!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Nick,

I saw my largest ant swarm on the Farmington also. It was about 15 years ago. Amazing fishing!!

David h- Can't forget the hoppers for sure although the Dorothea hatch last night on the Swift could make you forget about hoppers!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Took my kayak to the Swift this morning. I find the dry fly fishing is good between 9 am and 11am. Usually get 7-11" brookie with one or two larger rainbows or browns mixed in. Today got a 17" rainbow with a flat cast under a hemlock at high noon. Only in the Swift! The fly was a 12 Royal Wolff. Does anybody fish them anymore?

Jim

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Hope you are talking about fishing down in Cady Lane. And that's "Royal Wulff", not Royal Wolff.

Ken

Ryan51993 said...

@anon Don't mention kayaks here. Somehow on this blog we're second class citizens even though we pay for the same fishing license but just choose not to stand shoulder to shoulder casting at the same fish for 4 hours with the rest of the crew.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ryan,

You are not second class citizens.

You have plenty of water to fish on the Swift where it is unwadable with deep holes and soft bottoms with plenty of fish. Cruising past the gauge, the pipe and the tree pool with wading fishermen is a joke. Getting out of the boat and wading into the tree pool is also a joke.(I've seen it happen). I know you'd like to drop anchor in the Y Pool but that would never happen.

Stay in the deep water.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Is that CDC you use for your ant wings?

Millers River Flyfisher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Yes, it's CDC. I used to use blue dun hackle points but the right ones have been hard to come by.

CDC works fine. I'm not happy with the ant in the photo. I would ditch the hackle.

Ken

Anonymous said...

I have nothing against kayak fishing. But the Swift is rather small for it. In any case, commonsense makes everything work fine. The great thing about kayaks is you get to fish where landlubbers can't touch. Hanging around a busy stretch is unfriendly.

But, on the Royal Wulff question. Brookies do like that fly. They also like the peacock version that I got on sale a while ago at LLBean for a dollar a piece. I was expecting it to be one of those pretty flies that fails, but it works OK. I caught a brokie on it on my first trip to Bondsville last week (tuesday.) That is a very interesting stretch of river: a strange combination of wild New England and industrial archaeology. I then went up to Millers to try out the upper trestle pool in Erving. (Guess where I learned about that, Ken!) The water was higher than expected. Not much doing other than smallies and chub but I did catch a small brownie under the Rt 2 bridge just as it was getting dark. Of course, I had a great time. I didn't see a single other angler the whole day.

Peter