Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, August 11, 2017

Off The Beaten Track, This Weekend And Lenny The Machine

"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them" - John Gierach


Sometimes it's good to drive past those local hot spots and get reacquainted with those seldom fished places. Many times they are "seldom fished" because they are on the short end of stocking run or maybe they're just a little to far away and the GOOD spots are right around the corner. Bondsville is one of them. That rainbow above was taken on a possum nymph by a client this week. It was a beautiful fish and probably hadn't seen an artificial fly in months. The same for the monster brown that we tempted but couldn't budge in low, dim light. I'll be back for him AND the brookies that seemed to have taken the night off. We saw no other anglers even though the Swift was jammed in the usual places.

If you're getting tired of the same old places take a few hours and check out Bondsville. The Y Pool and the Pipe will still be there. Bring a wading staff!!!


A possum nymph is as simple as you can get. Loose dubbing with some light copper wire to keep it all together and to add a bit of flash. I hit the back of this nymph with a brown sharpie for contrast. No beads but weight added to the hook shank is a good idea. Spawning brookies and redd robbing bows loved this fly last Fall which, by the way, is right around the corner.


The rivers are low but not that low. The Swift is holding steady but expect a flow increase if we don't get rain soon. The Millers and the EB are holding their own with very early morning and dusk being the rule. In fact, I heard of a banner EB evening on Wednesday with about a half dozen rainbows caught and almost as many lost and they were all caught on dry flies!!!!! Remember, we've lost a lot of daylight since we are almost 50 days past the longest day of the year. That means that the evening action starts earlier and you will not have to be out past 9 pm (unless you want to).


My friend Lenny is a fish catching machine!!!! Here he is on the Swift releasing one rainbow after another. That's the problem with the Swift - the bows are all identical!!

Catch some trout!!

Ken













16 comments:

Anonymous said...

ken

that is very funny especially the comment about all the rainbows being identical. very good!

Steve B.

Lenny said...

Thanks for the shoutout Ken! I took to the night shift at the swift Tuesday to mouse for some big fish. I had something thump the mouse but got off shortly after, it was awesome! Despite the awesomeness I never felt that great in my gut fishing at night alone haha. Had to make constant ridiculous noises so I wouldn't sneaking up on god knows what was out there. I think from now on I'll be going with a buddy!

Lenny

Dalton Jones said...

Ken the first picture of the rainbow where the benches are is literally my girlfriends parents property, I fish that section of the swift more then any other section I'd say and have great luck....good to know there are some bows kicking around still and that is where the big brookie or brown broke me off a few weeks ago!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,


Lenny,
As of September 1 I am a free man (retired). If you want to go night stalking let me know. Hope you like my creative journalism!!

Dalton,

I was wondering if anyone would recognize that place. I met the owner a few years ago and met a nice woman there as we fished this week. Let's see if we can get that monster that I saw and you hooked!!!!

Ken

Dalton Jones said...

Ken my girlfriends parents love seeing fly fisherman in that section of river small world after all! I have not forgot the brown down there and will be back! Hope to see you in that stretch sometime in the future!

BirdFish said...

Ken,
Steve and I had a real good time with you the other night! I always learn something new when fishing with you. We will return the the Bondsville area again!
Dave

Lenny said...

Ken

I did enjoy your creative journalism!

I'll hit your line for sure for some night fishing!! Expect a ring just a few days after you retire, lets party!

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,

Got it!!! It will be good. Now I'll have to tie some mice!!!!

Dave,

Thank you! I'll probably see you down there!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Nice post, and know exactly where that stretch of river is by the chairs. Sweet holes there, Brookies abound (not lately there but have had success earlier), and very nice holes and flows.

Dalton - your girlfriend's parents are the nicest people. I asked permission to be there, and they were so nice and said they were happy to have people fish there. I was so impressed with their genuineness. Classy folks!

Jim M

Ed Bergmann said...




Sir-

I saw your offer of a copy of the guide on the Millers River Forum. I've fished the river a few times and would like to learn more about it.

Thanks and best regards

Ed Bergmann

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Here you go Ed!

Ken

Dalton Jones said...

Jim M I will tell them you said that! Like I said they love seeing the river being utilized the way it should be wether it's fishing, hiking, kayaking you name it.. tight lines!

hockey_dad said...

Hi Ken- fished the EB yesterday am and hoped to do well with showers and clouds holding off the bright August sun tried every ant imitation I had in the vest to no avail. Did try a new spot for me - the Quarry and was truly amazed. The boulders in their are huge !. Will be back to the EB next week hopefully and continue to explore the EB.

Sam said...

Another good hit and miss memory last night, Ken. I saw a nice one cruising between a log to the right and a pile of brush to the left. I've never fished for bone fish, but have seen videos of them, and it almost looked like that with the dorsal fin and top of the tail above the surface as it fed.

At the time I had an Ausable Wulff fly on and tossed it into the zone. First pass the trout refused it, though I saw some interest. I tried again, but moved it a bit this time and that trout followed the fly and took. Once it felt the sting of the hook it was all over as it dove straight down into sub surface brush. I waded over to hopefully untangle, but no chance. The dandy was off and I wish it well.

Joe said...

Hey Lenny!

Just back from Scotland, I need to refamiliarize my self with the Swift after 2 months on the road, I would dig some night fishing sometime too! hit me up if Ken can't make it!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Joe,

Just email me if you want to fish the Swift at night. I'' introduce you to the dark side!!

Ken