Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Y Pool Revisited, The Dorotheas And Changing Brookies

"All I can do is keep reminding myself that Lee Wulff once said, " The last thing you should change is your fly", which is good advice that's easier to follow when you don't have five hundred flies to choose from".  John Gierach



First, let's talk about the brook trout. Our Swift River brookies are beginning to color up and it's only late August. They don't appear to be moving upstream yet but that will happen in about a month and that's when you will see a show that's unequaled in New England. Our wild brook trout population in the Swift is almost an embarrassment of riches and even though it's not a hidden mountain rill known to only a few it still has its own charm and magic. The magic being that 15 years ago the brook trout population was nowhere like it is today. We are fortunate!!

I finally made it to the Y Pool for the purpose of fishing it and I believe that it's the first time since February. I've brought some newcomers to the place over the Spring and Summer to show them what it's all about but now I have some more time to hit the place during "off" hours and days. One thing is You will never be alone at the Y!!


My Y Pool strategy is simple: fish it if there's plenty of room (usually there isn't) or head to the Bubbler Arm where there's always room no matter how many times I write about it. And there are trout. Not the pods of trout clearly visible in the Y but trout that appear out of nowhere if you are patient enough. Yesterday I met a guy up on the Arm who said that he hadn't even seen a trout. As he spoke I could see one bow just 10 feet behind him. I saw more after he left and took one plus a brookie of about 10 inches. The photo shows my favorite pattern for the Bubbler and it's a zebra midge knock-off from size 20 to 24. (notice I said knock-off instead of that hideous, overused term "variant". Changing a component of a fly, say color or one of the materials doesn't change the fly. It's still the same fly but just tweaked! If you don't think so just google "golden ribbed hare's ear" and see how many styles and colors pop up.It's still a GRHE!!)


After working the Arm I found plenty of room at the Y so I stepped in and joined the list of those that hadn't caught any of the rising trout that could be seen. At least I got a good hit on a size 24 Dorothea which was a fly recommended by Dan Trella. I thought that it was a bit late in the season for this fly but a few naturals began to pop up and the trout seemed to rise for them. I ended up the next day at the Pipe and the brookies and bows were all over that fly!


The pattern is simple - yellow or olive thread for the body,possum for the thorax and snowshoe rabbit for the wing. Don't get discouraged with tying the wing on this tiny fly. The less material the better.

Speaking of the Swift - I guided two well traveled anglers from New Jersey to the Swift this past week. They were astounded by the numbers of trout that they could see in this river. I explained that the general belief is that the stockings were on the light side this year. They said that we are fortunate to have this river. They are right!!!



Ken







13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I've seen those little sailboats floating down the swift. Nice work with the snowshoe fur.

GW

Millers River Flyfisher said...

GW,

I now believe that snowshoe fur works better/longer than CDC for wing material in size 20 and smaller sizes. I saw Dan Trella work up a size 30 emerger with the stuff. It works but will take some getting used to.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Really nice emerger pattern!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Thank you!

Ken

Gary said...

Late summer on the EB, slow water means technical dry fly fishing, size 20 to 30 flies, thin leaders for drag purposes, long leaders (12') with 3 to 5' tippet, slow wading no wakes and get as close as you can to rising fish. Wow my trout season is almost over sept. is RI for false albacore, and oct. the salmon river NY and steelhead. By the way nobody on the EB this morning and rising fish.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

I was there!!! Had some rising fish which I couldn't land on dries but took some on subsurface offerings. Had the place to myself!!

Ken

Gary said...

I'm guessin we were 2 to 3 miles apart you on the gorge side me on the knightville side with the hollow in the middle. On the river on a Monday morning when most folks are goin to work its great ain't it.

Dalton Jones said...

Was going to try and get out this weekend was wondering thoughts on the mill river wondering if trout hold up during the summer or not and with the coolers temps at the end of the week worth trying? Thanks!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dalton,

A assume you mean the Mill River in Northampton/Williamsburg. If so, I would fish the deeper runs off of River Road out of Northampton.

Ken

Dalton Jones said...

That's the river I'm talking about and will dooo! Thank you!

Sam said...

Ken, good dry fly brookie action on the upper Swift C & R area in and above Cady Lane. They hit most any fly floated into their zone and even some that sunk and I stripped back, most especially elk hair caddis in that fashion.

I spoke with a fellow who said the DFW had electro-shocked an unspecified section for trout population purposes and a 17# brown trout turned up. That is one big trout if true.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

It was 18 lbs. I saw the photo

Ken

Lenny said...

They must've had the voltage cranked up pretty high to shock Walter!

Lenny