Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Essential Flies For The Fall, A Big Brown And Some News



"In every species of fish I've angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn't, much of the thrill of angling would be gone."
-Ray Bergman




As many already know I am a true believer in the soft hackle fly and have been a convert since reading Sylvester Nemes book The Soft Hackle Fly over 40 years ago. I love the tradition of these centuries old patterns and the simplicity of their construction. I've tied them as large as size 8 and as small as 18 and they always work. I've tied them with a thorax and without and have used partridge, starling and hen hackle and no doubt other soft feathers to build these flies.


My top Fall producer is the Partridge and Orange. Egg robbing rainbows can't resist this fly as it's rolled along the bottom. It's also a good imitation of the October or Pumpkin Caddis that is starting to make its appearance. Right behind the P/O is the Partridge and Olive which totally represents EVERYTHING but nothing in particular. Make sure you have some Partridge and Olives in sizes 16 and 18 when that other Olive starts hatching on those cloudy October and November days.

I saw a brown trout, well over 24 inches and well over 5lbs, grab a fly and then run into the backing while going airborne twice before breaking off. This event occurred on the Swift.

The Fall stocking starts next week, the last week of September, and will be completed by Columbus Day. You don't have to wait until then. The Swift has been rather empty of anglers which is a shame because there are fish there. The Millers has been producing too.

The rumor mill states that the Millers will get fish by the end of the first week of October.

We need RAIN

Ken












14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

You must of seen that brown's display down on Cady Lane

Pete T.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Pete T.

I saw it at the Tree Pool.

Ken

Unknown said...

I hooked into a big one like that last fall just below the gauge. Had no chance, took off downstream faster than I could react. All the way down to the backing, it jumped and broke off.

Sam said...

They get big for a reason, Ross. You'll always have that memory of that one.

I lost a memorable rainbow tonight. Just couldn't get it into the net to pick the fly out. It made one last run and released itself. It's all good.

Best, Sam

Not an auto mechanic but... said...

I caught one that big at the pipe a month ago and when I got him to the net I saw he had about a 7ft leader wrapped/tied around his Gill/mouth. The leader even had the loop on it. Weird. Fished Deerfield river 3 days over the weekend. Got many fish on ants where the cold meets the Deerfield

Millers River Flyfisher said...

David H,

Could it have been a stringer of sorts. I used to fish the Cold/Deerfield confluence years ago. A great place!

Ross,

The DFW says that there are enormous browns in the Swift and you don't have to be at Cady Lane to see them.

Ken

HamOnfly said...


Ken,

It was just past sunrise on Sunday morning as I parked next to the gauging station and three other cars were already there. So much for low numbers of fisherman working that part of the Swift, even with the high water. The main attraction for me was the return of the Brookies with the beginnings of their fall colors. After a few visits, I drove down to Bondsville to have a little seclusion but all I found was unusually warm water and nothing but fall fish. Hope that changes soon.

Returned to the pipe area and with the crowd diminshed,( game day?) I had access to the riffle. Rolling an Orange soft hackle over a muskrat nymph brought quick action from more of the Brookies and one helluva slab rainbow.

The Highlight of the day was meeting Jim, a fourth grader who ties his own flies and just caught his first trout at the tree pool on a parachute Adams. I don't know who was more excited he, his dad or me. Very gratifying to see the next generation coming up right!

Almost hate to see the stocking truck roll in.....

Mike

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Great blog here, I check it almost daily. Good honest info is hard to find, I thank you for that and also all of the commenters as well. I fished the Bonsville stretch of the Swift on Sunday with no one around. I had some good luck on a hare's ear nymph and P.T. nymphs, caught 3 decent brook trout and one brown. With the high water they are holding tight to the bottom so I needed some small split shot to get my fly down, the brook trout were gorgeous in their spawning colors. On the topic of big trout hooked and lost, I picked a good one down in the Bondsville stretch, only had him hooked for a few seconds but I could feel the weight and headshakes that it was a big fish.....when he shook the fly he did a cartwheel to show off that he had won the battle, I would estimate him at 18" plus.

Quick question on the soft hackles as I've never used them, do you fish them on a dead drift or on the swing?

Thanks!
Ryan

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ryan,

Thank you!!

I fish soft hackles on the swing and on a dead drift.

Mike,

Sounds like a great day with good experiences.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Olives should start popping soon. Any recommendations for a soft hackle for them?

Falsecast said...

High water, few people, harder fishing, but I managed a few nice fish with a combo of Hopper and one on the "Little Brook Trout" streamer pattern. It will probably be the last days of hoppers and "wet" wading so I took advantage. I either missed, there wasn't, or there is still yet to be a good ant hatch on the Swift this year? Any idea, Ken? Also, hopefully the high water doesn't effect the BT spawning. I doubt it will. Happy Fishing!
-Andrew

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

One of the "regulars said there was a very good ant swarm two weeks ago on the Swift. One of those "you should of been here yesterday" deals. I've seen NO swarms this past month even with the warm, humid days (ant weather) that we've had.

The BT need lower water than this to hit the traditional spawning sites on the Swift. 50 cfs would be perfect!

Ken

Dalton Jones said...

Ryan I believe a few of us on this blog have had a run in with that brown down in bondsville I know I have I hooked that one or another one down there that ended up breaking my tippet I fish that section probably more then any other section on the swift girlfriends parents live on that stretch glad you had luck! I need to get out!!

Anonymous said...

Dalton,
Strangely enough my in-laws live on the other side of river road in Belchertown right along that section of river as well. I like it down there because A. You cant see the fish which is my preference. B. It is not crowded, I hardly ever see another fisherman down there. Good luck if you head out, maybe Ill see you down there some time.
P.S. I was below the 2nd dam below the river street bridge, this level of water is perfect for the pool/ run right below the bridge.

Thanks,
Ryan