Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Millers And It's Browns,The Swift And New Stuff




"There's a story that the cylindrical deer-hair Bomber fly was invented on the Miramichi River in New Brunswick when a wealthy sport tossed a cigar butt into the river and a salmon ate it.  You assume it was an imported La Gloria Cubana instead of a rum-spaked crook bought at a gas station" - John Gierach


The Millers is loaded with browns. The comment section mentions it and my last two solo trips took these fish. There are no drag burners here, just a good head of 10 to 14 inch fish that hit on the surface and down deep. A recent stocking?? No way. These guys made it through the Summer and are found at Orcutt, the Upper Trestle, Kempfield and in Erving Center and some have caught them in between. My fish were taken at mid day which was cool but not unexpected because the air temperatures have been in the low 70's, it was cloudy and the sun is at the same strength as it is in late March. Comparaduns in tan around size 16 and any soft hackle will do.

Don't wait until the stocking stocks to arrive and then crowd into the usual places. Fish now especially on a cloudy day.

The Swift flow went hog wild on Monday and the expected rain didn't arrive. If you like high water this will be your place for a week or more!!

New Stuff - 8 years ago I was selling my flies on this site and got totally buried in business.  My full time, 50+ hour job took all the time so I had to let it go.  I'm going to be back with this (flies you can't find anywhere else) and some new, unique products.  More to come!!!!!

Ken









10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I wish they would raise more browns. It's a hardier trout.

GW

Unknown said...

Landed a 12" bow near Erving on the 18th, and lots of 8" brookies (along with chub/fallfish) near Athol yesterday. All were on various dries.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Michael,

Brookies in Athol!!! Good work!

Ken

Mark said...

Ken looking forward to seeing what flies you offer that will hopefully be useful on local rivers. I'm new to tying so a question. When you tie your partridge and orange/olive, do you use a copper ribbing? In general, what sizes are most productive for the Swift and the Miller's? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Great blog I read it all the time and use the information to improve my fly fishing knowledge. I am a novice when it comes to tying my own flies. Let me know when you start going on the flies or how to go about putting an order in, would love to pick some up.

Thanks,
Damir

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mark and Damir,

Mark - I use no ribbing on my soft hackles and most sizes for the Millers and the Eb are size 12 and 14.

Damir,

I will roll out a FLY PAGE by late Fall. Prices will be reasonable and the flies will be hard to find on the general market. Keep logging in!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken

Will this mini drought effect the Fall stocking.

Alan

Anonymous said...

Mini drought? This is far more than that. Check out flows on any freestone and you will see they are 10% or less than what they should be. Not just MA, but NH, VT and ME as well. And the 10 day forecast does not get any better...

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Thank you for the response back I will keep looking for the FLY PAGE!!

Thanks,
Damir

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Yes, Mini Drought and I use that term to describe a condition that is really only a month old. Before mid August the rivers that I report on (and others) were all running very close to their historical average. This is certainly a "mini drought" compared to 2016 and 2010.

Ken