Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Two Mornings, Two Rivers And Off The Beaten Path

The greatest enemy of "good" is "better" - Voltaire



Thursday morning found me hopscotching around the Millers and checking out some of my old haunts. I was also checking out how the trout weathered through the Summer and that answer is FINE!!

First stop was the Bridge Street Pool which looked enticing as usual but my hour there produced nice scenery and that was it. Next was the Erving Center Run that produced the star of the trip - a 6 inch brown with fins and a tail that showed no signs of hatchery markings. The pectoral fins really stand out on a fish like this. They are long and wide and look like a set of oars. A rainbow around 14 inches made its appearance before I moved upstream. Both fish fell for my possum nymph. The Center is a great place and is totally overlooked by fly fishers, fly fishing groups and the fly fishing media. It does have its "regulars" and I've been one for over 30 years. Orcutt will always draw the crowds which will keep the numbers down at the Center.


The last stop was to say hi to the Kempfield and that decision worked out fine as there were two browns working the surface and I got them both. They weren't bruisers but required careful casting under conditions that got windy.

The EB - I had to somehow make up for that T'Storm shortened trip of earlier in the week by putting in a good four hours working this river. The storms changed everything by bringing the water up considerably, knocking down the "rise" but not turning off the trout. The possum nymph, which actually looks like an insect instead of a day glow extraterrestrial ruled the day with 7 hits, 6 hooked and 5 landed.


The browns didn't make an appearance as the stage was occupied by rainbows and one gorgeous male brook trout, in full autumn colors, of about 13 inches long. It was a beautiful trout!!

Now some notes - This post and the previous post dealt with three trips totaling about 8 hours where 15 trout were landed. "What's so big about that?" you may ask. But wait a minute!! This is mid September and I was fishing over trout that were stocked over 4 months ago. And these trips were on the backwaters of freestones like the Millers and the EB and not on the popular tailwaters of our area. In short, why wait for the stocking trucks to roll in late September or roll the dice on some future date that could be rained out anyway. FISH NOW if you possibly can. YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE EVENING to fish. We are in EARLY FALL (sun angle in the sky is the same as late March/early April) and the temperatures reflect that. The freestone trout did very well this Summer and they are active.

Check out my COMMENTS section for the last few posts. Some readers are gracious enough to tell you where they have done well and that is a very good thing!!!!!

My possum nymph was a size 12, tied on a wet fly hook, and it fooled those holdover trainees!

Ken




.


12 comments:

Dalton Jones said...

Hey ken just spent a few hours this morning on the EB where I brought 2 rainbows and 2 browns to the surface on an adams dry and had one bigger brown or bow evade me 3 times and wasn't able to land him there was an hour and half maybe 2 hour window where the trout were feeding on the surface and luckily I was there!

P.S the trout fought well and were released with a spunk in the swim... fall is here!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dalton,

You are getting it done!!!!!!! I guy that I guided on the EB back in July has worked an Adams successfully just recently. I saw a few large gray mayflies yesterday that I couldn't really identify that would of been represented closely with an Adams. Let's hear it for the retro flies!!!!!

Ken

Brian Fay said...

Hi Ken my name is Brian Fay I am an avid reader of your blog and have taken a trip with you on the EB a few years back. My brother had arranged it for when I graduated high school. I was wondering if you could send me a copy of your millers river guide packet. I have fished kempfield a few times but I'm thinking to try some spots in bears den. Thanks ! Brian Fay

George L. said...

Ken,

I fished the Millers on Thursday pm and the flow was manageable. Now it's risen but I don't remember and rain. Could they be playing with the flows?

George L.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

George,

Actually we had scattered thunderstorms Thursday evening and that's what spiked the flow. If they were playing with the flow we would see more of a up/down cycle.

Ken

Gary said...

First let me say how greatful I am to have 6 miles of good c&r water (the EB) located so close to my home. Changed my habits this morning and fished the gorge side of the c&r, left my car in the parking lot and walked 2 1/2 miles to a spot that's been good to me but nothing, saw some otters that could be why. Went backed to the 2 mile marker nice run 2 nice fish 1 bow 1 brown fooled with a #16 hi float attractor (mad scientist) this is a great fly I will never ty a natural caddis again. Both fish inhaled this fly on top,hooked right in the corner of there mouths they fought hard but the 4wt. won. They are still there waiting for ya. Oh only 1 other angler, Jim, great guy nice talking to him.

Bill/Tully said...

Small water fishing. East Swift River below Quaker Ln., #18 EHK and green bombers, on FF705/1492 combo. 6 smaller browns hit, 4 to net. Feisty critters. Almost makes me forget the Millers. Well.......

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Otters!!!!!!!!!! In my favorite spot!! Going there tomorrow morning to check it out!

Bill/Tully,

You picked a great spot.

Ken

Sam said...

I love reading the fly fishing posts! My contribution, Saturday afternoon/evening I hit the zone of the Swift I love to fish. It was just me, the river, and the risers. The area hasn't been stocked for over two months, so while others have lost interest (thankfully), I have not.

A trout rising against the opposite bank I could never get to hit, though I must have cast to it 50 times with various flies. Another upstream of me took an ant, but was quickly long distance released after it took to the air, a nice brown that usually go deep when hooked in this area.

Back to the original riser, no dice again, but a nice one started rising downstream which took the elk hair caddis without hesitation. I thought I was bound to bring that nice one in, but the tippet broke and that was all she wrote. A few nice brookies brought to net, I love them and they are always appreciated.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Another good, "off the beaten path" tale. A trout from there is worth much more than a trout from a heavily stocked destination river!!!

Ken

Mark said...

Ken can you say a little more about the possum nymph? I'm unfamiliar with it. Thanks!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mark,

Backcast to my August 29 post for a photo of the possum nymph.

Size 12 to 16 nymph or wet fly hook (I like the wet fly hook.

non toxic wire wrapped arond the hook shank

body of dubbed Australian possum fur that is olive or yellow

very fine copper wire for the rib

take a brown sharpie and color the BACK of the nymph

tails are optional

there you go!