Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Perfect Fly Tying Vise And A Readers Streamer


"On the other hand, when a trout refuses to take your fly, the answer isn't always to step down from a 5X tippet to a 6X, and then from a 6 to a 7. I always try to figure out how I can make my drift better before I start to re-rig. Many times the problem turns out to be operator error rather than tippet size. In other words, it's a poor workman who blames his tools before he's eliminated all other more likely possibilities." - John Gierach


It's over 30 years ago and I'm packed into a crowded exhibition hall somewhere off of Rt 495 to attend, what once was, the premier fly fishing show in Massachusetts. Many of the displays were the same-old-same-old until I saw something catch my eye. There was this scruffy exhibitor placing saltwater hooks into this weird vise and then BENDING THEM BACKWARDS. The exhibitor was Jerry Doiran and he was the inventor of the Regal Vise.

Let's talk about the vise. It was totally unique and worked on a principle that was totally ass backwards
from all existing fly tying vises. All other vises, when they are not holding a fly, are at "rest". To make the vise "work" you adjust the tension or "grip" of the jaws to suite the hook, load the hook into the vise, probably adjust the jaws again if it's a hook size change and then start tying hoping that the hook is held firmly by the vise. With the Regal Vise the jaws are NEVER at rest. To load a hook into the vise you press a lever which opens the jaws, place your hook in the jaws and then release the lever. That hook will never move. No adjustments to the tension are needed because the jaws are SELF ADJUSTING!!!!! A metallurgist friend of mine who examined the vise said it was a pure example of Yankee Engineuity!!! Jerry was French Canadian but I don't think he would be offended!

The Regal Company has always been a Massachusetts company, starting on the Cape (that's Cape Cod for the newbies) and then moving to Orange Ma. the 1980's. Jerry was an inventor who had a couple of dozen patents to his name. He invented the child proof lighter, sold the patent and moved to Florida. I used to run into him on the Millers and he would always give me hints about what new idea was in his head. He was the first person that I saw fish a San Juan Worm! His brother "T" Doiran took over the company after Jerry flew south. "T" passed away and the company was bought by and is now in the capable hands of Don Barnes who brought the company into the 21 century with an expanded line of neat products. Regal is still in Orange Ma.

The best dry fly artisan that I know of is Dan Trela and he uses a Regal Vise.

Here's your chance to "buy local". Get a Regal Vise, the last vise you'll ever need.

P.S. - I get nothing for this endorsement.


A Good Streamer

Reader Kevin Burbick submitted this streamer fly with the accompanying story:

Caught a laker on the fly at Wachusett. Key was using intermediate line. Caught him on a white streamer of my own design sort of (based on Alaskabou steelhead flies). Tie in two white marabou feathers to make a tail on a #6 streamer hook. Just the tops, enough to make a solid tail. Then fold and palmer marabou towards the hook eye brushing towards tail with hand as you go. When you run out of marabou, throw in some strands of flashabou and repeat until you get to the hook eye. You may want a bead or cone because it is fairly buoyant. Really was a decent match for the dead smelt I saw on the beach. Basically a white leech. Not really a "guide fly" because it does take time to tie but I like the way it looks.

Way to go Kevin!!!

Ken






17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Great article. I believe that I saw that hook bending demo at a show at, I believe, the Sheraton in Boxboro Ma. years ago. I bought one!!

Rick

Anonymous said...

Hello Ken, do you have any suggestions for tail water rivers within 1.5 to 2 hours from NYC? I felt like the Swift was the only place I could fish in winter and now in NY I am not familiar with any. Thanks!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 1;35 pm

Glad that you asked!!

First off would be the Farmington River. The contact would be: Up Country Fly shop in New Hartford CT. They will tell you where to fish from their website. They are first rate! They maybe too far away from you so:

Closer to you is the East Branch of the Croton River. It is a tailwater that, from what I know, fishes well through the winter months. Contact the "Mid Hudson Chapter of Trout Unlimited" and see if they can point you in the right direction. There are a number of videos about that stream online, especially during the cold months. I spoke to their Chapter last winter and they are good guys.!!

Good luck and tell me how you did.

Ken

Unknown said...

I have a Regal and like it very much.

Josh S. said...

Love my Regal. Started out with a $15 cabelas vise to see how I liked it, tied on that for almost a year and bought a Regal stainless, doubt i'll even buy another vise again.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Richard,

Regals Rule!! No bells and whistles, just good solid stuff!!

Josh,

Started with a Thompson years ago. Went to a Universal which was nice and locally made (I believe) but the Regal is quicker and foolproof!!!

Ken

BobT said...

I love the Regal...I started on one tied about 25,000 flies for Hunter's Angling then got stupid & went to the dark side(Renzetti & DynaKing)actually they are both excellent vises and American made too. Now back to the Regal for about 5 years with the stainless jaws which are perfect for all trout sized flies and give a bit more working room than the standard jaws which are perfectly acceptable too..if you tie small a lot the stainless makes sense.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I have the midge jaws which came out before the stainless midge jaws. Maybe some day I'll upgrade but I can easily work a size 26 with them. I have a set of BIG hook jaws with a BIG slot in the jaws for the larger saltwater hooks. Nice touch!

Ken

BobT said...

The midge jawed vise is a fine vise...now that the stainless is available that is what I would recommend for most of your followers. Either is a great choice over whatever else is available for trout sized hooks in my opinion but remember any vise no matter how fancy or expensive wont make you a better tier-only your eyes and fingers and practice will help you tie better flies. The regal is just so secure in its hook holding and there are no adjustments to make to hold a hook I can't see any reason to use anything else. True rotary is a feature that many want but barely actually use. I keep the DK around because it has two slots in it for saltwater sized hooks but thats all I use it for now.

Dan said...

A litle imformation on the Regal Stainless.I bought a Regal Stainless vise 3 years ago for tying midges 26-32, at the recomendation of a professional tyer.I became quickly frustrated with it for tying very small flies.The edges on the jaws are rounded so much that getting a small hook into a workable position often resulted in the hook being shot out of the vise.I think the old head or the midge head are probably more suited for smaller hooks than the stainless head.I was hoping the Regal Stainless would be the last vise I ever bought.I wasn't.Seeing that at times I also work with larger hooks I opted for an HMH and two sets of jaws.One set being true midge jaws.I liked the Regals simplicity.I wish they hadn't rounded the edges of the jaws so much.The HMH is made in Maine.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dan,

I know a fellow, also named Dan, and I saw him tie a size 30 snowshoe emerger with the Stainless jaws. I would, if you are local, contact Regal about the rounded jaws. Seems to me that the ones I've seen are not so rounded.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Just be careful when setting a small hook in the Regal as they can pop out resulting in chipped jaws. On my second set of jaws which now have a chip. I only use the Regal for large hooks and a Rezentti traveler for my trout flies as I like the rotary function and clearance.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 1:03pm

I've been using Regal Vises for 30 years and have never chipped a jaw.

Ken

mike said...

I bought my first Regal from Hunter's up down in New Boston probably 20 years ago and I'll never buy another brand. I have had issues with chipping, though. I've purchased newer jaws, specifically the midge jaws, and have never had an issue with the new ones. Perhaps they've changed their steel specs?

BobT said...

I have never chipped a jaw and tie often down to size 26 with no issues on my vise. If you place the hook correctly in the vise there is plenty of room for the vise to grip the hook.

Unknown said...

I would still be careful with small flies - Just because you guys never chipped a jaw doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I chipped one and it hit my eye glasses. I still use my 30+ year old regal though - Regal replaced the chipped jaws for free. But at times I wish I had a rotary.

/marc

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Marc,

Regal has a rotary vise. Still have to be careful of the jaws as with any vise.

Ken