Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, November 2, 2017

The Swift And The Dark Season

"Watching was my Harvard and my Yale" - Novelist Craig Nova on his education as a fisherman

Note: landing net found on the Stillwater.  See Comments to get it back - Ken
Note: (11/2) The brookies on the Swift are lining up on the spawning gravel and the bows are behind them.  Don't know about above RT 9 because fishing is so great below. Again, SR2 Sparkle in sizes 18 through 24 WORK for brookies and bows.  Size 12 to 14 eggs with some flash nail the bows. The bows are between 16 and 20 inches. I've also seen a 24+ inch brown down there. I will not tell you where but it's not in the usual places!!


The Dark Season

Well, it's that dreaded time of year again. Sunday we turn the clocks back and our evenings on the river well come to an end. I have always hated this day because the last 2 hours of daylight are always special and after the "turn back" they will be gone until mid March where we still may have a foot of snow to deal with. For years I could leave work at 4pm and catch an hour on the water. Then the clocks changed and it would be dark at 4:30pm. I did catch a reprieve by retiring this Summer so I can fish during bankers hours all week long. In fact. I've had a lot of interest by those who like to play hooky on occasion (we play hooky and never ask for a "hall pass"!) to spend some mid day hours on the river. We can make our own hours like noon to 3pm or a 10 to 4 outing. Whatever you want! Just contact me. We have plenty of comfortable days left in November and early December.


The Swift This Week


Bows and brookies and then some more!!! The brook trout have not yet covered the traditional spawning sites but they are starting to make a presence. Both bows and brook trout are falling for RS Sparkle-2's in sizes 18 through 24 and egg patterns, the flashier the better. BTW, some of my clients have been realizing that you don't need 7,8,or 9X to fish sizes 18-24 on the Swift. 5X and the occasional 6x works fine with tiny sunken flies and BIG fish. And it's easier on the trout because the battles are shorter and that's a good thing! 





The Millers

2800 cfs and over 2000 for a week = See you in May

The EB
550 and dropping. I may take a trip to Les's to see if some spring holdovers still want to play but that will be after we get down to the sub 250 cfs range. I'll see you there Gary!

The Ware
470 cfs and slowly dropping. Don't give up on this sleeper because it's been good this year. When the flow drops below 300 hit it!

Ken









17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

When you are fishing flies like RS2 Sparkle Wing and other 20's and smaller are you fishing them with an indicator and weight?

Brad Clark

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Brad,

Sometimes but most my clients

Ken

Gary said...

On the Swift at 7am (dark and chilly) but fun, many brookies and one nice bow who gave a great fight to me and my 3wt. Then I looked up and and there were 9 guys from the pipe to the fast water time to go. Cheer up Ken Mass. legislature is trying get us on permanent daylight savings (don't hold your breath). Yes next the EB.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Welcome AGAIN to what the Swift is and what it can be. This past Saturday it was packed. Sunday it was empty from 8 to 10 am. Go figure!!

The season winds down and I can't stop thinking of the West Branch. It is a great trout stream. Thank You!!!!! I will see you at Les's if the Trout Gods allow!

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

I quit work a bit early for an hour's worth of fishing on the part of Bondsville I like to fish. Nothing doing, though I might have had a hit on a partridge and orange along with a split shot that I was drifting at the end of a riffle area.

Ready to pack it in at 6 I heard a huge splash 25' or so downstream of me. Big enough splash that it actually startled me a bit. I didn't see any beavers or ducks so it must have been a fish. Tossed the P & O into the area and I either hooked up with a nice fish or the bottom, not sure. In any case I was broken off and it was too dark to tie on a different fly. I was of the mind to tie on a mouse pattern fly for the heck of it, but was unable.

Regards, Sam

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Maybe some of those bows that you fished over on the EB in September are still there. Is it worth the trip?

GW

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I was there the other day and didn't have a strike. At least you heard/encountered something big. It's always been a great summer spot. Not so good during the Fall at least for me.

GW,

Saw some anglers below the Gorge this morning when I was scouting the place. Maybe one was you! The water is still high but fishable. If you were there let me know how you did.

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

It is indeed hit or miss in the fall. Not sure why that is. I have actually done better in December when all the leaves are down, so maybe that is the reason. The next time out I am going to try unfamiliar zones below route 9.

Sam

Jim said...

Maybe a longshot but I found a net at the Stillwater River in Sterling 11/3. It's just a net but still... Describe it and we can meet up, I'll be there a lot the next few days.

Jim

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jim,

Send me a private email so the owner can get back to you.

Ken

Jim said...

Email sent, thanks Ken.

Sam said...

Got off of my skunk train today, Ken, with a Royal Coachman streamer and a pheasant tail nymph dropped off of the hook bend. Not usually the way I fish, but it resulted in a beautiful rainbow that was strong as could be.

In another zone I waded across making sure no brookie redds were in peril and tossed the same set up with no results. I saw a few subtle rises and tried one the rabbit foot emerger pattern in a size 18. A beautiful brook trout took it, deeper than I like to remove a hook, even barbless. Forceps got the job done and off it went no worse for wear I trust. There was another rising, but I let it be to tend to spawning duties.

That brook trout was of good size for around these parts and just stunning with its bright colors.

Best Regards, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Good work!!

Ken

BobT said...

I hope I a mis-interpreting but you aren't fishing for spawners, right. Based on my years of reading your blog...I would think not but you are mentioning redds and great fishing...thats a no no ...stay away from Redds and or spawning fish-I'm guessing I am jumping the gun but I see so many knuckleheads that I have to speak up.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob T,

For years I've been writing about fishing over spawners BECAUSE the Swift brookie population gets better every year regardless of the fishing. So far there's no negative impact. If there is THEN we do something!

Ken

BobT said...

we can agree to disagree...I'd rather have all the spawners completely left to do their thing. You know there are idiots and poachers on the Swift...the less pressure the better IMO but thus far its apparently thriving. Have you spoken with biologists on the brown and brookie situation lately; it seems that the river is in good shape despite their "management" inputs.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I have spoken to one of the biologists about the brookies and someone else has spoken about the browns. Thankfully, there isn't a lot of "management" going on here. Just Mother Nature doing here thing!

Ken