Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

A Product Endorsement

Above all, observe the fish. Better yet, observe the trout  as if you were a predator that needs to catch it, not just a participant in a game. Edited-for-action fly fishing videos, especially ones with hard-rock soundtracks and rambunctious high fives, won't really prepare you for approaching big, spooky trout.  Watching your pet cat will give you a better idea of how a predator moves when stalking it prey" - Bob Wyatt, What Trout Want: The Educated Trout And Other Myths

                                                                          

I don't like to do product endorsements because it fuels the "buying instinct" of a lot of anglers which is "the more that I own the better I will become". An $800 fly rod will not make you a better caster than a $300 fly rod but a $300 fly rod with two hours of casting lessons with an instructor will!
Having every tool imaginable dangling from your neck may be impressive in the parking lot but how often do you REALLY use or need them? There are things that we really need and when purchasing we should always go for VALUE and not marketing hype. That is why I give a "hats off" award to Fly Shack and their line of Saber barbless hooks!

Most of the trout flies that I tie are on these hooks. They have that dark, no glare finish, are super sharp and extremely strong. Currently they seem to stop at size 20 but that still covers 90%b of my fly fishing. (their barbed hooks are available down to 26). Now, here's the kicker- THEY COST $6.99 p/hundred!!!! How does that compare with, let's say, the company that offers $80 leader clippers and $250 fly fishing pliers? Their barbless hooks sell at $8.95 p/25!!!! That's 35 cents per hook vs 7 cents per hook and you cannot tell them apart. These guys will be at the Marlborough in January. Check them out and check out the hooks!

As usual, I get NO discounts, merchandise or favors for passing this info on to you.

It's ZERO as I write this. Winter sucks!!

Ken







18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,Thanks for information on the hooks.I just ordered 200.Most Orvis hooks are made by Daiichi.Thanks again.

tincup said...

A Great Great Great company. They worked with me replacing ferrets on a bamboo rod. Several telephone calls, some facetime, and samples sent back in forth. All for a cost under 10 bucks. Cant say enough about the company and owners. Great deal on blank bamboo if you want to make your own. I was just rebuilding. Going to this years show just to meet in person. Maybe the extreme cold will keep the catch and keep crowd away next week. Also I get nothing for this endorsement.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 9:09 am

You are one of those who GET IT. I order up to close to a thousand at a time. No regrets!

TinCup (Bob)

They have everything. It would be good if we could meet up. I'll go the first day if the weather allows. If they can offer nickel ferrules I am in. Let me know when you can go. I'm flexible.

en

Anonymous said...

Hope they never call them "tactical" hooks as then the price will rise!!! The word tactical attached to fishing or hunting gear makes my blood boil!

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, they are nice hooks, price & a super company to deal with. What I also like about ordering hooks from them is they have a comparison chart right there. So if your use to using a certain type, it helps you figure out the sister in the saber brand.

Lenny said...

Not only do they give you bang for your buck, I’ve never had one of these hooks bend. Even the small hooks on bigger fish in faster current

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 1:16pm

Man, you nailed it!!! So what are the "tactical" hooks made for, the Navy Seals???? So slap a military term on the product and now it's better?? Give the market a break!!!!

Ken

BobT said...

Those are very good hooks I have used them over the years but if your local shop has the "new" Mustads(chemically sharpened) they are excellent and very affordable. I was in LL Beans the other night doing some last minute buying and went up to their tying area which is pretty basic but they carry the Mustad chemically sharpened hooks as well as Umpqua and I bought a few packs...$3.25 for 25 which is not as good as the Sabers but about half the price of the Umpqua's. I've been using them over Umpqua for dry, wet and nymphs for a few years and I have to say....they are sharp and strong and haven't come across a bad hook yet. The only styles I go away from them now are the scud/curved styles.

Anonymous said...

I generally like all things from fly shack. In a sport where everything costs a fortune they are a breath of fresh air. Barbless Sabre Hooks top the list of my favorites. The only exception is their dry flies. I ordered a few in a pinch and they were beyond garbage. There isn't enough floatant in the universe to keep those things afloat for more than a drift. Hackle used was poor. All other flies i've bought from them over the years have been great for the price point.
Happy New Year folks.
-Dave

Sam said...

Ken, I appreciate the heads up on the Fly Shack hooks. I am going to the Marlborough show this year and will stock up on some.

You are right, winter sucks, most especially this cold snap between Christmas and New Years. I took the rest of my vacation time this week hoping to fish, but no way I'm fishing in these cold temps. Probably not even good for the trout to get caught in this kind of cold. I will use the time to tie up some favorite flies.

Regards, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I've always been a fan of the Mustad line of hooks.

Anonymous 7:02,

That's the chance you take with mail order flies.

Sam,

I used to ice fish years ago but even this weather may be too cold for that activity.

Lenny,
Once, a few years ago, I had an eye on a hook that wasn't closed. That's it.

DRYFlYGUY,

Another reason to go with them!!!

Ken

Bob O said...

Been using them for a few years and find them very acceptable. Can't beat the value. Like a fellow reader, perhaps I've found one misshapen eye in all I've used.

Lenny said...

Ken,

l’ve ran into that problem 2-3 times out of the 2000 or so hooks l’ve ordered. But hey, the deal you get on them is so good that l don’t think l would be bothered if 10 per pack had that issue.

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,
I've had some cracking hooks from the best of the makers over the decades. Saber isn't any worse and the price....... Happy New Year!!

Bob O,

They are good hooks!!!

BTW, I went for a walk to the Pipe at 11am today. Two cars in the parking area but nobody fishing. They may of frozen to death and drifted downstream. With 4 layers of poly and fleece I was chilled by the time I got time the Pipe. It was 3 degrees and the wind was blowing. I love fly fishing but..............

Happy New Year!!

Ken

Unknown said...

Ken, once you step in the water it gets warm! Ha I may venture out tomorrow since, gotta scratch the itch from being in the past couple of weeks and use up the rest of the 2017 license.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ross,

Took a walk down to the Pipe yesterday. There were two cars in the lot but I saw no anglers. Even with four layers on it was too cold to be down there. Spring is just three months away!!!!

Bought my 2018 license today instead.

Ken

Sam said...

Thanks for the reminder, Ken, that spring is only three months away! Maybe we will get a January thaw at some point which will find me on the Swift again.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

A January Thaw would be great and then right into an early Spring!!!!!

Ken