Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, December 7, 2017

December On The EB And Calling Him Out

"No fly fisher wakes up in the early morning not knowing where they are going to fish. We know the night before or the day before or if time is at a premium the week before where the first cast will be. We fall asleep thinking of that river and on that drive in the prenatal darkness of that early morning we hope it's a section of river that we can call our own. If you don't "think that" you are not "Fly Fishing" yet." - Kenny Cahill

I had to give it one more try before Winter set in and watching Harvey land a slab bow on the EB last week sealed the deal. I made plans for the EB.

As readers of this blog know for sure the EB was a disappointment this Fall. The DFW failed to stock due to "low flow and high temperatures". My discussion with the regional manager for the area included my observations of shin to knee deep pocket water that was in the mid 50's in early October. Evidently he doesn't fly fish and doesn't recognize GOOD conditions. Anyway, I failed to convince him and he didn't have any luck with me either. The "Have a good Winter" stocking may be back next Fall.

The trout on the EB are a remnant of the May stockings of this year. They hunkered down in deep pools and near spring holes to get through the Summer. Some did and I managed one in the two hours that I was there in the cold, December drizzle. The 14 inch bright bow took my version of a Bread Crust just below the surface. Now, in 38 degree water I would be fishing slow and deep but this fish actually rose to the surface for something so I quickly changed flies and tactics. I said "bright bow" because EB rainbows just don't seem to color up in that river like in other rivers. He still had that hatchery look about him.   Bread Crust Emerger


I decided to spend some time having a stream side lunch (no P & J sandwich for me, that's for kids. Thickly sliced chicken breast over mayo, chipotle relish, tomato slices, Swiss cheese and oatmeal bread filled the bill) and just taking in this early Winter view. Soon the Gorge Road will be covered with snow and this place will be owned by snowmobilers and dogsled teams. (one actually went down the road pulling a 4 wheeler on a training run). Our time will return in late April and hopefully we will have a summer that's not too wet and not too dry.

I finished up by taking a trip to the Swift to catch the obligatory bow and brookie by the Gauge. The brookies are thinning out and the bows are calming down.

Now for the Pipe

It has come to my attention and maybe even yours that a certain user of the internet media has labeled the Pipe area of the Swift the "Toilet Bowl". This labeling is crude, course and crass , denigrates this fine river and the people who use it and is not what I and others would expect from someone who fishes that section frequently.  As readers of this blog know the massive surface activity below the pipe is the result of the nutrient load from the hatchery. This, BTW, is a LEGAL discharge and is probably monitored frequently. (It was standard procedure at the trout hatchery that I worked at 30 years ago.). It would be a wild leap of logic/science to even suggest that this discharge is a form of  pollution justifying the "Toilet Bowl" moniker.  This certain media user would probably be heartbroken to realize that there are three WWTP's just above New Hartford on his precious Farmington which, BTW, has had some serious bacterial problems. It too is not a Toilet Bowl!

One is entitled to ones opinion but you better be able to back up your name calling or you will be called out!!!!

Ken






12 comments:

Hibernation said...

Ken -

Thanks for the history lesson on parachutes the other day - that post was great.

Bummer to think someone called the pipe area the toilet bowl... Have they ever fished Erving Center, heck, how about that nice water from the 78/2A interchange in Orange down through the depot on the millers... WAY cleaner than years ago, but, often, when catching sipping trout on emergers on a nice evening, or swinging streamers for smallmouths, the sweet smell of soap comes off the river in those areas...

Hope he never tries to fish the productive warm water fishery of the Nashua around "the burg" and Leominster... Or the great little wild trout streams that flow into it... The Nashua, despite WWTP's along it's path, still makes the Millers look like a Montana spring creek.

Any way... That's to bad to hear. I'm sometimes glad I dont explore the internet all that much...

Happy Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years.
Will

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will,

Good points as usual.

There is still much that has to be done protecting our rivers but to "imply" that something has to be done with the Swift is over the top.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken

I agree with you. I don't get the "toilet" part!

GW

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

I'd like to thank you for the service that you're doing by giving free, useful information out to anglers unfamiliar with the Millers. It's a good thing to see in current day. I'd really appreciate it if you sent that along, because i'm planning some fall fishing there but have never been.
Thanks alot!

Jerrod Jones

Bob O said...

Ken,
If that moniker is enough to keep him from fishing the river, that’s our gain and his loss. Keep up the good work calling out the story tellers and ringing the bell for fly fishing. Always appreciate your contributions.
Good for you making a 'final' tour of the EB. April seems far off.
See you on the water.

YellowstoneBound said...

Ken,

Is it possible that the “toilet bowl” reference was made as a comparison to the toilet boil section of the Frying Pan river. I’ve fished that, and I can see the analogy. In the case of the Frying Pan, its where the reservoir discharges into the river proper, and serves as a nutrient condenser and draws the largest fish in the river. Now, I’ve not seen the post you refer to, but just wanted to put that out there...

Millers River Flyfisher said...

YellowstoneBound,

Good to hear from you!

No chance of that.

Ken

Not an auto mechanic but... said...

I'm not picking sides but if you're talking about who I think you are, this is probably just a misunderstanding. I'm not a follower of his blog but first thing I saw of him referencing it as the toilet bowl was this, "This area can be productive. The extra nutrients from the hatchery nearby means more bugs. I at times jokingly call this stretch “The Toilet Bowl.” All that organic stuff means that Simulium, or black flies, are particularly common. Conditions at times make for easy fishing, which is why some call it “The Kiddie Pool.” .....He doesn't seem to be using it in a negative way. I don't see the big deal. It's always gonna be called the pipe one silly blogger won't change that.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

David h,

The problem here is labels, especially negative ones,stick. We have an Administration and a Congressional majority who would love to kill the EPA and
disembowel the the clean air and water act among other safeguards. And if they see that someone "likes" fishing a toilet bowl then they will say "why all the safeguards, they like fishing toilet bowls". That's the way they react and the way they go about changing public opinion. The Swift IS NOT A TOILET BOWL and should not be referred to as such.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

I agree with you I take offense to this as well. I've been fishing the river and that area for 30 years now. I first went there with my dad as he taught me how to fly fish and now I take my daughter's there as I pass down the tradition and my love for our sport and the amazingly beautiful places it takes us. I also have nice memories there of times spent down there with my dog who passed away this past august, this was his favorite place to go and I took him there the day before he passed on for one last trip fishing.

It feels like a disrespect to the Swift and the wonderful resource that it is, people who would call a river a remark like this most likely wouldn't take care of it and throw their trash along the bank as well.

Ryan

NHwildbow said...

Ken,

I know the writer of that blog and I think this is a big misunderstanding. He didn't mean to attribute the Swift to a polluted water body, I mean it's certainly one of the most productive coldwater fisheries in New England. I think that name is a misnomer and is playing into the fact that effluent is discharged from the Pipe (even if it meets EPA standards). That said, I understand where you are coming from. This administration has made it clear that it does not care for the environment or sportsmen so this could inadvertently play into their actions.

Take care,

Ashu

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ashu,

You understand where I am coming from. Years ago the Millers, which was deemed clean enough to hold trout through the entire season, was blasted by locals and one area outdoor writer as an "open sewer". It took YEARS to wash that unsubstantiated stain from the pubic perception. "Toilet Bowl" doesn't help.

Ken