Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Thinking Spring Already - The Quill Gordon


"That is night fishing, the essence of angling, the emperor of sports. It is the gorgeous gambling game in which one stakes the certainty of long hours of faceless fumbling, nerve-racking starts, frights, falls and fishless nights against the off-chance of hooking into - not landing necessarily or even hooking into - a fish as long and as heavy as a railroad tie and as unmanageable as a runaway submarin - My favorite Sparse Grey Hackle guote repeated again. Question - Does anyone fish past dusk anymore? I know that some of the Millers Gang does because I'm one of them. The Tailwater Crowd??? Not so much - Sparse and Me
Photo By Thomas Ames, Jr.
It was late April when a client and I crossed over Church Street to fish the Ware on that cool Spring day. We met another angler who had just gotten out of the water and was complaining about the amount of ticks that he had on his waders. "Better be careful" he said. "Ticks on waders" was not what he had and I didn't have the heart to tell him. His "ticks" were Quill Gordon nymphs which will begin to move around and cling to any structure, even you, before they start to hatch.




This fly, along with the Hendricksons, are my favorite springtime flies.They both hatch at mid day and their life cycle is always spent during bankers hours. But the Quill Gordon is different. First, It's short and squat as most clinger nymphs are. The nymphs are smaller than the hendrickson species even though the adult mayflies are about the same size. (most mistake the Q.G. adult for the hendrickson. The Q.G. has 2 tails, the hendrickson has three) The BIG difference with the Gordon is that this nymph doesn't rise to the surface to shed its nymphal shell or even crawl to a rock to hatch and fly away. This guy sheds its shell ON THE STREAM BOTTOM and rises through the water column as a fully formed adult with its wings trailing behind.
The best imitation for this emerging fly is the (you guessed it) soft hackle style, brown/olive in color in a size 12. I developed my own emerger which I will work out this Spring:

Hook - size 14 to 16 wet or dry style

Body - 3 pheasant tail fibers using the tips as the tail (cut one tip off since the insect only has 2 tails).

Rib - fine cooper wire

Trailing Wing - Grey midge zelon or grey CDC.

Head/Thorax - peacock

The strike to the emerging adult is vicious since they must be rising through the water quickly.

The Ware has a great hatch as does the EB surprisingly. The Millers has hendricksons but no Quill Gordons. The Swift has both but not many.

The Quill Gordons are the official start of my dry fly season. Only 4 months to go.

Ken






12 comments:

BobT said...

I have never personally run into a quill gordon that I know of, then again its been quite some time since I hit the heart of a Hendrickson hatch...the past few years have been "fish when you can" more than "plan when you fish" but thats going to change..I can see where the traditional winged pattern might be a good imitation too which is fun to tie ...any excuse to use a traditional winged patterns is fine by me.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

If it's mid April to mid May and you are on a trout stream your chances of running into one of these great daytime hatches is very good. When I see them in the air the heavy nymphs come off and the unweighted wets and emergers go on. Next to the dry fly this is the most exciting form of fly fishing especially using the traditional flies.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how many effective flies for fishing bottom to top are made with pheasant tail and peacock. Not that i want to try, but I bet one could be pretty well set just fishing these combos.

Unknown said...

"They both hatch at mid day and their life cycle is always spent during bankers hours."

Always is a dangerous word when it comes to bugs and fly fishing. Some of my best Hendrickson fishing (spinners usually but duns occasionally) takes place in the early morning hours if it is either hot or the evening before is stormy and the following morning is mild and windless. On such days I have had the luck of fishing morning spinner falls with nobody on the water, the duns at their traditional time and then another spinner fall.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

James,

The post was about NORMAL weather conditions for this hatching fly. I never mentioned the spinner stage for either QC or Hendricksons.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Years ago there used to be huge hatches of the Q. Gordon on the Squannie from 11ish to 2pm. All you needed was 50 degree water and 60 degree air. I love seeing them.

A.F.

Lenny said...

I usually go by myself and the frights are the worst. No matter how well I know an area it always is on the mind. Usually my outing consists of me making noises to not step on any critters' toes.

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,

My biggest concern with night fishing is tripping, stumbling or falling. Also I hate changing flies in the dark. I used to tie on something BIG with 2x to solve that problem.

Ken

Bob O said...

"...as long and as heavy as a railroad tie and as unmanageable as a runaway submarine."
Love that! Reminds me of connecting with the salmon in Pulaski - like tying into a greyhound bus. I can only imagine what that may feel like in the blind darkness of 2 AM.

I have often threatened to night fish. Dragging a deerhair mouse across the surface of the depths of the lower Swift. And still am dreaming of it.

Your April meander in the midst of our coldest snap so far this fall has me dreaming as well.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

You're one of my favorite commentators! My big brown on Sandy Creek in Brockport NY felt the same way.

Sometimes I think that if a few of us met at dark on the Swift or wherever, split up and fished to the wee hours and then met up to tell the tale it would be a good experience. Not now, but from May onward. Just a thought.

The Quill Gordon was meant to ignite some early cabin fever!!!!

Ken

Sam said...

Only 4 months to go until the dry fly season. Ken, thanks for putting that optimistic thought in my mind on a cold and snowy night. It will be here before we know it. Days will be getting longer soon which is always a good sign.

Regards, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

This is the worst of the year - only 5 days to go til the shortest day of the year and single digit nights. Remember, only 2 months til the sap runs!!!!

Ken