Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Swift Right Now And Who Reads This Blog



"When the facts change, it makes sense to adjust our options to fit the facts, rather than just stick to our guns. This may seem like a chickenhearted approach to life, but otherwise what you have is reactionary chauvinism of one stripe or another. I guess it depends on whether you think your dyed goose biots are worth a stand-up fight"  Bob Wyatt, What Trout Want



So..... I took a break from tying many, many flies and decided to check out the Swift. This is what happens when there is no REAL break from fly fishing. It's on the brain everyday and there is no real cure. My recourse is to check out some open water and that means the Swift and hopefully there will be some relief. What does the Swift look like? (I wasn't fishing at 3 degrees)

This morning I passed the Y Pool parking lot at 9am and saw no cars. I parked at the Pipe with the same result. I walked down to the Pipe and saw only dozens of mallards taking advantage of the open water, yes open water. There were many footprints but no anglers (as late last week). I believe that the water down by Cady Lane was icing over as it was above the crib dam and the ducks were looking for something to swim in. In fact, ice was forming on the edges of the flat below the gauge just like 2015.
                                                                         Open Water At Quabbin

I was a bit surprised that Quabbin was, at least for a mile out as I could see, was ice free. Quabbin freezes over many times but I think that the north wind as kept it open a bit longer. It's water is COLD and it will probably freeze up if the temperatures stay low and the winds die down.

Is it worth fishing? Probably not for you or the trout. In late January and through February the air temperature will rise into the 30's and the 40's and that will will change things. The Y Pool, on a sunny day, can bring feeding fish near the surface. The best of the Swift anglers will target that spot!!!

2017 was a GREAT year for this blog which was it's 10th year. I measure reader comments as the first indicator of strong readership. Second comes page views and last is "Hits"

Visits count first, page views are second and, in a meaningless way, hits come in third.

Here's the accepted equation:  3 page views generate, on average, 45 hits. "Hits" are the total of files downloaded during a visit. Many times the "person" who pulled up the site, pulled up a bunch of files. It's not the total of people pulling up the site. It's not "people" but files!!!!

This blog has a LOT of page views and that's all that really counts because hits don't comment.

Ken














11 comments:

Bob O said...

My limit is about 33F with sun and no wind. I do admit to being tempted with the 25F bandied about, but I'll stay away. Wind is a big deterrent. I'll stay home, keep tying, and wait ...

Unknown said...

Holy crap! the amount of ducks below the tree pool this afternoon was nuts. I was there about an hour and a half, no other anglers, and despite a huge pellet hatch, not many rises. Prior to it I netted two well speckled rainbows that didn't fight at all.

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Too cold for me to walk the Swift but my hat is off to you (when it warms up)

GW

Millers River Flyfisher said...

GW,

Today tied a 100 year old record for the longest string of days where the high temperature was below 30.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ross,

Glad that you saw the ducks too! With water temperature this low the trout are sluggish and you really have to bounce the fly off their heads. A few days in the 30's will correct this!

Ken

Unknown said...

Looks like the temos get a bit more seasonal next week! At least the cold has forced me to fill my fly boxes.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ross, I'll be there next week. Blizzard tomorrow and single digits for the weekend = NEXT WEEK

Ken

Unknown said...

Didn't realize my "temos/temps" typo. Yeah I won't be going near any water until temps rise up next week. This is the time of year where I attempt to catch something at the Y pool. Maybe I'll get lucky this winter.

Sam said...

It has been a tough spell without fishing, much like the old days when there was a closed season and one had to wait till spring to cast flies again. I have tied my fill of flies for a while to be honest and have plenty for when weather allows for fishing again, and well beyond I imagine.

I am re-reading one of my favorite fly fishing books, The Last Pool by Howard T. Walden. A great collection of fly fishing stories that I would recommend to those who love the sport. Days are getting longer noticeably each day, which is a good sign.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I hope that we are turning the corner on this brutal cold. I've spent the last week experimenting on the vise.

Ken

Unknown said...

Great blog. I read nearly weekly and never travel tot he Swift without checking. Additionally, I refer it often as both wonderful information and reading entertainment. Well done ... and many thanks - John C.