Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, March 3, 2018

A Swift Surprise And This Blog

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics" - Benjamin Disraeli




Well, I wasn't going back there and by that I mean the Y Pool. If it wasn't for the deep snow and cold of this rapidly fading winter I may not have fished it at all. Let's face it. It's just too damn crowded up there!.But this deep spot was the only game in town or so we thought. The Pipe and the Tree Pool were supposed to be dead as a door nail and I've heard stories of regulars getting skunked for weeks on end and then just giving up. Time to check it out. After all, it's been a few months since I've fished down there.

Both parking lots on Rt 9 were full at 9am so off to the Pipe parking area where there was one vehicle and he was leaving. I suited up and walked downstream where I found one young fly fisher working the Tree Pool and catching fish!!! I took a small brookie in the first hour while he landed about 6 bows. He had found the trout. He asked me about the fishing downstream and I told him about the brookies and the monster browns. That was all he needed to hear and off he went. I then took two bows and another brookie from the vacated spot and then surrendered the pool to another fly fisher. It was a surprising two hours!! It's best not to listen to gossip but to check it out yourself!


I was told that there is a website that can rank blog popularity and specifically fly fishing blog popularity. A key component of the ranking is the use of the Alexa ranking, a standard tool to measure website popularity. Now, I looked up this site and I'm not on that top 75 list even although my Alexa ranking would put me into the top 20. I'm not there BECAUSE I didn't sign up for that company's service.

I don't think I have to pay for a ranking. It is amazing that this little regional blog does as well as it does. (Note: one blog, ranked ranked eight millionth in popularity with only two posts per month, is in the top 12!!! That's all I need to hear.


Ken





14 comments:

Mark said...

Ken:
I'm unsure if you were going to tie tomorrow, but it turns out I can't make it due to not making reservations at Charlie's. He's full. Hope your presentation goes well!

Mark

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mark,

Just show up. Tell Charlie that I ok'd it!!!!!

Ken

Unknown said...

Oh no, did not know reservations were required for your presentation. Went to their site and did not see the reservation option or suggestion. Was looking forward to attending and changed plans so I could go.

Pete

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Pete,

Just show up!

Ken

HamOnfly said...

I’m going to just show up too
See you guys there
Maybe standing outside
I’ll fetch coffee

BobT said...

Quality over quantity...applies to both fishing and fishing blogs!

Unknown said...

Ken
I love reading your blog keep it up!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Folks,

I had a GOOD time giving my Millers River presentation yesterday at the Evening Sun Fly Shop. We had another great turnout and it's good to see many of you again.

Thank you!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info on the Swift. I had heard that this winter had slowed things down on the River Rd. stretch but your report showed otherwise. I caught one and missed two this weekend.

Steve

Hibernation said...

Wow - talk about "fake news"... Funny to hear about that blog "grading" service Ken. That's ridiculous!

gerrys said...

Ken,

I believe you are "one of a kind" and that is what drives all the interest in your blog. Oh and know one out their that I have read is as concise and gives more of their knowledge the way that you do. Thank you!

Best,

Gerry S. (now on the coast of N.C.)

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gerry S.

"Now on the coast of N.C." - A nice place to be especially if you like to throw flies into the surf! I'll be doing that for a few weeks this month in Florida. Can't wait!!

I'm glad that you enjoy the blog! Doing our best here!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Your site is simply great Ken - always has been. Internet blog "rating service"?? Geez. You can always trust what you read on the internet.... just like you can trust our politicians (names withheld because the list is just way too long).

You always have quality here, and that's what brings us all here. I have learned so much over the years from this site - never change Ken! Great family of folks here and we enjoy what you do for us.

This winter I spent tying a lot of flies to stock up - and most of them were flies I felt I needed and got the ideas from your posts/comments. Where else can you get that....? Nowhere.

See you on the river soon.

Jim M

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jim M,

Thank you very much!

Ken