Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Home Waters - The Freestones, Part 1

"I don't know about you, but I can get tired of fishing in a crowd, even when the fishing itself is real good.....I can even be sociable and have made some friends along trout rivers, but to me a large part of fly fishing is the quiet and solitude" - John Gierach, Fly Fishing Small Streams


I like freestone rivers and central Massachusetts has a bunch of them. One of the reasons that I like them is that they all have a different personality. Tailwaters? Not so much. Turn off the cold water tap and you mayhave an trout stream, maybe not. Freestones shine in the Spring, reward the angler who knows enough not to fish them until the sun is low on Summer evenings and then shine again to the skillful angler in the Fall. Trout fishing on a freestone long after the stocking truck leaves is like trout hunting. A tailwater is close to being a hunting preserve: trout everywhere with, it seems, little regard to your attempts to catch it.

There are no second rate freestones!!

The Ware - this river came into my world a bit late. I now think of how many Quill Gordon and Hendrickson blizzards I missed over the years and according to the old timers that I've met there were a lot! This river is rich and full of insect and like the Millers it holds onto it's browns. Last Spring browns were stocked and browns made up 50% of my catches this past Fall although the Ware didn't get any Fall browns!!

Swing a soft hackle over it's riffles and runs and you will catch fish. A Partridge and Orange and Partridge and olive in sizes 10 through 14 will do the trick. It was also my #1 streamer river last year!

This river is never crowded even at the stocking points and you can have it pretty much to yourself at any time.

The next post will deal with two sister rivers: the West and Middle Branches of the Westfield River.


Keep tying flies and scouting rivers, especially those "thin blue lines." These are the streams whose name and location I never divulge. The DFW still likes to stock some of these little gems with stockers dumped on top of native born fish, I'll divulge those streams but not the real McCoys!!



Ken








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Can't wait to hit the Ware next month. What streamers worked for you?

GW

kevj said...

Ken, what are you talking about?? - the Ware River is the worst for fly fishing - I'd never sent anyone to it. LOL.

Its pretty high right now, though. There are a few remote spots on that river my pal and I like to visit. I know a few other people visit them occasionally, but I've never met anyone while I was fishing them.

I'm with you concerning the thin blue lines - we need to keep somethings to ourselves - for me, much like your quote for today's post - "a large part of fly fishing is the quiet and solitude".

Regards,

kevj

Anonymous said...

How bout the Quabog?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 8:33

Quaboag? You tell me.

Kevj,

People don't fish the Ware because it's too close to the Swift. That's why I like it!

Ken

Anonymous said...

The Quabog? I am no expert - but last few years has been great in the Fall, after the stocking. The quality spots for me were the bridges in Palmer and upstream about 2-3 miles. Seems they dump 'em in there. The water levels last two Falls has been very low - making wading very easy. Buggers, mini-Buggers and sometimes nymphs has produced very well - all very low/on the bottom slow drifted. Some vicious strikes. And depending on the spawning cycle, you may run into large hordes of Fallfish as well; also in very slow pools have run into some decent sized bluegill (surprisingly).

The one issue I have with the Quabog the last few years is the utter lack of decency with trash-dumpers. Never see them, but litter is rampant in the major pull-off areas. Very sad to see. It seems to have gotten worse in recent years.

I like taking a trip or two there in the Fall - but I sincerely hope the slobs trashing the area could get caught.

Side story - 2 years ago ran into a guy that does documentaries on the Nipmuck Indians that lived there many decades ago. He explained at the bridge in Palmer (Rt 20 and long before bridges)--at the botttom of the pool where the fast, shallow water starts - the Nipmucks used to construct "weirs" to trap salmon as a major part of their winter food supply. Ahh the good ol' days...... Jim M

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jim M.

Interesting comment. Trash has been a major concern along a lot of rivers. The Swift down in Bondsville, along the industrial park, was a mess until the town cleaned it up and promoted recreation there.

There were fish weirs on the Ware River too!

Ken