Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Great Fishing Everywhere And Book A June Trip


"If I fished only to catch fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."- Zane Grey



FISH THESE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!! The rivers are running full and cold, insects are hatching and the trout are willing. The Millers is bursting with trout and good daytime fishing will last through June with good flows. The Ware is running at a good level and daytime temperatures are in the 64 degree range - perfect for a freestone. The EB is perfect and you need to get out there. Same with the West Branch and 21 were taken (that's right) from the middle branch with a tenkara rod yesterday!!!!!


Rainfall has been very close to normal out here in Troutland for May and evenings have been cooler than normal and that is exactly what we want. I have some morning and evening trips for June plus full day trips on selected rivers. Email me for details and open dates.


Temperatures on the Ware

Don't think that this river gets too warm for the summer. The Ware has been running cooler (mid 60's) through the day which is cooler than the Millers, a similar freestone. And it holds its browns through the hot, dry months if last year was any indication. There are a lot of browns in the Ware now which will add to the fun.




The Black Spider (A Soft Hackle)

The last 30 fish my clients have caught, on 3 different rivers, have been on a Black Spider. I thank Gary Cranston, the Admiral of the Westfield, for this pattern. He gave us the pattern which is:

1.long black hen for hackle (I use dyed partridge) The hackle cannot be too long. Up to double the length of the hook is fine

2. layer of black thread for the body

3. 2 short strands of crystal flash on each side of the fly by the thorax

For those who fish weighted flies - the "take" on a weighted fly is more of "bump". The take on this soft hackle is a vicious strike as the trout tries to capture this "insect" before it escapes. I love to swing this fly downstream and then "bang"!!!!!

Happy Memorial Day

Ken






12 comments:

Gary said...

Cranson, NO T. That spider and #14 pats rubberlegs using a 3x fluoro tippet is a killer combo. Like the man says on the swing. All you need is a shirt pocket not a pack (for now).

BobT said...

While I hate to acknowledge that simple flies often work best, (because I love tying more than simple flies), that spider sounds like a good one. What sizes are you fishing them Ken? I am going to wrap a few up for the weekend!

The Eye on Harvard said...

Ken,

Been taking your advice and fishing new water. Over the past two weeks I've been exploring the East Branch of the Swift in Petersham, focusing on the river from Carter Pond brook down to the new bridge on Glenn Valley Road as well as a section below rt. 32. These sections are almost entirely shaded by hemlocks which gave some relief to the recent heat. Two weeks ago the stockie brookies were plentiful and feisty hitting reduced black buggers and Lance Egan's Rainbow Warrior. Today, the flow was reduced (about 62 degrees) and their numbers were thinned out but lots of creek chub were eager. I did find a few brookies spread way out and in the fast water that wasn't much deeper than ankle deep or at the tailout of the pools. No fish were rising and the rainbow warrior and a black soft hackle did the trick while a major league mosquito hatch was underway - time to break out the bug spray! The best part of fishing this area was the Country store in Petersham - great eats not to be missed!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Sorry for the misspelling. Must of thought you were from Rhode Island! It's a great fly. Best of the month!

BobT,

Sizes 12, 14 and 16 with starling becoming the feather of choice at 16.

Eye,

That Country Store is a gem that like THAT east branch. It's been years since I've been there.

Ken

Mark said...

Ken-with the success of the black spider, would you consider adding crystal flash to your traditional partridge and orange/red? Does the flash extend past the bend of the hook? Thanks!

Mark

Gary said...

On the water at the WB at 7:30 this morning, air temp 50 degrees, water temp 49 degrees in 2hours it was 50. 1st fish fooled at 7:45, last one at around 10am. In between 14 were fooled with a black and red spider, then after switching to a dry fly leader 1 more fooled with a #14 dun caddis (1st 0ne on top this year). So they are still there and I'm taking the Holiday weekend off,no fishing for me,enjoy.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Very good work!!! I'm sold on the Spider! Hope to get to the WB this weekend.

Mark,

I did add flash to the larger SH flies for a while. I might do it again.

Ken

hockey_dad said...

Hi Ken- spent 4 days in the Connecticut Lakes region last week. In the springtime up there the hope is that smelt will come out of the lakes into the rivers that connect the lakes, one of the best spots is Magalloway. I asked some questions about the fishing and was told they are moving around up there. Drove up there Thursday - it is a 5 hour drive for me so didn't fish much Thursday night but did try it for about an hour and a half in the fly fishing only section above Lake Francis Campground. Its fast water in that stretch with big boulders where you need a good wading staff, last year in the fall I took a tumble in there and got my left leg jammed between two boulders. I was able to limp out of there - barely that night. I was kind of disappointed when I saw the flows, <200 cfs.

Gave it a shot at Magalloway the next morning and saw 1 salmon caught but a lot of suckers and the flows were to me not the type that was needed for good fishing. talked to a few guys and the fact of the matter was the best fishing was over and it took place the previous week. Apparently the lakes were full of water but the electric company was holding the water back which of course reduces the flows. Gave it my best effort for the rest of the weekend but I was skunked.

There were two highlights of the trip:1- on Friday morning about 7am I heard some loud noises in front of my cabin on the First Connecticut Lake I looked up and right in front of my cabin was a bull moose with a huge rack - it was about 10 feet from the cabin. I thought I was in Jurassic Park !2- at 2 am on Friday my oldest daughter gave birth to a baby girl. My first Granddaughter, I am also lucky enough to have 2 Grandsons so to me the trip was a success for reasons other than fishing.

I head back up there in mid June and look forward to it.

Hockey

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hockey,

It seems everything depends on the flows.

Congratulations!!!

Ken

Dave P said...

Hi, Ken. I see you went fishing with my colleague Michael. Cool! Follow-up question about the black spider: how long are the strands of crystal flash? Do they extend to/beyond the hook bend?
Cheers,
David

Millers River Flyfisher said...

David,

The strand of crystal flash on my black spiders is only about 1/32 on an inch.

Ken

Dave P said...

Ah, thanks, Ken. So it's a very subtle effect.
David