Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, June 22, 2018

Tiny BWO, Swift Update, Open Dates And What's In A Name

"But at least I share two articles of faith with the great fishermen: I believe that the solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach


There lives in the mind of every life long fly fisher the hope of finding the SUPER FLY, the pattern that does it all!! (Note: this does not include anything with a beadhead and the wooly bugger is excluded because it's already attained that status). Finding the Dry that represents everything or most every thing (the Adams comes to mind as does The Olive Comparadun) is a daunting task. I think that it's easier to anoint a sunken fly as a super fly and that would be the Starling and Olive Soft Hackle.

I'm in love with starling feathers because they allow size 20 and smaller flies to be tied without losing the proportions of a good fly. And these tiny flies catch trout. This was seen last October on the Millers during one of it's epic BWO hatches. The adults were in the size 22 range and a size 20 SH was the perfect emerger. I also believe that there are a number of insects that this fly represents.

Hook - size 18 through 24
Thread - Olive 140 denier
Hackle - Starling of course

I'm going to tie up a box of this pattern in sizes 14 through 24 and use them for the rest of the year (except for the partridge and orange in October!!)


The Swift

I haven't been there in a week so maybe everything has changed but the last semi-official word (from a meeting that a Swift regular had with hatchery management) is that the river will be stocked on Friday June 29. Until then enjoy the brookies at Cady Lane.

Open Dates

I don't know how it happened but I have two open dates left this month and they are 6/28 and 6/29. Take both, take one, take a three hour trip or a six hour trip. FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED. Contact me by email and this does not apply to existing bookings.


What's In A Name

I've been intrigued by the fly used by nymph fishers named the Rainbow Warrior. It is a vastly popular fly as are many flies that are in that attractor category. Let's face it, many trout like shiny things and that's ok but why was it given that name? Was it because it sounded good (and that's ok) or was it named after that GREENPEACE ship named the Rainbow Warrior that was bombed and sunk by French military operatives off of New Zealand in 1985 for exposing environmental wrongdoing? I remember that crime and even though it may seem that Greenpeace is a bunch of radicals that deserved it the fact is THEY DID'NT! Did the creator of this fly know of this event and just usurp the name OR did he honestly use the name without knowing of its significance (fly fishers like to claim some environmental superiority so he should have).

And honest question...just asking!

Ken



20 comments:

Herm said...

I remember a day on the Swift at the end of June a few years ago. I was fishing for the wary veteran rainbows up into the spillway when the stocking truck pulled up and dumped some nice, big bows right at the point where the Bubbler flows into the Y. Immediately people started pounding them. One young lad was pulling out big bows and I heard him exclaim to his father: "Dad, fly fishing is so easy!"

Just wait.

Herm

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Herm,

Good to hear from you again!! Still using the bamboo I hope!

Ken

YellowstoneBound said...

Ken, I'm guessing that the name is suggested by the rainbow effect you get by wrapping mylar over red thread, especially when coupled with the proper blend of scud dubbing. Whatever the origin, its an amazing fly and has worked really well for me on many trips, including the Provo, which I believe is the river of its origination. I used to consider a crystal dip (a great Craig Matthews pattern) my go-to nymph, but the warrior has taken that honor.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

YellowstoneBound,
Good to hear from you 'cause it's been a while. Your answer suggests that the Greenpeace sinking was not a factor in the naming.

Ken

Gary said...

On the EB yesterday fooled one bow on top with a #14 dry attractor. Fished for 3 hours air temp 50 water temp 48, 7 degrees cooler than the past 2 days, a spot to remember as the days get hotter. Saw 2 other anglers, but also walkers,bikers,joggers,dogs,and a bus delivered a bunch of kids.

Anonymous said...

I think the Rainbow Warrior is a Lance Egan fly the USA fly fishing team member. He does a lot of attractive flies like Tungston Surveyor, Egans Red Dart. I believe the name is because of what it's used to tie up the fly, mylar, red thread, and rainbow color dubbing.. I have tied up some before and it works well on Farmington River.
Damir

bigmster127 said...

a good morning on the millers 9 rainbows 2 smallies and a bluegill!! fish put up a fight too jumping out of water!! missed a really big smallie about 3 to 4 pounds jumped right out of water and spit it out!! cloud cover was awesome today

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Damir,
So, I think that the name "Rainbow Warrior", in relation to the fly, had nothing to do with the Green Peace attack.

Gary Cranson,

It's not the EB!

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

bigmster,
"and a bluegill"!!! The smallies are big in June on this river and the bows are still getting it done. Good for you!!

Ken

BobT said...

I've heard in various forums/videos/articles that Egan says it was named after the dubbing it uses...Wapsi Rainbow Sow Scud dubbing...the pattern was a mistake according to Egan.

Phil Ritucci said...

Ken,
Hit the Millers@Wendell Depot area last night from 3-7:45 pm. The flows were perfect. Got one brown on a generic golden color nymph. Then the fun began just down river. Caught another dozen or so on dries, they were hitting everything from deer hair caddis to cdc comparaduns sizes 16 to 20. Lost one big fish thought it was a big smallie the way it was fighting, then I saw its buttery golden brown color! The highlight of the night was seeing a bald eagle fly over head.
Phil

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Phil,

I think you're going to remember last night for a long time!!!! Good to hear from you too!

Ken

Sam said...

I share Phil's pain not netting the big brown. Nothing like feeling that power on the business end of a fly rod. Barbless hooks reward us in our fishing efforts for catch and release, but having a big one get off reminds me of what Vince Marinaro wrote about that in his great book, Modern Dry Fly Fishing.

I still have a dream that wakes me up at times that wakes me up lifting up the rod to connect on the one that got away.

Sam

JonBoxboro said...

After all of the talk about the Rainbow Warrior, I tied a bunch and headed to the Deerfield today. Sure enough three nice takes all on the Rainbow Warrior in the Rock Garden.

Dave P said...

Hi, Ken and all,

They finally posted the episode of New England Fishing featuring Ken. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/6Bfy3h6zJH8. Enjoy!

Cheers,
David

DRYFLYGUY said...

So Ken, I just watched the NE fishing episode with you on the Ware AGAIN which I have DVR'd. When I don't have a chance/time to get out & wet a line in one of my western Mass river haunts, I like to watch your show. Its now been added to my fly fishing favorite's library. And it has become my favorite go to show.

Unknown said...

Ken, brought my wife to the Pipe area on Sunday afternoon and she landed a beaut of a brown at about 16" and a size 16 Caddis killed it on the surface. Browns, bows, and brookies in the mix. Much more trout there than the reports here would have indicated.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ross,

A regular of the Swift said that the Pipe Area has had the worst fishing in 50 years! I'm glad that your wife and you did well. Someone has to.

Dave and DRYFLYGUY,

Thank you!

Ken

hockey_dad said...

Hi Ken- spent 7 days up in Pittsburg, NH recently and there were 2 highlights:

1- went up there on Sunday and on my first full fishing day I was trying my luck below Murphy Dam right in the town. I had just waded out in the middle of the river - it was running at 300 cfs so the conditions were ideal. All of a sudden I hear a guy with no fishing rod yelling to me from shore and with the roaring water I really couldn't understand what he was saying to me but he was waving his arms and looked like he was trying to get something across to me. I just waved back and went started casting again. He left after a while and there was another guy out in the same water about 50 feet from me so I waded over to him and asksed him if he had any idea what the guy from shore was yelling about. Turns out he was yelling about raising the flow in the river and that it was going to start soon. I was taken aback because the conditions at that time were so good. He let me know there was going to be a horn and it would start at that time. Well there was a horn and about 20 minutes after that there was another horn - I thought that was it but no it kept up for another 3 hours until about noon. They were doubling the flows to 600 cfs. The other fisherman told me he was going to keep fishing but would stay close to the river banks. I kept moving downstream and hit certain spots that I always try . After a couple of hours I realized the river had come up over 1 foot and I decided to head back and in getting back I had to go a completely different route which I was able to do with some difficulty, scrambling over big boulders with my waders and generally working pretty hard but I made it. The whole look of the river had changed dramatically. This was a new experience for me and the next time I see a guy yelling at me from shore with no fishing rod I will certainly pay more attention !

2- The change of the flows in that area really impacted the way you had to fish and when I went back the next day I focused on watching where I was wading -I slipped and fell in once -and getting big nymphs and streamers down deep. Later in the week - I fished there every day- there was a bait fisherman across from me and he was doing well. It was very deep where he was fishing, he got one on which he said was a 4 pound fish and I didn't doubt him because his pole was bent in half. He lost that one but proceeded to catch 3 more and I did see them all fish over 2 pounds. The guy left after a while and I knew where I would be the next day. When I tried it I could see what was going on because of the flows the fish were all in pods and they were rising in a line in the river and there were a lot of rises. Over the next couple of days I tried to figure it out using sinking tip with nymphs and streamers, using dry flies with 5 different types of caddis recommended to me by one of the guides I know. Also tried a 2 fly set up with a green wooly bugger and wet fly attached. I had one hit and that was it. The place was loaded with fish and some big one's I'm sure but I couldn't figure it out.

The high water flows and the fish right in front of my nose were the standouts of the trip.

Dalton Noel said...

Am I the only one who hasn’t seen the episode with ken? Saw the link above and viewed and and the episode was out on the cape using conventional tackle on trout ponds out that way.... am I missing something would like to watch it thanks!