Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A Sunday, A Tuesday, Over 400 And Double Taper Lines

John D. Voelker once said, “Fly Fishing is a magic way to recapture the rapture of solitude without the pangs of loneliness.” Any fly angler knows what he was referring to. Fly fishing allows for men (and women) to find peace in a chaotic world where we are often in sensory overload with the constant sounds and sights of bustling cities. Flylords Mag

Where's The Pipe?                                                                   

There were already 8 cars parked at the Rt 9 lot at 6:45 on Sunday morning which was too much for me. I do get tired of fishing the same place for too long and even the draw of salmon wasn't enough to get me back there. "Let's try the Pipe." First, I was the only one there which was good. Second, the 370 flow on Sunday morning put the Pipe UNDERWATER. This will happen about every three years or so but it has never killed the fishing. You just fish DEEP.

Wading was difficult to say the least. No, I didn't cross over and stand on the shore but got out in the current but only about 10 feet out. I used a size 12 partridge and orange and roll cast into that seam and managed 5 bows in that crazy flow. The fly was about four inches above the slip shot sinker which did the trick. A scud did nothing. (sometimes I play with the idea of fishing one fly pattern all year long and that would be a P&O SH)

My good deed for the day was informing two lure tossers that the trout that they just caught had to be released which it was. They actually thanked me for enlightening them!!!


Tuesday Morning Two things would keep the crowds down and the first was the weather (snow/rain mix) and the fact that it was a Tuesday! Again, I was the only one above RT 9 which is a real rarity these days and now I had to deal with a 409 flow!!!  So, on go a brace of #12 P/O and a good rainbow slams it. (they fight harder than the salmon). Next was a 16 inch brown and then after a hour came the salmon.

There are redds all over the place from just below the power lines right up to the Y Pool.  Don't walk on them for the next three months!!!

Double Taper Lines
My favorite style of fly fishing on the Swift is during the skinny water of Summer and Fall (not this Fall) which requires small, unweighted flies, long leaders and a gentle cast whether you are fishing on the surface or below.  These are the conditions that send euro nymphers off to other waters and that's where the venerable double taper design comes into play. The Double Taper is built for stealth fishing unlike a weight forward and it  especially shines when one roll casts which is a real asset on the Swift.

Another fly line design is the Wulff Triangle Taper which actually outshines the DT in real skinny water conditions. It is a roll casting machine! I rig up either a DT 3F or a Wulff 2wt to either a bamboo or graphite rod between 7 feet and 8.5 feet and toss tiny flies all day. These lines never see the Millers or the EB where a 4 or 5wt weight forward is the logical choice but they see the Swift and the West and Middle branches of the Westfield. which are perfect for them.

Book Me

You have a few hours left on that 2018 license. Yes, I'm still guiding and if you want to get into some salmon just contact me!!

Ken




9 comments:

Hibernation said...

LOVE Wulff TT's. My favorite lines by a long ways for a lot of years now. Roll cast great, but if needed, you can shoot 60-80 feet too. Great lines.

Sounds like the fishing has been good. If it doesn't get super cold, thus keeping away the shelf ice on the edges... could be a great december on the swift (and then some)...

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will (Hibernation),

The TT's are, and you are right, GREAT lines. I had one angler, who was watching me roll cast with a TT, ask if I was casting a 0 wt or lower because of the way it was hitting the water. Barely a disturbance!

Ken

Dave P said...

I love those TTs, too! I've recently been trying out the Rio InTouch Singlehanded Spey line. I don't have 1/100th the experience that Ken or other posters have, but for what it's worth, I've been impressed. As you might expect from such a line, it roll-casts like a dream. But what surprises me the most is that I can also throw a small-to-medium unweighted streamer a very long way with this line! If others have tried it, I'd love to hear their opinions.

Hoping to get out on the Swift one of these weekdays--but the kids are kind of high-maintenance these days!

Cheers,
Dave

Anonymous said...


Ken,

Thanks for the advice on the drop shot rig. Not able to fish, but after work I rigged one up and look forward to fishing it, hopefully soon. I put on a #14 hare's ear for the anchor fly which had a big enough hook eye for me to tie the drop shot on to with a clinch knot. I like the way the nymph kind of sticks out from the tippet. How I would love to tie into one of those salmon!

Best, Sam

November 28, 2018 at 6:29 PM

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dave,

Switch and spey rods can cover a LOT of water and you are much better off for distance with a small fly than with euro/mono setup. There are places on the EB and the Deerfield which are perfect for it.

Sam,

Yes,I like the way the fly looks too. So do the fish!

The salmon will be there for a while!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

RIO Lightline DT is the cat's meow for my 5wt Winston! I wouldn't hesitate to fish it during midge hatches it falls so lightly. One of the most versatile setups I own for fishing up to 40 feet. ( And I am a dedicated Euro-nympher!)

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

A vote for DT!!!! A lot of the pleasure of fly fishing is in the casting and by that I don't mean shooting mono through your guides but creating that casting rhythm to successfully launch a seemingly weightless fly 40 feet and having it land like a piece of down from a duck. One angler that I guided said that he could use a substandard rod but would never skimp on the fly line!

Ken

The Eye on Harvard said...

Oh my that's some water out there. Fished the Swift Thursday and there were a dozen cars parked up at the Rt 9 Bridge by 9:30. Headed to the Pipe lot which was empty because the flow is up to 524cfm. A new record apparently over the 521 from 1956. Since this section of the swift is essentially a canal the increased flow made the level rise more than two feet from its usual depth. It is dicey to cross even the wider gravel flats above cady lane, with the water above my belly button (I'm 6'-2"). You can wade into the gravel bar at the tree pool and fish the tailout where I connected with a medium sized rainbow on a slim olive bugger. There were a few big fish slashing around where the pipe is submerged, but you'd have to approach from the hatchery side. Forget the wading staff, bring your innertube with you! All the fish (including a LL Salmon) were pushed up against the bank or up against snags where the flow is slower but hard to get your flys down quick in 3 feet of water when you are tucked up against the bank.

TC

Millers River Flyfisher said...

TC,

You have to pick and choose your spots with this flow. Even the Bubbler Arm is backing up!!
I've still caught fish every time in November.

Ken