Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

A Winter Fly, LL Salmon And Happy Thanksgiving

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong" - John Gierach


I like scuds especially on the Swift.  In fact, it may be the only place where I fish them. All of that weed cover especially far below Route 9 must be the home of millions of these creatures.  Even in a weedless section like the Bubbler Arm the trout know what they are and attack them.

It seems that I usually fish them only in the Winter and why that is I cannot say except they seem to work better in the Winter.

There are all kinds of methods used in the creation of this fly but this works for me:

Hook - scud style size 12 - 16
Body - fuzzy  Australian Possum ( slight olive cast)
Carapace - thin plastic strip
Rib - ultra thin copper wire

I add no weight to the body with a bead but fish this with a micro shot about 8 inches above the fly letting it bounce along the bottom. It works well!

Schedule A Salmon Trip
You heard it here first as far as the salmon are concerned!!!  Other "sources" have not even mentioned this fishery which is too bad for their readers.
I've caught LL Salmon on every trip since they came over the spillway and today I took two more brute salmon and two high flying bows in two hours. The Swift is loaded with salmon and eager bows and so far conditions have been great even with the high water. The snow didn't bother us and temperatures in the 40's felt fine.  Just contact me for a 3 or 6 hour trip especially on weekdays when the hordes have thinned out!!!
20 plus inch salmon from the Swift













I thank everyone who has read and contributed to this blog over the past month.  Your input counts and I value it.

On that note I wish all of you and your families a peaceful and joyous Thanksgiving.  The best to you!

Ken










15 comments:

Pat said...

Ken, I'm not a fan of microshot, for no real reason honestly. Curious why you don't fish a two fly rig with a weighted fly and a then the unweighted scud. Seems like it would accomplish the same thing and allow you to present two offerings. I went that route with the higher flows and it seemed to pay off.

Anonymous said...

Just curious if the LLSalmon ever survive in the Swift?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Patrick,

I used to fish doubles like you mentioned but I didn't have the success rate that justified the increase in tangles and lost flies. I think that most flyfishers that I see messing with their flies and leaders instead of fishing are casting 2 flies. I'd rather fish.

Anonymous,

Not for long!

Ken

Phil Ritucci said...

Ken,
I will be up there on Sunday, and hopefully land a few of them. Are the salmon up in the Y-Pool area or have they moved downstream too?
Phil

Mike said...

Ken
I fish Spring Creek in Pa for the past three seasons, even though its a limestone creek it kind of reminds me of the Swift with similar flows, water temp and weed beds. Those Scuds are a popular pattern that produce all year.
Mike

Sam said...

Haha! I could not agree more, Ken, with regard to drifting two flies. My gosh the wrapping up of the dropper fly on the leader above the bottom fly drives me nuts. I am back to one fly at the business end of my leader when fishing below surface.

During dry fly season though, once in a while I will put a dropper of a midge or ant tied on to the hook bend of a heavy hackled wulff type dry fly with the dry fly as an indicator.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Best, Sam

Mike said...

Ken
I fish Spring Creek in Pa for the past three seasons, even though its a limestone creek it kind of reminds me of the Swift with similar flows, water temp and weed beds. Those Scuds are a popular pattern that produce all year.
Mike

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

My catch rate wasn't much higher either.

Michael Patrick,

Cady Lane reminds me of a spring creek.

Phil,

I'll email you!

Ken

Unknown said...

Ken,

I give many thanks for your blog. All your hard work
is greatly appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Cam

Dave P said...

I've also more or less given up the two fly method, although it's not too bad when they are inline (i.e., not a dropper off the leader/tippet but one fly tied onto the hook bend of the other). This way you can avoid tangles by keeping everything out straight while casting. (In theory, anyway!)

More important, Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ken, and to your readers, who leave such entertaining and generous comments here. I have many things to be thankful for, and your blog is one of them!

Cheers,
David

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - I do use 2 fly rigs often on the swift. A split shot, egg with a 26 BWO nymph trailer was working well the other day. I think the LLS are great, but the crowds are getting a little ridiculous. Every redd had someone on it. I worry about the Brook Trout spawn, both with all the people stomping around and the high flows AND giant LLS eating away. We'll see.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the readers here!
Andrew

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew (Falsecast),

I find it easy to avoid the redds by walking on weeds, sand and leaves. The Redds are f'n obvious and can be avoided. I've told some already. I have seen two pods of brook trout but not like last year.

David,

Inline is the only method that I use when I use two flies. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Cam,

Thank you very much!

Ken

Joe C said...

I too use a two fly rig rather than split shot. Since I only tie on barbless hooks I tie the dropper tippet through the eye of the first fly. Puts it in line and doesn't tangle. I'm enjoying reading about the salmon but I've already come back to Florida for the winter so I'll be missing out on the fun. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Enjoying the blog as always
Went to the Swift with indifferent results but I did get irritated when someone walked right into the hole I was fishing I resisted getting into a fight but the temptation was there
On the drive home I had a possible solution idea
As part of getting a fishing license people should have to pass a written test covering stream etiquette and species identification
I think a lot of fishermen just have no clue to proper behavior on the water
Ken What do you and your readers think?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Joe C,

7 degrees this morning. You are in a good place. Happy Holidays!

Unknown,

I don't think that would work.

Ken