Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, December 7, 2018

Attacking Conventional Wisdom And A Swift Update



"Another common reaction to this rig is, “Why not just use a spinning rod?” That’s fair too. I’ve tried it, but it’s actually much less effective and a lot less fun. Retrieving by hand and using a long rod allows for more versatility and efficiency of presentation." Trout Bitten  (Mono rigs explained - (retrieving mono by hand is fun?? I saw a guy on the Farmie with a  limber 10 foot rod, a tiny spinning reel spooled with 3x fluorocarbon, tossing meal worms and catching one trout after another and he made it look dumb ass easy!!! That's how you fish mono) Ken



It seems that many pastimes that we seek pleasure in begin to develop "mindsets and truisms" that are hard to dislodge from our brains. Fly fishing for trout has had its share. "Don't bother to fly fish for trout until the leaves on an apple tree are the size of a mouses ear" was a nugget that was in print but thankfully died out 40 years ago. Another clinker is the notion that you need 7x or better 8x on the Swift. We put that theory to sleep back in July of 2015 Right here (make sure to read the comments on that 2015 post)

Fly Line First, Fly Rod Second

A client made an astute statement a month or so ago and that was that he would settle for a 2nd rate rod but never settle for anything less than a first rate line. It makes sense! It also means you have to keep that line in tip top shape with regular cleanings. That's something that I've really started to do.

Casting Lessons

The best fly fishing advice I can give is instead of shelling out $800 for a fly rod just get one for half that, put $200 in your pocket and spend the remaining $200 on casting lessons. Let's face it, I see a lot of expensive rods that are in the hands of people
who don't yet have the skills to use them to their full potential. Solution - invest in casting lessons with a qualified instructor
and I don't mean in the parking lot behind the tackle shop or going to a weekend long fly fishing school where you are in a class and not one-on-one. George Roberts here is a very good instructor and will help change your fly fishing life!

Fly Line And Rod Weights

" I own a 4wt but I'm thinking of going to a 3wt" is something I hear all of the time. The truth is that the 4wt that you own will cast that 3wt line just as far if you have good technique and the same is true for all line and rod weights.  I have a 3wt but constantly pair it with a 2wt line when faced with skinny water on the Swift. My 4 wt get loaded with a 5 wt line on the Millers if conditions are windy or I'm tossing larger flies. All of this works because line/rod weight is an arbitrary thing where a lot of elements come into play: How far is my cast going to be? How short is my cast going to be? What size fly am I casting?  Line weight is measured in grains over the 1st 30 feet of line and the manufactures range can vary by 10%.  One brand of fly line builds all of their lines on the top end of the scale for that weight for better distance! (that's only if you can cast). Of course none of this applies to euro nymphing but only to fly fishing.

Fluoro vs Nylon -

Fluoro has a higher specific gravity but its effect on sink rate is negligible.  Fluoro has better abrasion resistance  but who cares if you're not dragging clousers through rocks and sand while fly fishing the surf. My salt water leaders are usually 6 feet of straight 8-10lb nylon which I change every outing. M
uch cheaper that fluoro!


The Swift - 

It seemed like everyone caught at least one salmon yesterday. My client did it the old fashioned New England way by swinging small streamers instead of tossing eggs.  Many of the salmon have left the redds (or got swept off them) and will now chase streamers and soft hackles. Beware- the hits are vicious.

The temperature at 9am was only 23 degrees but rose to a balmy 34 by noon. We were totally comfortable out there dressed in fleece layers and hoodies. We had some ice in the guides early on but that passed quickly.  It was a good day!!


This action should last right through the Winter so contact me for a trip!!












8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken

What size streamer/pattern did you use?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I'll post the recipe on the next blog entry if I remember but it is small and I may name it the Route 9 Smelt but I may not. I fished it in the winter of 2011/2012 and salmon smashed it through the winter. They are smashing it now!! LL Salmon, while in the Quabbin, chase smelt, white perch fingerlings and similar prey. They are used to them and after spawning they will be looking for them.

Ken

Anonymous said...


Asimba0712

Hi Ken - I enjoy our time fishing together for a lot of reasons. One great benefit for me is that I almost always learn something that helps me to connect the dots about fly fishing. Hopefully, as I gain more insight and experience, I will be able to read different stream details and apply flies and presentations to suit.

I was reminded yesterday that I need to get serious about improving my roll casting and spey casting..........on the list to do.

After drying your small smelt streamer, I must commend you on it's construction. I see that the peacock strand ends are staggered a little with one strand longer that 2 strands which are also a little longer than the last couple.......the effect, when wet is a very sparse wing that tapers to a point. Also, the flash is visible, when wet from both sides and the way that the maribou is tied in looks very much like the white undersides of a small smelt. Would like to order some of these this winta.

I mentioned books - here's what I have read-

What trout want - Bob Wyatt - as discussed I will pull out the specifics for a fly he describes that sounds like a killa

Wet Flies: tying and fishing soft hackles - Dave Hughes - mentions a technique - a lift - at the end of a drift, that someone else made famous....

Soft Hackles and tiny soft hackles - Sylvester Nemes - a classic as you promised...

A Fly Fishers 60 Seasons - Steve Raymond - he had an exceptional story published in Fly Fisherman Mag. about a steelhead that got away.....the book is OK, but that story was the best...

A River Never Sleeps - Roderick L. Haig-Brown - this one is set in an earlier time when much of his early fishing was with a silver spoon for massive kings. His writing style is unique and has some excellent mind pictures.........as someone a lot smarter than me once said,
" Good writing allows the reader the willing suspension of disbelief......"

Dick

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dick,
Thank you!! Haig-Brown is a favorite of mine also as are Wyatt and Nemes. Theirs are not just technique driven works but instead are dream maker books. You read a certain paragraph and then begin to think of fly fishing.

It was a good day. I've tied up a half dozen of those streamers this afternoon.

Ken

Baitslinger said...

Ken a very interesting thing is happening down on Cady Lane lot of the weeds are disappearing especially below the duck pond lots of gravel it's amazing how this River is changing.Also seeing lots of fish something you don't see at this time of year down there but almost ipossible too fish

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Baitslinger,

A few weeks ago a reader mentioned that maybe the high water would move the weeds out. Maybe that's happening.

Ken

Dave P said...

Dick: Ditto that about always learning something when fishing with Ken He is extremely generous -- except when it comes to the magic orange! 😉

Ken (or anyone): Have you ever tried Ice Off or vaseline on the guides, as some have recommended? (In the case of vaseline, I might worry that it would mess with the coating on mu line.)

Cheers,
Dave

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dave,

A client used Ice Off. It worked for a while I believe.

Ken