Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, December 31, 2018

Good Bye To 2018 And Hello To 2019

A very nice read and guide to the Millers, thank you. Of course I have my favorite spots, many that coincide with yours. I am sure that I will re read your guide several times. The most important thing for me is, how to fish the spots, not necessarily where the spots are.- Reader comments about the Millers Guide 

 
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE

First off, I'd like to thank the thousands of monthly readers who have been with this blog for over a dozen years. It seems that every time I hit the rivers I meet readers who say that they never skip a post. They also love the fact that myself and the comment writers will openly name rivers and locations and not act like it's a state secret. We all know the rivers so there are no secrets!! You have made this the most popular "owner operated" fly fishing site in New England

2018 was GREAT because:

The Flyfishers Guide to the Millers River just keeps rolling along. I believe that this year will set a record for copies sent to readers which is remarkable seeing that the Guide is 10 years old. Some have told me that it is just a fun thing to read and I appreciate it. Also remember that, unlike  other guides, this booklet is FREE. And it's an in depth look at this river and how to fish it and not a pedestrian listing of popular stocking points. Needless to say, it will remain available.

My Guiding Business is rolling along. Now, I've noticed fewer guides working the rivers this past year and that may be because this business is not for everyone. Frankly, I LOVE IT!!!! For ten years I've guided everyone from absolute beginners to seasoned world wide anglers and it is all very good and personally rewarding. Some may say that one doesn't need a guide or even a guide book. Just read the reader quote at the top of this post for the answer. Beware of the person(s) who say that they catch 40-50 trout an outing on a particular river.  That's ALWAYS a day or 3 after the stocking truck does it's thing. We all know that. 

NESN Exposure: This was very good because it highlighted the great fishing that we have here in Central/Western Ma (and my guide business) and in doing so we now have more friends of the rivers.  If you want to kill a river then don't support its passive use.  (high water releases for tubing and WW rafting are NOT a passive use!)





The "Newer" Rivers: I started out guiding on the Millers and then quickly branched out to the Swift and the EB. I tried to bring five new rivers on board for 2018 but the lack of available time killed that. So I further expanded my efforts on the Westfield West Branch, and the Middle Branch. These are the most beautiful intimate rivers who will find in Massachusetts and will make the EB seem crowded. If you want solitude then book a trip with me in 2019. Let's not forget the Ware River for great Quill Gordon and Hendrickson hatches in early May without the long drive to the Farmington.

Not an Equipment Blog If you absolutely need to know the skinny on the newest rods, reels, lines, waders and flies go someplace else. I don't endorse any company or their products with the exception of a  rod maker or the occasional fly shop. I endorse certain styles of fly rods and certain styles of fly fishing. I have a special kinship with fly fishers who fish the same rods for YEARS and don't ditch them for "this years new model". Flies must look like real insects and real bait fish and not pieces of costume jewelry!

It is not too early to book me for 2019.  I don't require a deposit so what's to lose!!!

P.S. The LL Salmon in the Swift will disappear by Summer just like 7 years ago and it will not be because they starved to death. The ones that find themselves down in Cady Lane will eat brook trout like the browns do but I believe that it's just not their environment!!

Happy New Year

Ken
























































































































13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to start Fly Fishing for 2019, tomorrow on the Swift. But alas confined to bed with a wicked case of the Flu. Happy New Year and please keep posting cool stuffs to the blog. Hugging my Dogs and reading your articles, really helps me so vastly much. Can’t wait to return to my favorite river, in the warmth of Springs Glory🤒🤧😷😪🐶🐶


Happiest New Year


Fly Fishing anonymous

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 9:33 AM,

Happy New Year and get well soon! I beat a case of the flu two days ago and am ready to go! Be careful of the flow on the Swift. Bring a wading staff.

Ken


Millers River Flyfisher said...




I used to fish a big dry Tarantula above a large size 8 partridge and orange on the EB in fast water. 3/4 of the time they hit the tarantula. That's what you can do back home (I'm going to). Sounds like never ending terrestrials in Argentina!!

Happy New Year!!!

Anonymous said...

lenny

These fish don’t even need hatches. What am I going to do back home??? Happy new year and keep catching salmon!

Anonymous said...

So proud to read and probe your blog, for the acquisition and furthering of my Fly Fishing knowledge. Here’s a New Year’s Eve Feel Good Story for everyone. When I was eight, I got my First Fly Rod for Christmas. A 6 wt. stream light Mack II from LL. Bean, with red case and matching reel. I’m aged twenty five now and still using that rod, so shockingly my beloved rod is officially Seventeen years old. The tales this rod could tell, my uncle accidentally walked on and cracked the reel. But such is life, a wonderful rod and affectionately call and refer to it as my #1.

Happy New Year


Fly Fishing Anonymous

Gary said...

What, a guide to the Millers River free, but a guide to the Farmington is $19.95, well where will you go??? Happy New Year Fly Fishers.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 3:54pm,

There used to be a time when we bonded with certain fly rods. Your memories with that rod are as satisfying as those made with an $800 rod. Happy New Year!

Gary,

I can send you two for the price of one also!!! Starting to think about the West Branch!!!

Happy New Year

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi ken I'm one of your blog followers I also saw you at Charlie's. It's great stuff.l was hoping I could get one of your Miller's guide books.

Bob Donahue

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob,

Sent the Millers Guide via email!!

Happy New Year!

Ken

Chico said...

Ken, would like to take you up on guided trip to ware in early May. Chico

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chico,

You got it but I for some reason don't have an email address for you. Email me at ken.elmer9@gmail.com so we can set it up!

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Sounds like a truly great experience!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...


Are the Landlocks still biting in the Swift? Was proud to be a part of that legendary phenomenon this year. People out there worship you, after your kindness and openness with the Swift River Community. Me Too☺️ In fact, I caught my Landlocked Salmon Hen in the Bubbler Arm. Walking back I specifically heard people mention you at least fifteen or sixteen different times. No worries, I’d venture to say most consider you the Robert Plant of Swift River Fly Fishing. Like a pseudo untouchable God upstairs in the Heavens. Really dig your Nonfictional, No Nonsense, Direct approach to Swift River Fly Fishing Methodology. Please write more about Swift River Salmon, as the
only article I could find anywhere. Was by Trout Unlimited Members, simply entitled “That’s Not A Brown Trout.” On heavier Flu and Pneumonia prevention treatment, latest results are indicating significant improvement. Five more days, battled severe pneumonia last year. Looking forward to and Dreaming of making Sweet Water Music once again🎼🎣🐠🤒😴



PS Ireland was literally living inside a dream, pinched myself metaphorically speaking multiple times. Cried twice!


Fly Fishing Anonymous