Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, January 4, 2019

Thinking Of Rivers - The Westfield System And Book Me


"In 2009 I fished the EB from Memorial Day through Labor Day with nothing but dry flies and caught a lot of trout BUT all of the fishing was done from 6 pm through dark. That's when the trout began to "look up" because that's when the insects began to hatch." - Me




It happens every year at this time. I start day dreaming about Spring and Summer when the "living is easy". Now, don't get me wrong, I fish and guide through the Winter and actually like it but my favorite time of day on a trout stream is on Spring and Summer evenings when the freestones are flowing just right,the insects are hatching and trout are feeding! Now I'm relegated to tailwaters like the Swift or the Farmie which is our port in a storm (and I'm thankful for this) but I'd love more options and one of those options is to split a day between the West Branch and the Middle Branch of the of the Westfield River (or just spend an evening on each).



The WB and the MB are smaller than their larger cousin the EB. Their combined flow is roughly half that of the EB but this may be their secret charm. People flock to the larger rivers thinking the fishing is better but that can be a big mistake. You will have miles of water with very few people to deal with on these two wonderful streams and you will have the browns and rainbows to yourself! Because of their smaller size and steady flow these rivers are PERFECT for a tenkara rod! Gary Cranson, the "Wizard of the Westfield", has been fishing these branches all of his life. Two of his favorite spots are Trout Rock on the WB and the lower MB. I love the lower MB because it may have the smartest trout of any freestone in Ma.
The Lower MB

If you are interested in getting away from the crowds and in fishing beautiful water then book a date for the WB and/or the MB. Early May through June is a good place to start!

BTW, I'm already booking for this Winter AND for this Spring. Don't wait too long!

Speaking of Winter, we are still braving the monster flows of the Swift. Thursday I saw a wader who was almost up to his arm pits in the Y Pool. The water was so high around him that his elbows were dragging in the water.  I hope we don't have to drag the river for him.  BE CAREFUL!!!

Ken







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long do you reckon it will take the Army Corps of Engineers, to properly lower the Swift River back to wadable levels? Just about over the Flu, but willing to cease Fly Fishing until she’s restored to safe CFS. Seen the same, lost my Fly Box the day I caught my Landlock. If you see it, please let me know. Probably drifted into Oblivion by now! Going to drive out there tomorrow, just to get out and enjoy Nature again. Saw a Barred Owlet in my backyard yesterday�� Love seeing them during Summers on the Swift, magical��



Fly Fishing Anonymous

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

The Army Corp of Engineers has nothing to do with the Swift flow! The overflow, which has resulted in the high Swift flow because of the rain over the last three months, is the result of the Quabbin being at (or above) CAPACITY. Sorry that you lost your fly box but that happens when you are not careful and is not the fault of a governing body.

I don't like your comments which seem to stem from someone who wants a lot of attention. I refused your comments this Fall but I think you squeezed some through this time. That's done!!! Go away and run your own pathetic blog.

Go Away,

Ken

Anonymous said...

The West Branch is a jewel for sure, especially for a quick trip in the Summer using Terrestrials. Used to have some really large Browns in the tressel pools. Maybe they still do!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 10:05,

A lot of my best fishing has been by Wildcat Springs and then below the Old State Rd bridge for a couple of miles. The big pool below the bridge has been a disappointment to me and I don't know why. It looks great but... The water below the bridge for a mile is a different story.

Ken

Bob O said...

Thanks Ken for the reminder of the 'other' branches of the Westfield. I've had fun on the Middle, and this year hope to explore more of the Chester to Huntington stretch of the West. Love the pic of the brown in your post. Keep up the good work.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

Good to hear from you! Chester to Huntington is on my list too. That brown came from the MB!!

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

With limited wading zones for me in Bondsville, I gravitate to an area that is somewhat shallow extending a few feet out from the bank. Mostly sand I feel pretty good standing in it though a couple of yards out it is plenty fast and deep as you well know.

From this zone I think I have hooked the same brown trout three times. First time it tangled me in the bottom a week ago, Friday late I brought a nice 16" to net, and today my first cast which ended up right next to the bank at the end of the drift, I'll be darned if I don't connect again.

Hard to say if all three connections were the same trout, but that first drift was my only hit of the day. I am pretty confident that if one can find a safe place to wade to get flies close to the bank, there are a lot of holding zones in this high flow.

Best, Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Happy New Year. Like and totally agree on your Westfield River system comments. The MB and WB are very interesting waters; and remote enough to find yourself the only person on the waters often. The MB has several nice spots/stretches from Dayville and upstream for 6-8 miles (haven't ventured further up than that). The WB also is a gem. Wondering if you have fished the WB from the Keystone Arch bridge upstream?

I have walked that stretch on hikes, upstream a few miles and the water looks very inviting with some deep holes scattered about. I am guessing they don't stock there at all - but wondering about your experience there with wild/holdover trout.....

On a disappointing note - I used to love the main stem sites, including under the Mass Pike and upstream for a mile or so. But since they don't partner with B&G for stocking anymore, and more disgustingly the trash that idiots leave around there, I have avoided the area for the last few years. But that stretch does have some nice water. Hope in future years they somehow clean up the main stem areas and get it back to what it once was....

Tight Lines,

Jim M

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jim W.

The river above the Keystone bridge is still a bit of a mystery to me since I've found really good fishing below there down to the confluence with the main stream. The garbage from the Ma Pike downstream keeps me out of there.

It surprises me how few anglers I find on the Middle Branch and I think that's because many want larger water for longer casts. They really miss a lot.

From what I know the Arches section gets stocked.

Ken

Sam,

That spot may be prime holding water and that is why you have had all those hits there. Maybe not the same trout and that is a good thing because I think that it's more than one trout!

Ken