Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, April 18, 2019

River Update And A One In A Million Chance

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for the wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration".  Isaac Walton




Ok, here are the numbers:

Swift - 530

Millers - 2060

Ware - 635
\
EB - 902

WB - 332

No, that's not the number of fish I've caught this year but the cfs for these streams. Yes, there's high water out there but the margins can be fished slow and deep. Think sinking tips or better yet, full sinking lines with 5 feet of leader ending in 3x or 4x and a weighted fly. Offended by the above rig?? Then go fish the smaller streams that are in fairly good shape (you always said that you wanted to now here's your chance). I'll be on the Mill River, a neat little freestone that runs behind my house that I try to visit at least once a year.and at 162 cfs it should be in shape for a while.

A Million To One Chance

I've been fishing the Swift for over 30 years and this was the first time this has happened: It's 9 am and I'm at the Y Pool with two clients and NOBODY else when a stocking truck pulls up and starts, well, stocking!! We fished for another hour before we saw our first flyfisher. It took a while for the trout to settle down but then the hits started. My clients didn't leave and ended up having a banner day!!!


Millers Stocking

Yes, the Millers was stocked yesterday and the trout and the anglers will have to put up with a flow of over 2000 CFS.  My advice is don't wade but look for spots on the shoe where you can roll cast from. Safe wading on that river starts at 600 cfs.

Nobody Asked But....

Will the camera carrying fly fishing community please stop with the "head shots" of trout and photos of your trout lying in a net that's on the ground.  By head shots I mean photos that just show the mouth to the gills.  They remind me of mug shots!!! Take your photo just before you land the fish, like the photo on the left, or while in the net  gently cradle the trout with wet hands for a quick release.


Leave the "famous" places alone this week and fish the thin blue lines!!!

Ken



12 comments:

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - I went to the Squannakook yesterday and there were plenty of stockers around and a sea of bugs. The water was high, but sealable. I saw a lot of Quill Gordon’s , large caddis, BWO’s , midges.....not one rise even in places where I know they rise. Pure stockers, crushed the black WB. There were a lot more people then usual, but still good fun.

Congrats on your truck day. I have had that happen to me at the bridge. It is fun to see and I bet your client had a blast. For anyone else going there soon, consider something I tried 2 years ago that I actually found very satisfying, cut off your hook. It really only works if you are swinging a streamer. I was at the cable pool right after stocking (like now) with some sort of streamer and every fish was fighting to bite it. I realized how often those fresh fish are caught, handled, de-hooked and released so I tried cutting the hook at the bend. The fish still all bit and pulled hard and you’d get a big yank and it would run with it for a bit and spit it out. For me, it was very close to the same. The trout got educated and not too badly beat up. Just something to think about

I fear I am going to miss the Hendricksons on the Housy this year. This is the first big hatch even on my calendar. It is at 1,600 cfs now and I consider high water wading, 700 so I am skipping it. The hatch is likely still going on, however. On the plus side, these fish should all fan out and May should be better. Safe wading.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

I always like your comments!!

First, I remember about 20 years ago where this one western fly fisher clipped the hook end off of his dry flies to only get the trout to RISE for his dry. THAT'S ALL HE WANTED. I think you get it. Vince Marinaro once said that the RISE was all that counted. Everything else was an afterthought!!!

I fished the Housy once and that was years ago in Massachusetts and not down around Cornwell where I think that you fish. I have a copy of the Housy Flyfishers Guide and would love to explore that wonderful water BUT I never seem to have the time. Maybe someday!

Ken

Pat said...

You missed one branch of the westfield that is flowing perfectly. I'll be there tomorrow at some point. Crossing my fingers that my wader repair worked. I am sure sick of a soggy right foot. For the price of Simms I'd expect more and although they will repair them for $50 I can't do without them for a month or so this time of year.

Falsecast said...

I am actually a Mass guy on the Housy and fished it before they started stocking. It’s a difficult wading river so that keeps a lot of people out. I will let you know when I head out there and come along if you’d like.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why so many people have to take a picture of every fish they catch. You see one stocked rainbow you've seen em all. (sorta). Great fish, fun to catch, but hardly National Geographic material.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

I'll take you up on that!!!!!

Pat,

I've fished the WB and the MB so far this Spring. Good luck.

Anmonymous 1:08,

Agreed!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

The MA Rainbows I have taken this spring are impressive. Must be fed on steroids!

Jim W said...

Ken,
For Anonymous, although I agree about the pics some family and friends need proof I didn't just spend 5 hours in the water doing aerobics.

And Ken thanks for the river info this week as it's been challenging. All my local Blue lines have been over the banks into farmers fields and roads thus effectively shutting me down except a trip to the Swift. . Funny my wife of all people notice a bunch of folks fishing a stream two towns over (Trout Brook Holden). Yielded two Rainbows this PM. Unforchinitly the next few days will be a challenge.JW

Charles said...

Fished a couple of blue lines this week, and took a couple of native rookies. 6-inch natives are a banner day in my book.

Wrongday said...

Fished the Quinnie yesterday. Lots of fun! The rainbows were going nuts after the take, like they've been feeding them Red Bull at the hatchery. In the fast current, they had the advantage all day.
Wrongday

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

I should take some time and head to the North Quabbin area where I know of a stream that is full of native brookies and has never seen a stocking truck.

Wrongday,

Now there's a stream that needs C&R!!!!!

Ken

Wrongday said...

Agreed.