Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, May 10, 2019

Better Late than Never, This Blog And Book Me



I would be inclined to issue a pass to Tenkara simply because it's aim is to simplify our sport which has a tendency to become overrun with equipment junkies and method madmen. It's good to take a Tenkara break every now and then and reset yourself. You can also catch a lot of trout this way!!! - Me on Tenkara





This Blog

First off, I'd like to thank the dozens of commenters who have contributed their fishing experiences in just the last few weeks. That group is not just the same old regulars that festoon other blogs with the same old, same old but a wide range of fly fishers who fish a wide range of rivers and are not afraid to share a good spot with others. (Let's face it, there are very few secret spots anymore and many who jealously guard their "secret spots" have pumped me for info in the past.) This blog provides information about where and when to go and what to use.

Better Late Than Never

Finally, things are rounding into shape. Namely, the flows are coming down. Let's look at the last week:

May 3 CFS                                      May 10 CFS

Millers - 1850                                        1050
Ware - 800                                               345
Swift - 1200                                             877
EB 643                                                    391
WB 324                                                   202

All the rivers are dropping nicely with the Branches of the Westfield producing in a steady fashion (quill gordons are popping out all over that system).Size 8 Partridge and Orange, your standard quill gordon wet and a size 12 peacock bodied black buggers have produced the most.

The Millers has dropped about 120 cfs every day this week. I've was told by a fellow that I guided on the EB that he fished Orcutt around the edges and caught browns so it can be done but just be careful.

Got a report of some good catches on the Ware yesterday that may have been the result of the water control boys turning the flow down. (from 606 cfs to 345 cfs in ONE DAY is not normal) I can't wait to get out there!!!!

The Swift - slowly but surely it's coming down. I'll wait until it gets below 100 cfs. That's the flow that I like and there are too many other rivers to fish!!

Book Me

I have a few openings left in May and I am starting to book up June ESPECIALLY my Evening Rise trips. There's no better way to spend an evening than on a trout stream.

Go Fish,

Ken



6 comments:

T Neale said...

So I got on the Millers around 9:30-10:00 (off of Gulf Rd., Athol). Flow was right around 600 cfs.(Birch Hill discharge was 516 + a couple of streams that flow in before Gulf). Worked my way down from Rezendes and through first and second run. Managed to hook into a nice rainbow/brown (not really sure) at the bottom of first run but was unable to bring to net. Had three to four more solid strikes between the two runs with nothing to show for it. I was using a black bugger with some flash in it. First time on the Millers this season and have a feeling it's going to be a good one.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

T Neale,

It will be a good one!!!

Ken

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - I went out to the Housy yesterday and it was just barely wadable at 730 cfs. Still quite high. I fished hard and only took 2 trout all day on the point fly which was a big stonefly nymph. Nothing on the Hendrickson. It was a full bug party though and I saw some risers in the soft water. Going to head back in a couple of days.

I did come across something that was startling and has never happened to me before. I was waist high in low visibility water and my wading staff hit something I thought was a bunch of moss on a rock. I kept poking at and then saw a rib cage. It was what looked like a small calf, but I believe it was a bloated dead deer. The ribs were exposed and head as well, but all the hair was on it and other parts looked untouched. I am assuming it died and was being fed on and then got swept into the river? It will likely be there a while. Have you heard or seen this before? It is quite big. I wonder if I should report it? Isn’t that toxic? Any thoughts?
Andrew

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

A natural death I suspect. I've seen big dead deer in the Millers always in the Spring when flows are tough. They try to cross over on ice but fall through and get stuck under the ice.

It's a shame that the flows are still so high.

Ken

Tyler M said...

Hi Ken,

Was out on the EB yesterday. The water conditions were good (wadeable with care and 52 degree water) and the Quill Gordons were out. I didn't see any rising on them where I was, but there was some action on emergers. I fished a soft hackle high in the water -- had a few bites but didn't land anything. I'm finally shaking off the rust from the winter, and it was great to get back out on the water.

Tyler

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tyler M,

It's been a prolonged QG hatch this year due to the wet, cool weather. Yes, it's good to get out!!

Ken