Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Kempfield Pool - September 27


This was an interesting two hours of surface fishing. First, I managed to take the one rising brown in the big pool below the trestle in the lower C&R. A size 16 olive comparadun did the trick. This strategy did not work as I made my way down to the Kempfield Pool a few minutes later. The water above Whetstone Brook has had rising browns this month but tonight they had other things on their mind. Nothing was rising. But then I noticed some surface activity at the top of this run just below that classic set of riffles. Two fish were working just below the surface and the trusty comparadun was totally ignored. I then switched to a light olive (I like olive) emerger in a size 18. That worked!! I took both browns, one about seventeen inches and broke off another of good size. I took them in the spot that is in the upper right corner of the above photo. By then it was getting dark and I called it quits. On the way back to the shore I noticed something interesting. I saw two browns in about a foot of water. They were swimming together, one following the other. It got me to thinking. Was this some kind of spawning or pre-spawning activity? Maybe, maybe not. I hope it was!
If you can get yourself free for a few hours (5-7pm) you will have action on the Millers. In October, if history repeats itself, you should find rising browns in mid afternoon. Don't wait for the State to dump in the clonebows. Fish now. It can be challenging but it's fun.
MRF

No comments: