Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, October 19, 2007

Kempfield Pool Again - October 17

Maybe it was too much to expect another banner day like I had two days before. Friends of mine from eastern Ma. spent Tuesday, the 16th, on the Wendell C&R and had limited success. Some BWO's but very little surface action. I made it down to the Kempfield for two hours before our monthly TU meeting the next day and caught the two rising browns that presented themselves but it was an interesting evening anyway. It was interesting because of what some flyfishers see and what some don't see.

When I arrived there was an elderly grey haired gent who was casting and retrieving a fly in the wide slow portion of this Kempfield stretch. What I noticed was what this gent didn't notice - the delicate rise of a brown near the rocks along the south bank. This guy never even tried for this fish!! After a while this guy left for home and I took up his spot. It was then that I noticed that there were two fish in this area that would rise, gently, every few minutes or so. Well, I put the #20 BWO emerger to work. The casts had to be long and right on the spot due to the rocks that guarded the spot. I took both of those trout, both browns, with that tiny fly. There is a lesson here. Some tactics work and some don't. If you are dragging a sunken fly with no success and there is a surface feeding brown within casting range then you go for it with the appropriate fly! It is hard for me to believe that this guy DIDN'T see these fish. All I can say is that he didn't see the sporatic rises otherwise he would have been on to them. The lesson - keep a clear eye and be aware of everything that is happening around you. Beadheads and buggers will fool the foolish rainbows of spring and early summer. By now the 'bows are long gone and the browns demand real skill and patience.

MRF

No comments: