Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

October Evening At The Kempfield Pool


Ok, Wednesday evening, October 3rd around 4:45pm. I get down to the Kempfield (lower C&R) and find my friend Herb already casting to rising browns or should I say browns with only dorsals and tails breaking the surface. Sylvio, another Millers regular, joins the ranks positioning himself at the exposed rocks at the head of the big pool. There's some "talent" here but we are no match for these selective browns. Drys don't work. Herb, with a #16 pheasant tail, takes a heafty brown after many casts. I take a 16 inch brown on a #16 olive emerger. Trout are breaking the surface everywhere above the mouth of Whetestone Brook but every presentation is refused. I miss one, then another. Herb and Sylvio call it a night. I finally land another brown on an emerger but because the fly is in the back corner of it's mouth I feel that it probably got hooked while going after something else. This may be the hardest evening of flyfishing on this river that I've experienced in years. Sporatic light mayflies would show themselves but no real visible hatch, just browns nymphing after something unseen. IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! As I've learned in over twenty years of flyfishing this river - the Fall is the best time for rising, selective browns.
The above photo shows the section of the Kempfield Pool that we were fishing. It's an early season (June) photo. Conditions where more like the conditions in the photo of that goofy looking character at the head of this blog.
Fish this section anytime from mid afternoon to dusk at this time of year. It will test your skills and give you memories that will last you through the long winter which is just around the corner.
MRF

No comments: