Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, October 6, 2007

An October Saturday on the Millers


Yup, back at the Kempfield except this time there are two other fly fishers working the water above the big flat pool. There are many browns nymphing the stretch above Whetestone Brook. Another regular is pounding the deep slow water below but to no avail. It's a replay of the last trip where the browns are showing nothing but dorsals and tails. From 3:30 to 6:30 I take two, about 16 inches on a very light olive emerger size 18 and miss about three others. I can't believe I'm using 7x!!! Two of the anglers leave without any luck. Another fly fisher catches one on a tiny emerger but as darkness falls I give my spot and a big brown I've been casting at to him. He lands it on, can you believe this, a #14 Usual!! The brown is a full 17 inches and full of autumn color. It's a perfect evening with VERY difficult fish. One moment is worth mentioning. The last guy that I mentioned and myself saw a monster brown rise and then begin to tear up the stretch we were fishing. It had to be a 20 inch fish and very aggressive.
MRF

No comments: