Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Great Evening on the Millers


The daytime hours were spent doing some interior painting (should have been done during the winter) and finding myself doing some patching on the roof section of a bay window. I did my penance. Time to go after trout on the Millers! At five o'clock I was thigh deep in the section that I visited just this Thursday. I'd tell you exactly where except that my friend Charlie would put a hex (not the insect) curse on me. I'll try not to disclose the location. Bear with me on this.
I was surprised that I was the only one there since there were four of us there just this Thursday. Ok, guess I'll have to do it all by myself! This section has all the kinds of water that one can dream about - fast riffles, a long, slow glide ending in a deep pool section. The riffles start in two distinct sections. That narrows it down a bit. I headed for the riffles on the north side of the river below the pipe (ok, I've gone too far!! The curse is on me!!!!!) I dead drifted a wooley bugger on a short line and took five 'bows. A word on these rainbows - I'm not a fan of rainbows in the Millers. They last until early July and then head south. Browns are the season long fish for this river but these rainbows are the equivalent of NFL linebackers!! They were all big, mean and strong. Five fish between 14 and 16 inches is good anywhere!
There was a strong wind which blew caddis all over the river but there was very little surface activity. I saw one lonely mayfly dun which I couldn't identify. I watched it float down the river without it disappearing in a sipping rise. Still a good evening all the same.
Fish The Millers. Schedule a trip and I'll show you some fish!!!!!
Ken

No comments: