Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Millers River - an unexpected trip




I found myself with a few hours to kill (fly fish) on the Millers one very recent evening. A quick stop at the end of the lower C&R in Erving yielded two small rainbows to a caddis emerger. Browns were what I wanted to tangle with so I quickly made the short trip to the Kempfield Pool. There was only one other angler and we had a great evening fishing to rising fish. The caddis emerger was replaced with a #14 sulpher emerger and that fly took six browns all being between 14 and 18 inches. Lots of sulphurs were in the air but they were replaced with a BLIZZARD of large, brown caddis commonly called sedges along the river. They flew upstream in WAVES!!! I, of course, made a holy mess of my leader in the middle of this and in the failing light couldn't fix the problem. A lost opportunity!
Two things of note. I broke off a brown but within the hour caught the same fish. The proof was that it had my lost fly in its jaw. That's only the third time that that has happened in 30+ years of fly fishing. The second is the photo at the top of the page. It's of a rising brown just a few feet from me. Fish for it or take the photo? I only had to wait a minute! No, I didn't catch it. The other photo is of a 14-16 inch brown. You can see the sulphur emerger in its jaw.
Ken

No comments: