Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Gorge Pool, Rezendes and a Secret Fly




The Gorge Pool - This may be one of the most tempting places to drift a fly on the Millers. It also has a legacy that goes back decades. Rodney Flagg of Flagg's Flies remembers fishing its depths 60 years ago and our late friend Bob Rouleau fished it 70 years ago. It was also known as the Gorge Pool "back then" and even though someone has tried to "rename" it with a sign it will always be known by its traditional name to those who love the place.
First, it's actually two pools which we label "upper" and "lower". The upper is about a hundred yards long with the lower being twice that length. Second, you could almost label them "swimming holes" due to their great depth. Last night, with the Bears Den section running at a low 130cfs, I could of easily gone over my waders in either section.
The fishing - I took six browns between the two sections last night. A large, dark nymph (pretty generic) swung through the current did the trick. There was one hit that stole the show. Whatever it was struck the fly, ripped line from my reel, cleared the water and then threw the hook. It looked like a rainbow and fought like one too.
The Gorge Pool is in the Bears Den C&R section and is seldom fished because it requires a 5-10 minute walk to get there. Find out more about it by ordering my "Guide to the Millers". Instructions on how to receive it are mentioned on one of my May posts.
Oh, I almost forgot. As darkness began to fall Rezendes Pool came alive with chasing caddis and my "secret fly" took an additional four browns. I'll post the secret fly and how to tie it in the near future - maybe!!
Ken

No comments: