Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, July 14, 2008

Saturday, July 12th

I've been told that the parking area for the Kempfield section had been full during mid-morning today. Too bad because daytime trout fishing on the Millers has entered the summer doldrums. It's a VERY early morning and evening fishery until late August right now but you wouldn't believe it from this report. Saturday night was slow. I spent two hours (7-9pm) casting dries to every likely spot on the great section. My take was one rainbow. I saw no surface activety until the very end when I saw a rise in the large pool at the tail of this section. I made my way down there and was greeted by only the occasional soft rise right up until dark. There were only the occasional caddis and dark mayfly in the air so I used a size 16 olive comparadun (a favorite) to see if I could get a rise. In the "almost dark" conditions I had a brown leave the water and lunge at my offering. A slight tug was all that I felt. I called it quits at that encounter.

It was a good night, conditions wise. Not too warm, no breeze to speak of, the water level was perfect. The browns SHOULD of been active but they wern't. Sometimes that happens. This is what occurs on the best of rivers and it was the Millers turn that evening.

20 years on this river makes me believe that this was the exception and not the rule.

I'll be back!!

Ken

No comments: