Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Late August Evening On The Millers


Finally, the Millers has come down to seasonable levels and I have the time to fish it. I made my way down to the Kempfield Pool around 5pm on Friday, the 29th. Things looked promising - clouds were coming in from the west which would take the sun off the water and speed up any surface activity for the evening. One has to remember that it gets dark by 8pm now instead of 9-9:30pm as it did just two months ago. I was ready.
The first rises were random with no real feeding pattern. They were also pretty showy which is usually a sign of caddis activity but soon the sulphurs stole the show and the browns really made their appearance. I took seven browns - all good sized fish with great color. All of these browns were fooled by a size 16 sulphur comparadun. It's the second year in a row that we have had good sulphur hatches this late in the season.
The best dry fly fishing on the Millers starts now and lasts through mid October. Experience it NOW!!
Ken


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice new format Ken!
As always thanks for the updates, good to hear that water levels are back to normal.
I look forward to reading more (we hope) and getting on up to the Millers in the near future.

Rick
R.I.

rmitchell@neit.edu