Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, March 6, 2009

Waiting for Spring

T.S. Elliot said that "April is the cruelest month". He's wrong. It's February!!! For the flyfisher it's the longest month even though it has the fewest days. A 30 degree day in February is colder than a 20 degree day in January. It has the most snow. It's the month where cabin fever rages across the flyfishing land. I'm glad that month is over.

It was a bad month. First, the flu knocked me out for a week. Second, the Swift has let me down. Last year February wasn't that bad on this river. My records show low flows and enough trout to keep my mind off the calendar. But this year, except for a two day period, the Swift has been 300+cfs since the first of the year. I like the Swift for it's light line fishing over low water, spooky trout. Slugging away with weighted flies is not what I want to do. So I'll just wait and tie more flies.

The above photo is of the lower, lower Swift at the second Bondsville dam. More on that in the future.

Ken

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ditto. Nice photo too. I can't wait to get out there.