Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Post Evening Sun And The Fly I Skipped Over



First, We had a great Sunday at Charlies Evening Sun Fly Shop. The house was packed for my presentation, maybe too packed, but we got it off and it was great. Flyfishers: Charlies is the place to get what you need whether it's equipment or advice. I have bought rods from Charlie and have asked for advice. I'm a better flyfisher for that!!! Do your business here!!!

During my presentation a slide was shown which I kind of skipped past. It was a photo of a fly that I first tied 40 years ago. I caught lots of fish with it. NOTE: hatchery trout were as dumb 40 years ago as they are today but we don't want to use the same flies that caught all of those fish. Why? Because it's kind of "incorrect" to use a traditional "wet fly". What does it represent?? Consider that thought when you cast your wooley buggers this season!!

This fly in the photo has no name. It is a traditional wet fly. It works when I use it and I should use it more often. This year I will!

Hook - wet fly hook 12 - 14
Body - yellow dubbing
Rib - tying thread (brown)
Wing - brown grizzly hackle tips. I dyed these with RIT brown dye
Hackle - soft brown hen hackle

Another fast to choppy water emerger pattern. Late May and June evenings when the caddis are dancing is when I use it. I've caught trout decades ago with it. It still works.

Why did I skip past it during the presentation? I thought I might be too "incorrect"!!!!

Ken

9 comments:

Biggie_Robs said...

Nice emerger! I wanted to attend but was unable. Glad there was a good turnout. Maybe next time!

Will said...

Ditto Biggie Robs - glad you had a good turnout.

Love that fly. I've noticed in the tying community that Don Bastian's and others "rework" of the Bergman Wet flies seems to have perked up an interest among new fishermen about tying and fishing classic wet's... They really are great flies, and man, I'd say they may be the easiest flies to fish successfully short of a bugger :)

Ill be making up a few of your yellow wet's Ken - looks great! Actually reminds me some of a LaFontain sparkle emerger...

Will

Scott M said...

Wooly buggers are meant to imitate hellgrammites, the Millers is full of them. The wet fly is a good emerger or even small baitfish pattern. Streamers are baitfish patterns. I don't see anything "incorrect" about using any of these. In the C&R sections, the only thing "incorrect" would be a big fat nightcrawler IMHO...

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Scott,

I've heard that wb's represent hellgramites as well as crayfish as well as all sorts of baitfish. The Millers has plenty of the above.

The "incorrect" that I mention is the fact that many flyfishers look down upon traditional wet flies as flies that really do not represent anything specific (one insect). Many look down on the WB and the SJW for the same reason. 40 years ago Orvis had page after page of traditional wet flies. Where are they now??

The idea is to catch trout on a fly. Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Still doing a nice job Ken!
Thanks,
Cliff

Bob O said...

As much as I like Ames' book on New England Hatches, I'm a real 'incorrect' fisher - finding flies that look alot like everything but not quite like anything particular can be effective, and fun to invent.

Bob O

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

Perfectly said!!

Hot spots and pinheads fit that description. They represent a "group" of flies in various sizes. To tie specific patterns to represent specific flies may be a fools game. One very good flyfisher that I know once said that SIZE and PROFILE mean the most. Color is too subjective to count for much. that advice has worked for me.

zken

Ken

Scott said...

Guys

Count me in on the traditional wet fly list. It's the only way I have fished for the last couple years with very good success. As I have read, it's been working for a few hundred years.

Scott

Dave said...

Bob,
Agreed! Especially for newer fisherman like myself who havent figured out 100% of what hatches, when, and what they look like. I have fallen in love with soft hackles. What exactly do they imitate? Probably nothing specifically most times....but the profile and movement drive fish bananas.