Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, June 12, 2017

The Riffle Walker And An update

"Trout are among those creatures who are one hell of a lot prettier than they ought to be. They can get you wondering about the hidden workings of reality" John Gierach


This is a simple fly that is close to the the old elk hair caddis except there's no elk hair and no unsightly hair stubble above the hook eye. It floats like a cork and looks more like a caddis than the EHC.

Hook - size 14 to 18

body - your choice of color but olive and gray work well.

Hackle - brown grizzly palmered over the body and a size that is TWO times smaller than normally used for the hook you are using (why brown grizzly? I dyed a half cape a few years ago and it looks good so I use it. A good somber color like a caddis.)

Wing - blue dun CDC hackle fibers

Front hackle - blue dun dry fly hackle to match the hook.

I worked up a few and they float well and caught a fish or two. More on this pattern shortly.

It was a good weekend on the rivers that I report on with the flows coming down and the trout coming up. This heat wave breaks Tuesday and this week/weekend could be the best. Try the Ware in the evening this week or the EB. I think the Millers will be behaving this weekend. Finally!!!




















6 comments:

GW said...

Ken,

I like the look of that body hackle and the CDC wing. A good Millers fly?

GW

Johnson From Accounting said...

Ken, very attractive DHC substitute!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Johnson,

Thank you. I still think it's a bit over dressed.

GW,

I'll put it on the Millers tomorrow.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Neat looking Caddis!! Think I will have to twist up a few. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Just curious is that tail CDC or hackle? Why do you put a tail on a Caddis?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

No tail, just a few stray hackle fibers. Like I said in a previous comment: "I still think it's a bit over dressed".

Ken