Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, August 14, 2017

Learning To Cast And The Lower Millers.

"The trouble is, trout don't always play by the rules, so for every anatomically correct fly pattern that works, there's a corresponding Christmas tree ornament that works too" - John Gierach



One thing I've noticed over the last twenty years is that many fly anglers have been introduced to this pastime through the back door of nymphing. Nothing wrong with that because you will catch some fish. But what happens when you're not nymphing but actually have to CAST a fly or more correctly have to cast a fly line.? Let's face it, nymphing is not fly casting but more like fly lobbing or "chuck'n & duck'n". (And don't get me going about casting weighted flies on 30 foot leaders! The next step would be to buy a noodle rod, right??) More often than not the average nymph fisher is not a good caster and cannot deliver a dry fly or a sunken fly with any distance or accuracy. It's not his fault because that's the way he was taught. He can cast (lob) a weighted nymph rig but he's baffled by casting a fly line. (A sure sign of this is the fellow that needs a dozen false casts to launch a fly). The mechanics of casting a fly line are totally different.

What's the next step?  Instead of shelling out big bucks for a "dry fly rod", which will not improve your casting, you should take a casting lesson with a casting instructor. Notice that I said casting instructor and not a fly fishing lesson. One on One time to review your technique and to "retool" you will serve you very well in the future and keep you from being a "one trick pony" on a trout stream.  One instructor that will put you on the road to salvation is George Roberts of eastern Massachusetts.
https://masterthecast.com/fly-casting-instruction/   Check him out!!!


Monday night had some surprises in store on the lower Millers. The Erving Center section, a real bear to wade at 250 cfs and almost impossible to wade at 350 is now a comfortable 150. This allows you to cast into areas that were beyond reach just a month or so ago. We spent 1.5 hours on that section and I landed 4 smallmouth, 3 bluegills AND 2 BROWN TROUT on dries. The browns were rising fish of about 12 to 14 inches and a careful wade into mid current put me into position for a 30 foot drag free presentation. The flies? One was a chewed up hopper and the other was a hornberg. I'll be back to this place soon. BTW, the lower Catch & Release section of the Millers ENDS at the bridge spanning the Millers on Arch Street and NOT were the local TU Chapter map says it does behind the paper mill. Just check out the C&R section of the DFW site to prove this.

Ken










15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, worked the opposite way for me. As a "real flyfisherman", I could drop a dry fly into your hat out to 40', but couldn't figure out that nymphing thing until I tried one of those long rods and leaders. Believe me I learned that fishing those accurately, and effectively isn't like the old "chuck and duck" of my Salmon River days. And if you are chuck and ducking your flies are far too heavy my friend! I'm using 18's and 20's right now!

Lest you think I am a one trick pony, I prefer fishing emergers to rising trout, but carry the longer rod for those times that nothing is showing on top. Nymphing is very effective at times and at other times and locations is a waste of time just like any other method. Got to be flexible in this game.

Bill said...

Browns? Dang you must have found some cool stream inlet? I should "follow" your car like some folks follow stocking trucks in the spring! Have a great day.

Bill =)

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Bill!!

Ken

hockey_dad said...

Hi Ken- a hornberg ! I thought those flies only worked in Pittsburg, NH. If you're not getting any fish up there the locals will say to you : Have you tried a hornberg ?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

You learned to cast a traditional setup FIRST then learned nymphing which should of been a breeze for you. What I'm taking about is the novice who has done pretty much nothing but nymphing and then tries to conventionally cast 30 feet.

You and I both know that most nymph fishing doesn't include sub 18 flies and does include weight.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Actually Ken for forty years I never fished nymphs, just wets,streamers and drys. Tried suspender nymphing and really hated it due to the weight and clumsiness of the cast/lob. Tried the tight line method and found it effective for close in Trout in pocket water. Most of my success comes with #16 BH Pheasant tails or #18/20 Zebra Midge fished on a 15' hand tied tapered leader with 6x tippet. Lots of times an RS2 or caddis emerger on the top dropper. With a soft rod I can cast a tandem pair using a Belgian cast or use a Tuck Cast as needed. NO I can't get to the bottom in very fast deep runs with this setup and I might need to add a touch of sink putty or go to another heavier fly, but usually I can make this work for me. Mostly fishing 1'-4' of water anyway.

You are right about a lot of new fishermen needing casting lessons though. See it every evening when fishing drys. They pay a lot for the rod taper and can't utilize it.

Anonymous said...

You are right about lessons but like any sport it takes more than one. When it comes to fly fishing people spend money and want to catch fish and their time is limited because of work and family. Those of you who are fortunate to fish regularly and develop your skills should keep that in mind. I may be wrong but fishing New England streams is a different skill set than in a normal casting lesson. We should be lucky they are trying and maybe someone might give them some advice along the way. As someone who now fishes less I find my skill set is not what it use to be.

niveker said...

Funny post, Ken. Your point brought me back to being taught to fly fish 50 years ago by my Dad, who refuse to take me out on the river until I had become proficient with a basic cast. I spent hours on the front lawn with a wisp of yarn for a fly. Then promptly fell in my first time on the river with him. Still have that rod and reel and use it occasionally.

Hardly a new phenomenon, though. I think Charles Ritz wrote about this way back in the 50's.

Always look forward to your posts, and the comments that follow.

Thanks.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Niveker,

I think Charles Ritz liked casting a fly line as much as he liked to fly fish. I remember a photo of him whipping out 90 foot casts at a casting pond while wearing a blazer and tie!!!

Ken

NHwildbow said...

Amen Ken! I learned how to cast long before I learned how to nymph. It is a good and bad thing. I used to think that fly fishing was all about meticulous 90 ft casts (how wrong was I, right?). Nymphing reminded me to read water and pick apart seams meticulously and methodically. Once I went back to relearning dry flies this year, the learning curve was much shorter. Most kids these days learn how to euro nymph and nothing else. Sure, that teaches you how to read water but ultimately results in a floundering casting technique. The way I learned was slower but looking back, I liked it since it gave me the chance to work on multiple different fishing techniques and become more versatile.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ashutosh,

All fly fishing techniques requires one to "read water and pick apart seams meticulously and methodically" as you say. This is very important in swinging soft hackles or Atlantic Salmon flies and with dries it is critical. Presentation is the key to success and good presentation requires casting skills. I agree with you that casting skills are somewhat lacking these days.

Ken

Anonymous said...

When you get to a certain age you may discover that your old sryle methods are back in fashion. For me, learning to fly fish involved casting hoppers and muddlers with no great elegance. It works pretty well, but not all the time obviously. So I am pleased to hear Ken is scoring with the hopper and Hornberg. For all of us, some methods of fishing are just more fun. I do so like to see the fly, and then see the take. Tiny flies just annoy me. Can't tie them on and then I can't see them on the water. Brookies please me because they do so like those bushy flies. Why can't all trout be so accommodating?

Peter

Sam said...

Peter,

After going for trout as a youngster, with worms in small streams tossing them into undercut banks, runs and likely areas, for some reason back then I felt the desire to be a fly fisherman. Maybe seeing Ted Williams or Gaddabout Gaddis on TV fly fishing had something to do with that.

My first fly rod was a Ted Williams model bought from Sears with saved up money, and using a popper as a fly, I caught a very nice smallmouth bass below the dam at gate 43 at Quabbin. That was all it took to make me love fly fishing, especially dry fly still to this day. I still like hooking them sub surface, but I would much rather see the trout hit the fly on top and the challenge that comes with that.

Regards, Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

My first fishing as a kid was with a balsa float and maggots in England. I think I stared some fish into submission. I was hoping for chub and barbel. When I started fishing in New England it was for bass with topwater plugs. That was quite exciting - when it happened. So, dry fly fishing is more of the same. Watching for fish to come slam your enticement. I do like the visual element, but of course, actually catching fish is important too. And if there is nothing doing on top, then you have to figure out what the trout want down below.

Peter

Sam said...

That is my formula, Peter. I always start out with dry flies, but if it isn't happening, as was tonight, I am fishing nymphs. Nothing doing with that either by the way. Just one of those times when the fish weren't hitting. Rain came down and it was time for a shot and a beer on a Friday night.