Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

10 Years After, Your Comments, The Rivers, The Farmington

Ken,
Thank you once again for continuing to educate everyone who enjoys reading all the information you have provided over the years from your Millers River guide to your routine blog updates. I find myself frequently going back to both as I did earlier this week prior to getting ready to hit the upper trestle pool. I hadn't fished it in over a year and couldn't remember exactly how to access the middle without taking a swim in the process. I managed to find that special perch, mid pool and had a blast watching 4 browns annihilate a Chernobyl ant - so fun! Also had lots of success swinging soft hackles in sections downstream from there, but the main point is that you are THE MAN! Keep on writing and teaching us because you can't imagine how many secret admirers you have! ......and now that you're free mid week, I am hoping to find a day to play hooky with you on the EB before it gets too late.

Thank you,
Paul

Wow, I can't believe it but this blog is 10 YEARS OLD this month.  What started as a fragile experiment is now THE trusted source of fly fishing information for Central New England. Many people have been introduced to this sport through this blog.  Thousands have gotten to know the Millers River, Swift River, Ware and the EB through this blog and through the Millers River Guide. Tens of thousands have gotten exposure to this blog from Boston area TV and through national flyfishing publications.  In short, This blog is known for it's original reports and observations  (no mail-it-in videos here) and for a comment section that is beyond reproach!!!!!



When I started this blog in 2006 the blogosphere (and the internet) was a different place. Besides a few "forums" and message boards nobody covered central New England flyfishing. You couldn't "hitch a ride" on another popular website - THERE WERE NONE!!! Facebook and YouTube were barely two years old and Instagram wasn't even embryonic. You had no help so you had to do it yourself. No links to "awesome videos". You needed REAL original content. In short, you had to FLYFISH the rivers you highlighted and then write about your experiences. And the purpose had one goal - to promote central Massachusetts flyfishing on a select group of rivers.

Many support my reporting on certain sections of rivers but there are those that don't. I've always felt that reporting on a good day on a stream and not mentioning that I was at the Upper Trestle, Cady Lane or the Bliss pool was like writing a restaurant review about a great dinner but not naming the restaurant. Are you afraid that if you do you won't get a table the next time around?? By naming the spots where I fish I PROMOTE THE RIVER and not just myself so someone else can share the same great experience. As I've said for years - I've fished and written about a spot all season long but I'm still alone when I fish it.  But you're a guide giving away spots on a river!!  Correction, I'm a busy guide who gives away spots on a river.

I don't use this blog to promote big-box-internet flyfishing entities and I don't accept discounts from them. I promote owner run, stand alone, fly shops, bamboo rod makers, inventors and environmentalists!!!  Someday I'll write about about the fly fishing industry and the marketing slight of hand that's used.

Blogs come and go. Guides come and go. Another 10 years??? Why not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Comments - You readers are burying  this blog in comments and that's a good thing. No other blog that I know of has as high a percentage of READER comments as this blog. As I've said before your comments make this a blog within a blog.  Good work!


The Rivers -

You knew it was going to happen. The rivers kept getting lower during this "dry spell" (I don't want to use the word "drought") which means that the Quabbin faucet would be turned on and the Swift would go UP. And it did and I got to witness this 80 cfs increase first hand. The Swift is now holding at 129 cfs which some anglers like. Me? Not so much. I get a bit worried at this time of year because the brookies need shallower conditions for spawning. Last year we had high water almost into October and no fish were on the traditional spawning sites until the flow was reduced. This may all end on a good note if we get rain as forecast this week. Let's hope so and maybe the drought release from Quabbin should be readdressed given the spawning brook trout!

The Millers - They are playing with the flow at the dam in Orange Center. As I write the flow is an ok 155 cfs but it has been as low as 60. Even with this condition I've gotten good reports on the Millers especially the Upper Trestle Pool which has skunked me this year. The river has a lot of browns in the 10 to 12 inch range and they are working the surfacr.


The EB - A week and a half ago this river was at +200 cfs. It fished great at 80 cfs but the trout got spooky at 58 cfs. As I write it's at 45 and under 24 hour watch!!!! After last week I've got the EB on the brain because the fishing was so good.

The Farmington - Very possibly New Englands' best river but many people haven't fished it because they don't know where to start. If that's the case then backcast to my December 10 2016 post " The Farmington - How to get started". You will be pointed in the right direction!!

Pray For Rain!

Ken














16 comments:

hockey_dad said...

Ken- congratulations on 10 years of publishing this blog. I for one havecsurely benefited from your insights on the EB and other branches of the Westfield. Keep up the good work. In 2 weeks heading up to Pittsburg, NH and will report back on any luck or misadventures I might have.

Lenny said...

Congrats Ken! I wouldn't have become a soft hackle bum if it wasn't for you and your blog!!

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hockey_dad,

Thank you. Looking forward to your Pittsburg NH report!!

Lenny,

Thank you. We should go fishing soon. I still remember that October afternoon last year where you beat up those rainbows on those beautiful riffles!!

Ken

Lenny said...

Just say when! As do I, it was a day to remember for sure! Swinging no less!!

Lenny

tincup said...

Congrats Ken I know this was hard to do correctly and the way u have done it you get half of the people upset(your giving away info) and the other half glad because the learning curve becomes way easier. U have helped so many beat the frustration you cant ever realize. I discovered this page 7 years ago an visit each day as one of my favorites. The reason is simple u made a comment to do it RIGHT. There is a bunch of others I try and follow but those can go weeks if not months without UPDATES to do this correctly updates are needed to keep fresh and you and your readers do just that. KEEP IT UP AND NEVER CHANGE A THING. Tight lines my friend and congrats again TINCUP

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tincup (Bob),

You are like some long lost seafaring brother to me. We are the same and we will fish together for years!!

Ken

Lenny,
Put me on your Deerfield sections and it will happen!

Ken

Lenny said...

Done!!

Lenny

Sam said...

Ken, congrats on 10 years of your blog site which I have learned so much from. I always appreciate the fly suggestions and pictures of them.

I will be honest, Ken, I don't catch that many trout in the zones I fish, but appreciate and enjoy each and every one. I don't say where I catch them being there aren't that many trout left after the nice ones are taken home by the catch and keep fishermen. I don't begrudge them of that, trusting they have a license.

They never catch them all, and frankly I greatly enjoy the challenge of connecting with those that are left. I would post more about specific spots, but I don't in that I don't know if it is just catch and release fly fishermen that read your blog site instead of a bucket brigade that will take more than their share.

In closing, I can not thank you enough for how you have helped me in my fly fishing. I have not hired you for a guide, but I should and probably will when I get a chance to spend more time fishing once I retire.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I always enjoy your comments and they will always be welcome on this site.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Congrats on 10 years!!

GW

Dalton Jones said...

Congrats on your blog! Glad I started reading it I learn a lot from here and the comments you all share!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Good to hear from you, Dalton!

Ken

Anonymous said...

ken since I left mass in 2013 and moved to maine..I now have until nov.30 till open-water fishing ends here in this state....
I miss mass, especially the millers
you and alan (s.s.r.) really started me fly-tying..with Great success I might add

congrats on a decade of this blog !!!

fly~~~

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ken, for your enduring efforts and an enjoyable blog, not to mention your entertaining Millers River Guide.

I was out on the Millers in South Royalston yesterday. The good news is that you can now park at the end of Blossom street next to the new water filtration plant. There is a decent trail along the North side of the river to the trestle and the beginning of the catch and release. So you are on the best side of the river for fishing. From this trail you can spot some nice looking pools and runs before you get to the trestle with lots of room to wade and cast.

Well, the weather was cloudy and I had high hopes. I started at the Thousand Acre Brook and worked my way back up to the filtration plant. Maybe we should call it Thousand Cast Run because the trout were hiding all afternoon. I tried nymphs and dries, hoppers and woolly buggers in fast and slow water, shallow and deep. Maybe one larger fish showed interest over five hours. Tiny chub were eager to please. Maybe the water is still a little too warm. Never mind, this stretch of river is serene and very much wild New England. Plus, I improved my fly casting accuracy significantly. Next time!

Peter

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Peter,

Some group, I think a Mt. bike group, cut a trail along the north bank a few years ago and called it the Blue Trail, I believe. I followed it to above Thousand Acre Brook and that's it. I've been parking at the WWTP for years but the fishing above the trestle is tough going. Thousand Acre looks great and I've had some success there.

Ken

Unknown said...

Ken: I have followed uour blog for several years. I always learn something. I don't fish very often so I never post. However I do check the blog every day. Thanks . Rich Duffy