Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Myths Of Autumn And Streamer Tips




We caught trout on stoneflies in fits and starts all morning, periodically switching out one fly pattern for another as the ones we'd been using went cold. Nobody knows why that happens. - John Gierach on Fall like conditions




In my not-so-humble-opinion the BEST fly fishing of the season is starting right now and will continue until we are tired of eating turkey and then with some weather luck, it will continue a bit further. Autumn fishing is great but some people get frustrated because of the lower (usually) flow conditions, fish that have wised up and the stubborn adherence to some disproven theories which will kill your success.

1. It's Autumn and trout will put on the feed bag because Winter is coming

Trout don't read calendars and don't anticipate ANYTHING! Their feeding is dictated by water temperature which controls their metabolism, period. Tom Rosenbaurer, from Orvis, once wrote that trout consume more calories in May and June then they do at any other time of the year. Sure, there's a lot of food available but water temperatures in the mid 50's will get them eating more than temperatures in the mid 40's or the mid 60's. Remember, water temperatures at mid day in mid September may be a bit high, mid day in mid October is usually perfect and mid day in mid November the temperatures are on the downturn. It's still fishable but things are slowing down.

2. All of the natural foods are smaller in the Fall

Not true!!! If your life revolves around mayflies then you will not have the bigger flies of Spring to deal with but you will have isonychia (size 14), Stoneflies (up to 3 year nymph life which means big nymphs in the Fall), Hellgramites (big nymphs that live in that stage for up to 5 years), October Caddis (a BIG October fly), ants, beetles, hoppers, crayfish (the EB is full of them) and young of the year fry that in some streams make up the largest protein source. Also remember that many rivers will get another dose of hatchery rookies that will take any day glow offering that you have.

Actually, I like casting a size 24 BWO on a cloudy October day as much as I like working over Hendricksons!!
                                                                            Isonychia Nymph

Yes, I do fish streamers but not often. But when I do it's been with the Thunder Creek series/style which works fine for me. In fact, my biggest trout this year was taken on the Ware with a Thunder Creek Marabou streamer on a rising river during a driving rain.

I also tie this style on short shank scud hooks and fish it quartering upstream like a nymph. When it gets below me I'm mending like I'm fishing a soft hackle. Fish it slowly like it's a wounded bait fish.

I don't add beads or barbell weights to this fly for fresh water use and you don't have to either or you may make the same mistake as one on-line fly tier did. He tied a small bait fish streamer with a light underbelly, a darker mid section and a dark back just as you should. Then he lashed in a barbell weight, AKA Clouser style, on the TOP of the Fly which means that when the fly hits water the barbell will sink first which means the poor fly will ride belly up (upside down) in the current.

Live and learn!

This weeks showers are only going to help our rivers. Backcast to my previous post and read the comment about the EB and the MB by Gary.

Ken












14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken

I love the color of that top Thunder Creek streamer. Looks like you like to use sharpies!

GW

Sam said...

Ken,

Thanks for the reminder on the partridge and orange soft hackle in your previous blog post. I had good brookie action on it yesterday, along with elk hair caddis for a couple of risers, one of which was a plump and colorful 13"er.

I love the brookies of course, but haven't cracked the code on the rainbows lately, not sure where they are hanging out these days. I have caught very few browns this year, and haven't had one on the line for a couple of months now. All I can think of is they are in the shallow riffles that I usually walk past to fish pools and deeper runs.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

GW,

I like sharpies!!

Sam,

I think I know where you fish and it is not the home of many rainbows. At least ones that I can catch. Lots of brook trout though.

Worked the EB for an hour yesterday before getting chased off by a thunderstorm. 2 browns and 4 bows on parachute BWO.

Ken

Dalton Jones said...

Heard a report of a flying ant hatch happening in western mass yesterday don't forget the ants! Hoping the rain we get will only help the rivers and not be detriment by the weekend!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dalton,

I saw ONE flying ant yesterday and conditions were perfect: early September, warm and humid.

I'm also watching the flows.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Thunder Creeks and sharpies are so old school. Like wearing a fedora while fly fishing. Dorky.

Anonymous said...

I was fishing the Millers in Wendell, yesterday - Kempfield then upper trestle. Wet wading and enjoying the last warmth of Summer. Thunderstorms passed by on both sides but not a drop of rain for me. River was quite high but(pan)fish were very active - it took me until evening to see some brown trout action on dry flies. Two escaped from my barbless hooks and then I managed to hang on to a very beautiful one.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous at 7:53,

I suppose you think bamboo is dorky too. Why don't you put on your UV face mask, branded fishing cap and practice your artificial bait fishing, AKA nymphing!!!!

Anonymous at 8:08,

You're lucky because I got rained on at the EB!!!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

While I do tight line nymph, I think your column and retort to another Anonymous was spot on! Love those thunder creeks!!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 11:59,

We all do what we like to do, fedoras included!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Picked up 2 on the millers by Pete and Henry's on a beetle. And lost a hog at dusk on s Morrish mouse. I believe I've read on past post that you use snowshoe hares feet instead of cdc, can you elaborate

Millers River Flyfisher said...


Anonymous 2:23,

Snowshoe is more durable than CDC and with practice you can tie sizes down to 24 with it. (I've seen a size 30 tied with it) The snowshoe hair to use comes from the foot with the best coming from between the toes and from the bottom of the foot through the heel. The rest isn't as good as some have found out. It is very hard to sink and very visible.

Ken

Sam said...

Nothing doing in the rain tonight, floating a "Usual" dry fly with a small midge dropper. I spotted a nose come out of the depths to inspect the offering, but it sunk back to where it came from. I think it was inspecting the dropper fly, but in any case it didn't like what it saw.

That Usual fly made of snow shoe foot fur floats like crazy. I used it for a good while tonight and it was still floating when I took it off for lack of action.

Niveker said...

Hi Ken,

I was lucky enough to get out to an unpopular but easily accessible section of the Swift for 2-3 hours before sunset this past Saturday AND Sunday, all alone both evenings. There seemed to be a small hatch of both white and yellow mayflies, but no takers for my imitations of those hatches.

Wanted to stay with dries in the riffles, so I switched to size 12 Royal Wulffs, and BAM! Brookies galore, from just a few to 12 inches. Good evenings for me.

Always amazed at how aggressive those Brook Trout can be.

As always, enjoy your posts and your readers' replies, keep 'em coming.