Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, February 26, 2018

Streamers And A Caddis

" Most of my guiding clients have one request besides catching trout - "I don't like crowds" is the constant theme and crowds can be avoided even on the Swift. We just avoid the Y Pool and the Pipe unless we are the only ones there which is rare. Being crowd free is easy on the Millers, Ware and the three branches of the Westfield." Ken



My friend Lenny has spent the winter spey casting along the Deerfield with good results I would suspect. "I haven't fished a nymph in months, just streamers". That got me thinking. I plan to spend a little time in Florida in March and I am low on big briny streamers. It's also going to give me a chance to tie a unique style of streamer - the Hud's Bushwacker style!

Check out the photo and take a good look at the hook. No traditional streamer hook here but a PLASTIC WORM HOOK  (the worm is plastic, not the hook) in a 2/0 size. The fly is basically all wing and no body and the wing actually forms a weed guard for the hook.


The question is will one be able to get this hook in a trout size, say a size 4? The bushwacker tying style certainly has its benefits over the traditional style - more material movement and the ability to create the slim body profile that many bait fish have.

I think that 2/0 might tempt one of those Swift River browns!!!!




I also needed to stock up on some old reliables and one is the simple Emerging Caddis. First used at the junction of the Cold River and the Deerfield 30 years ago this fly just gets it done.

Hook - size 14-16 standard wet or dry

Body - grey dubbing of either rabbit or synthetic

Wing - sparse grey partridge

Head - black ostrich

Fish this critter near the surface especially in the riffles


Ken







10 comments:

tincup said...

great pattern only if the hook was in stainless. Good for freshwater but will rust out in salt really quickly. Also large stripers blues and saltwater fish will straighten the hook the hook company Owner makes one for salt in size 1/0 to 5/0. Couldn't find one small enough for trout our small patterns. The owner hooks also rust but if u pretreat with mineral oil and w-d-40 they last longer. Also u get miss hits for some reason I cant explain. One thing they are really great for is weedy water. When it fishes when other can't.

Lenny said...

It's been a pleasant surprise there this winter.

Lenny

Hibernation said...

Ken -
Those worm hook "weedless" streamers work awesome. There is enough head space, and the flies make it through grass in FL really well. The snook, jacks, red's etc all love em down there (not to mention lots of fish up here from bass to salt water fish). GREAT streamers those hidden hook point style steamers can be. Your going to get a lot of fish on those.
Will

Millers River Flyfisher said...

tincup (Bob),

I think I have to disagree on the rusting out part. I read years ago that there was a guy on the Cape who used BIG worm hooks (5/0) to go after big stripers and he used a nickel plated hook. Half of the stripers that I caught with you last July were not caught on stainless. I threw them in the bag without rinsing them and they are still hard and sharp.

Will,

I hope so!!!

Lenny,

I'm going to work the lower river this Spring to try for some shad, carp and of course TROUT.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Love the look of that caddis!!!!!

GW

Lenny said...

Shad are on the list, especially on the swing!

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,

I've heard that behind the Academy is a good spot.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the caddis recipe. I remember you featuring it in your blog years ago and could never figure out the way to tie it.

Chris Stewart said...

The Daiichi X-15 offset gap worm hook comes in a size 4. There's not much room to tie in your wing so you'll have to tie it sparse.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chris,

Good to hear from you! I'll have to try them out.

Ken