Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Back Home, Ready For August And A Dream Gig

"Many go fishing their entire lives without knowing it is not fish they are after" - Henry David Thoreau


It's good to be back home. Northeast Georgia is beautiful and full of trout but I am a homeboy at heart and was daydreaming of summer evenings on the Millers and the EB on the flight back which has always been my favorite time on those rivers. I will say one thing about Georgia fly fishing - the Upper Toccoa, a FREESTONE, may be one of the BEST freestones I've seen in the eastern USA. It is July but it was running cool and full enough to hold trout and a lot of them. I'll be back!!


I can honestly state that some of the best Millers/EB fly fishing has been from 7pm onward during late July and August and I've got over ten years of blog entries to back that up. Now, I admit to defaulting to the Swift during bankers hours if that's my only option but I would prefer to be on the Millers or the EB when the shadows fall and the trout begin to rise. The "Evening Rise" is a part of our legacy.


What's My Strategy?

First, I'm not there to drown flies but to catch rising trout. A typical start to an evening would be to get there around 6pm and toss something large to mimic a hopper, beetle or some dumb land insect that has found itself in the water. When I say "large" I am only talking about size 12 or so. This strategy has worked really well on the EB in the riffles and the heads of pools and it will continue to work until I begin to see the telltale rise forms of trout taking emerging insects. At this time I want to mimic whatever insect is getting ready to hatch. Notice I said "mimic" and not "match". You want something that is close in body size and profile (shape). The color should be of a brownish cream because that's the color of most (isonychia excluded) emerging insects (they're still wearing their exoskeleton ) at this time of year. Bob Wyatt's DHE emerger or a size 14 to 16 Comparadun will do the trick, especially a comparadun that can double as an emerger or an adult fly.

>

The Water's Too Low

That's the excuse that's mostly heard about summer on the EB. Last year, during some low water conditions in August and September, I had some double digit mornings on that river working small soft hackles and then olive emergers. The flow was between 60 and 80 cfs and we had to hunt for the fish and then work hard to get them to take but we did it. The flow was the same in October when the DFW decided NOT to stock the EB because of LOW FLOW. I still don't think they believed the tales of us catching trout in skinny water!!!

Off To Argentina

Good friend Lenny, who has been a frequent supplier of worthwhile comments to this blog and a newly minted graduate of UMASS informed me that he has been hired by a fly fishing guide service in, of all places, ARGENTINA!!!!!!!!!! His stint is from early November to April which is their summer and prime time on those rivers.  I am very happy for him. It was only a few years ago that he was making the weekend drive from Brockton to fish our central/western Ma rivers and then making the transfer to UMASS in Amherst to be even closer.

Looking forward to some fish stories, Lenny!


Ken










9 comments:

Lenny said...

P.S. you need a make up to date picture of me!

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,

Ok, I'll take one of you at the Farmie with a 20 inch brownie!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for soft hackle flies. I caught wild brookies and salmon last weekend up on the Magalloway river in Maine using a small hare's ear soft hackle fly. Very easy to cast, and less snags than nymphing.

Dave

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dave,

"Very easy to cast, and less snags than nymphing". That says it all!!

Ken

Gary K said...

Ken,

Welcome back, sounds like a great trip to GA. Had a double digit late afternoon on the Swift below Rte 9. A sulfur (invaria) hatch had brookies rising for an hour plus. Soft hackle sulfur in sz 14/16 worked well.

Gary Kolanda

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Georgia was great and I'm glad that you did well. Soft Hackles rule!!!!

Ken

BobT said...

IMO its Stimmie time! When you mention throwing something big...a yellow stimmie imitates a whole bunch of things reasonably well. I used to have banner summer days on the Westfield and Farmington prospecting with a #10-12 Stimulator. Just got back from Montana-fished the Madison, Lamar, Gallatin and got scared off Slough Creek by a bear situated between me and my brother....overall it was outstanding fishing and the best of the 6 or so trips we have made out there together. My brother got 20" brown which I think was the biggest of the trip but between us, we got a few dozen in the 15-20" range. My #2 fly was a stimmie (tail end of the Salmon fly hatch and beginning of the yellow sally hatch so a bunch of Stimmies in yellow and orange were thrown) but overall the Missing Link Caddis was my #1. Its a great fly to imitate both mayflies and caddis and its easy to see but a PITA to tie. They just openened up another 10 mile stretch of the Madison for wading access which is awesome...both Raynolds Pass and $3 Bridge where full of anglers but everyone gave everyone else space. I got to meet Rene Harrop by chance-we were scouting the Henry's Fork but they were messing with the water and the shops said to stay on the Madison you may not get a cast in 4-5 hours of stalking fish. Rene came rambling up to the lot we were in in an old Chevy Scottsdale with his dog in the passenger seat-super old school rig. I just walked up to him and said hi and that he made a huge contribution to the sport- he was super gracious and humble...we had a nice chat...also met anglers from San Diego, Tenessee, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Sacramento and Texas ...many were camping right on the river at Raynolds or $3 in either a tent, the back of their truck or an RV...its cheap and kinda neat to see so many from so far making a one time or annual pilgrimage to the Madison. Met an angler from France sight fishing showing insane patience fishing for a riser on Ruby River-incredible caster but spoke zero english...seemed nice though. Saw many more women fishing out there which is cool...many were alone some with their spouse/partner others with a few other girls. It was not my intention to recap the trip but I did...sorry. I highly recommend everyone who hasn't yet: to get out there. I would avoid staying in West Yellowstone( very $$$ for what you get in accomodations) Ennis or someplace north of the park would be recommended.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I'll post your trip recaps anytime. Harrop is a genius at the vise. He tied all the no-hackles for the book SELECTIVE TROUT. Those quill winged dries - works of art.

Ken

BobT said...

Every few years I try tying them but ...mine are pathetic compared to his. I actually should have bought a dozen of his flies...they are spendy but next time for sure.