Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Spring's Wiggler Revisited And Book Me

"Trout are among those creatures who are one hell of a lot prettier than they need to be. They can get you to wondering about the hidden workings of reality." - John Gierach



It was decades ago when I first saw a photo of this Michigan steelhead fly and it was love at first sight!- The Springs Wiggler! Then it was a relationship that never got off the ground. Every few years this fly would "wink" at me from some fly fishing magazine and I would be smitten all over again. That's been my life with the Spring's Wiggler. (Note: it is sometimes referred to as the SPRING WIGGLER but it was invented by someone named Ron Spring so we will refer to it as his fly).

Why I liked this fly - IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG NYMPH!!!! A big Stonefly, a big Hexagenia nymph, a big Hellrammite, I'll throw in a crayfish for good measure but not some stupid junk fly that looks like NOTHING because back then they didn't have a lot of junk flies . Flies looked like insects or bait fish and not a product of an acid trip!




What I didn't like about this fly - First, being a traditional steelie fly it is tied BIG and that's big as in size 4 and 6.  I was hell bent on reducing the size to trout size (10 or 12) and that was my downfall. You see, the recipe for this creature calls for grey or red squirrel tail which looks great on a large fly but sucks on a smaller fly as in "out of proportion". It gave the finished product a squat, "crushed butterfly" look instead of something that swims for a living.  So, I gave up for a while and placed the rejects in a bass box where they killed at Wachusett. (no trout, just smallies).


I never give up for river trout or any fish that lives in a river. It was when I was driving home from an evening on the Millers (the best time to fish that river) that my eureka moment came. Why not change that god awful hair shell and go with peacock or ostrich. The profile of the fly was reduced. It looked like an insect belonging to the river and I caught trout. Case solved!!! Me and the Spring's Wiggler are back together again and will never part!!!!!!!

This fly must be fished near the bottom. (remember all those big nymphs I mentioned earlier? Well, they live on the bottom). Two ways to do that is with split shot, the most versatile way, or by building a bead into it. Don't wrap lead wire around the hook
because it will ruin the profile of the fly and we don't need anymore lead in the environment.

This is the freestone fly you need for freestone rivers when you are dragging the depths  in the Spring and even in the Summer. These flies are active all summer long. The EB was LOADED with big stones that hatched in late last August into September when some "experts" claimed that the big flies are over for the season. They didn't see the Isonychia all over the place. They also don't see the ants, crickets and hoppers all over the place after Labor Day which provide calories for trout heading into the Fall.


I think I need to go fishing!

Ken


                                                                                 Booking This Spring
                                                                                 Some of you have already done this and have reserved your dates. What I try to avoid is an 11th hour rush for any spot that's left. Booking now is easy and there's no deposit and you can cancel at any time.  That's what I do!!!!
Ken

8 comments:

Sam said...

I appreciate your fly tying ideas, Ken, most especially this time of year. I like the looks of that Springs Wiggler. I think I have tied enough of the usual ones that I use. I will give this one a go for sure.

Spring isn't far off at this point. Days are noticeably longer already.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Yes, only 7 weeks to daylight savings time. Sap lines will be tapped in 4 weeks.

Good luck with the Wiggler.

Ken

Herm said...

Except for the hackling, it reminds me a little bit of the Tellico Nymph, another overlooked gem ...

Herm

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Herm,

It's the peacock that gives it a tellico look but one a fly of that size it looks better than the squirrel hair.

Ken

Chico said...

When I used to tie, I found that ostrich herl was a good substitute for peacock, and that it is generally more rugged and longer lasting on the water. Does not have that nice green flash though.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chico,

It's funny how peacock goes in and out of favor with fly tying. I use it for all my small wooley buggers instead of chenille.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
My name is Pat and I am new to fly fishing. I was speaking with a rep at Orvis and he directed me to your site and said you would have all the info. I am planning on headed to the Millers on Sunday and hoping I can find some sort of action. I know you're a guide so if you have any info or areas I should hit could you let me know. Of course I can compensate you for the info.

Thanks,


Ken Elmer
Attachments
11:52 AM (40 minutes ago)
to Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you for contacting me.

The Millers - at 2290 cfs as if write, would way beyond anything fishable at this point. You want to see flows around 500 cfs which may be a two months away.

I would not work the Millers until the flow is at 500 cfs or below because it is unfruitful at this level and dangerous. That included this Sunday!

Enclosed is a copy of my Millers River Fly Fishing Guide To The Millers River. It will give you a top to bottom guide to the BEST spots. How to fish these spots is when a guide comes into play.

I offer the Fly Fishers Guide to get more fly fishers on this river. It has succeeded but the Millers is STILL underfished which is weird because we catch a lot of trout here.! It is a great river! Don't listen to those which say that it's a seasonal river, only good during the Spring and the Fall. Summer evenings are the best over the last 30 years!!

Best,

Ken

Attachments area

Dalton Noel said...

That fly looks great will have to tie some up!