Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Detour For The EB And the Latest Stockings


"My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." -Koos Brandt




As some of you saw on this blog Ireland St, the road from Rt 143 in Chesterfield will be closed in April due to bridge construction. The construction will be on the bridge over West Branch Brook about a half mile from the intersection of Rt. 143 and Ireland St.  This will mean a major detour for anyone coming from the east (rt. 143).

The best way to get to the Gorge will be:

Mass Pike to Rt 20 exit Huntington then take Rt 112N and then take a right onto Ireland St to a right onto River road.

From points east: take Rt 66W in Northampton to the above Rt 112 and then take the above directions to River Rd (Chesterfield Gorge.

I've emailed the DFW to see if they know of this situation and how it will effect their stocking plans.

If anyone knows of other alternatives please contact me.

Latest Stockings

The Ware River has been stocked but it's flow is around 370cfs.  Be careful

The West Branch (WB) of the Westfield River - At 316 cfs you can fish this beautiful stream.  (I'll be there!!!)

The Millers River (Winchendon) - Downstream in Athol, Orange and Erving this river is blown out and with the canoe race on April 13 (water release) it will stay there BUT Winchendon is far upstream  from that event and as I write is flowing at 258cfs which is GOOD. Where to fish? Find River Rd (rt 202) for a starting point.

Book A Trip

Avoid the mad rush to find an open date for April, May and June. Reserve a date NOW!!!!


It's still Winter on the EB!!!

Plowed up snow blocks the top of the EB access road and the rest is a sheet of ice.















11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Thanks for the EB info. It appears to add some time to this trip but it's worth it.

GW

Anonymous said...

Gary,
to me

Hey, sorry I'm just seeing this. I know off no other way, my road comes out on 112 and the rest of those directions are the way I go. I think taking 66 for you is best way also.

Gary

tincup said...

since everyone shares on this sight my little one is look on the stocking sight mass fish game if your favorite stream river pond or lake was stocked on Monday put in on your list to fish it 4, 6,days or two weeks after. You need to keep a separate little sheet but you never see other individuals or crowded and the fish are more spread out and willing more accustomed to water temp Just my two cents and with all the stocking going on you have new places to go after the pressure is off. The only time this fails is like peters pond on the cape. It gets fish so offen you need to wait till stripers show up on the cape. Tight lines all.


Tincup

tincup said...

By the way the mousum river in maine is giving up some big browns on very small grass scuds and small green brown silverside minnows. fished really slow and low and please think catch release these are native searuns but unbelievable strong.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ken,

We will be stocking the Chesterfield Gorge this spring as the stocking season gets further underway. Access to the gorge will not be cut off, as the Huntington end of Ireland Street will remain open. Thank you for the information on the Ireland Street closure. Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.


Leanda Fontaine Gagnon

Aquatic Biologist, Western District
Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife

Millers River Flyfisher said...

The above comment answers our question.

Ken

Dalton Noel said...

Hey ken just wondering what a good wadeable range is for the ware river? Thanks

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dalton,

I waded it yesterday at around 280 cfs. It's at 263 as I write. It's wadable but be careful.

Ken

Paul said...

Ken,
It was good to see you yesterday ( although I almost didn't recognize you without your signature hat!) @ the Swift. While the sun was out, so was the NW wind which made for a cold, slow day of fishing. There were plenty of folks out around the Y pool, but I did not see anyone catching fish. While it was tough spotting fish with the windy surface, there are still plenty hanging out in the spillway arm and a few were spotted in the bubbler arm. Best results were with #20-22 black zebra midges. There was occasional surface action in the Y pool.

If they haven't stocked above Rte 9 yet, at least some fish have come up to the Y pool area from down below. I had one stocker bow on the zebra midge in the Spillway that looked like it had recently swallowed a small football. Another holdover bow in the lower bubbler arm and for the first time in quite awhile a small brookie in the same spot.

I also decided to experiment a bit with a smelt streamer pattern as well as with a Neil Quigley sucker egg pattern. Both got some attention, but not enough love.

I finished the day at the Pipe for 45 minutes and did not see a single fish in the water, but I did see one at the end of a chain attached to the hip of a spin caster. It is odd that just a month ago the Pipe and the pool area were loaded with fish. I'm assuming this is the result of catch and keep regulations now being in effect. What you think?

Paul

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

Good to see you yesterday and even if you saw beyond my disguise. I need a new hat!!!

The Spin and Bait guys will catch some fish but it is never enough to dent the numbers. I see very few of them by the Pipe and beyound. They amount to nothing!!!

Ken

JG said...

Another possible detour route: From East on 143 it looks like it's a shorter detour to continue on 143 up to Worthington Corners and take a left on Old Post Rd, doubling back to turn onto Ireland Street just up the hill (south) of the entrance to Chesterfield Gorge.