Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, January 13, 2020

Freestone Dreaming



I firmly believe that there are two kinds of fly fishers. The first care only about the river, the trout that are in it and the chance of fishing it in relative solitude (Gierach School of Angling), The second kind of fly fisher cares equally about whether there is a local fly shop, good restaurants and posh accommodations. Can't be too far away from civilization, I guess. - Me

If I had three fly

patterns (excluding the wooley bugger) to start the season off on a freestone river my first choice, if the water is high, would be a weighted stonefly nymph. In fact, you should always carry this fly regardless of the season and in a large size too. Big stones will have up to a three year life span so their meaty presence is always there.

If the water flows are average or lower then the number 1 pattern will be a soft hackle pattern because it represents the active, emerging insect better than anything. The color isn't really of much importance but an orange body seems to top the list.  Springtime sizes will run larger with size 12 down to size 8 filling my fly boxes. A large yellow bodied soft hackle in a size 8 is a killer on the EB.

A third style that is a "must have" is a streamer pattern and I am sold on small marabou patterns. From the Catskills to northern Maine marabou streamers just get it done. I fish these either "on the swing" or on the "high stick" upstream. I took a bow over 20 inches in the rain, on a rising Ware river last spring high sticking like a nymph.  Very deadly!!!



Ok, throw in the Wooley Bugger!! It's a great fly that represents a lot of trout food. I don't have a photo that I like but tie them small (size 12) and ditch the chenille body in favor of peacock (about size strands or swords with do. I like this style because it looks like an insect and not something from Jupiter!  BTW, the WB was supposedly invented by a Pennsylvania tyer in 1967. I saw my first one when I picked one off the ground along the Moose River in northern Maine in the mid 1980's. I made a few casts with it, caught nothing and went back to a respectable smelt pattern.  When I got home I went to the Millers and tried it there.  All hell broke loose and the rest is history.

Notice that I didn't name a particular stone, soft hackle or streamer pattern and the reason is simple: patterns don't really matter that much but presentation does. Most nymphs in a freestone stream are dark on their backs, light on their undersides and are about a size 10 through 14. Dressing up your flies with electric ice blue cosmic shredded dubbing with a tungsten helmet slides you right over to the "attractor" side of the game because the above combinations are not found in nature. When I was a newbie I wanted to catch as many trout as possible. Now it's the "way" they are caught that's important!


Ken




5 comments:

Gary said...

Wow, 3 excellent choices stones,soft hackles,small streamers, and of course the ability to use 3x, which makes it easier to tie them on with shaky fingers and seventy year old eyes. Yep perfect for a local freestone I'm familiar with, in the early spring and sometimes beyond. Oh buggers tied with FTD's MS bugger dubbing (color Big Horn) up front and maybe even synthetic hair instead of feathers for a tail? Killer.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Good to hear from you Gary and glad that you mentioned the use of 3x. Most people will not use it regardless of the size of the fly. I saw a video of Joe Humpheries using 3x on size 14 and 16 nymphs and wets during clear water conditions and he caught trout. Some of us use 5x on size 28 sunken flies and catch trout.

Can't think of anything better than marabou for a WB tail or for a streamer for that matter.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Curious about why orange colored soft hackles work. Any theories?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:19,

Orange colored soft hackles work but there are reasons why they shouldn't. The color ORANGE, in the animal world, is considered a sign of a poisonous food. Many animals from birds to snakes will not eat them because they will get sick. There is an orange salamander that is poisonous and another bred of salamander, which is not poisonous, has adopted the orange color as a defense. There's not a lot of prey items in a trouts world that are orange except for some fish eggs which trout will eat. The Answer: Trout probably don't run into many monarch butterflies so they are not afraid of the color. It would be bad news for the trout, and for us, if they did.

Ken

Perk said...

I have had good luck with orange bodied soft hackles and with a streamer I tie that has a good deal of orange color either in maribou or bucktail. That said I've probably had more action with flies tied with an olive color. I suppose that in any specific water one color will work better than another.
Perk