Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Winter's Winding Down, My top Winter Fly And EB Ramblings

"But then the more I fished these little creeks and the more I learned about them, the better I liked them.  Part of that was just the constant exposure.  Sure, there are better fisheries within a half day's drive - and I made those drives and longer ones often enough - but there was nowhere else where I could slip in an hour of fishing before work or two or three hours after and have a rod in my hand every day of the week." - John Gierach  (Note: Gierach mentions fishing "two or three hours after" work.  It's always been my favorite time: dusk, the witching hour, call it what you want - it's magic. - Ken

The Copper Grouse                                 

The Copper Grouse has proved itself!!  In mid Winter I fished it after working a stretch unsuccessfully with another popular offering and ended up cleaning house!  That happened a few more times with different flies first but the Grouse caught the most each time.

Now, I'm not a proponent of "super" flies, "guide" flies and all of that BS.  PRESENTATION RULES but sometimes we will put something into a fly that makes all the difference.  I guess that's what a Wooley Bugger does.  Add the Partridge and Orange and the Pheasant Tail to that short effective list.


                                                                                   February On The EB
There is one thing we can put to rest and that is unsubstantiated feeling that our rivers are running low for this time of year.  That is false. All one has to do is check out the USGS readings for our rivers and you will see that the real time flow and the median flow (average) is about the same.  Also realize that these median flows average out over 70 years for most of the rivers.  In short, todays flow pretty much equals the 70 year average.  If we have a normal summer we will be fine.

BTW, I've been dreaming of the EB of late and of one spot where I've NEVER seen another angler except for my wife who took a monster bow one September morning from this spot.  If I ever break an ankle on the EB it will be here. It has no streamside path which tells you something. NOBODY DARES TO GO THERE. It is a true rock garden with pocket water that dwarfs most other rivers and it's loaded with unmolested trout.  I'll be giving some hints about this place.  I'm sure my friend Gary, the Lord of the Westfield, has already figured it out.

It's been over two months since the shortest day of the year (12/21 or so).  Right now the length of day is like it is in mid October.  In about 2 weeks we move the clocks ahead.  Time to book a trip to one of these rivers that you have always wanted to fish but.......  The Millers, the Ware, The EB and the WB and the Swift await you. 


Ken
























12 comments:

Sam said...

Ken,

I always enjoy it when I see you have put up a new post. That is a real gift you have there with that spot on the EB that you have never seen another angler. Those are sure hard to come by these days. I can see why you'd be dreaming about that spot as winter winds down.

Best,
Sam

Sam said...

I love the fact that you find zones off the beaten path, Ken. Sounds like a real gem that you have on the EB. If it were me, I wouldn't tell anybody about that zone.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Someone told me that they saw 8 anglers fishing that 50 foot pipe run one day this weekend. That's way too many for me.

Ken

tincup said...

Also only Two other anglers

Sam said...

Way too many for me too, Ken. Fishing amongst a crowd like that has zero appeal to me. I may not catch that many fish, but I prefer to find my own zones on the Swift, Ware and Quaboag. Scantic once in a while too. Once in a while I will have a good day and I am plenty happy.

Sam

tincup said...

Ok I guess I hit wrong send button Trying to help the swift traffic When to maine mousam river below kennybucport center sent the wife shopping from kittery to freeport after dropping me off. Nice area from dam in town center to first bridge. sea run browns brookies got a couple better than 18 inches and several in the 12 inch fat size. The great part also is u can have breakfast in the maine dinner with blueberry pancakes and on the way home a lobster dinner with steamers or just a good old lobster roll. Win win wife or girl friend loves it and u get a day fishing Tincup that's why I said only two anglers seen

tincup said...

buy the way the out going tide cycle fishes best just be careful water very cold 40s going to be 60s on Monday or Tuesday As much as I would like to head west I think back at the mousum in maine

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tincup,

I love the Mousam River but never get the chance to fish it anymore, certainly not the sea run browns and brookies. A good breakfast, fishing all day and then lobster?? What could go wrong?? I think i'd leave the lady at home. February in Maine would not work for her.

Ken

Anonymous said...

I’ve fished the EB my whole life and I can tell you 90 percent of the time I don’t see another angler, I rarely fish the gorge section for that reason

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:34,

You are totally right! Some "experts" will say that they know the EB but it's only down to the gate and rarely beyond and there is good water above that but it's left alone. Some may hike it down to Les's Pool but it all stops there. There are MILES below that are under fished or unfished. The better for the exploring angler!!

Ken

Pat said...

Ooo I know that spot and you are right it is difficult to get to. It is much more accessible and easier to fish from the other side. That is if you can get over there. I've had my fill of ice fishing and I'm getting ready to switch gears.

Pat said...

Also, once its wet wading season I take my mountain bike in there and you can explore all 7 miles of the EB. Waders, bike chains and sprockets don't always play nice though.