Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

September On The EB And Magic Orange

                                    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra



The flow on the EB this morning was a perfect 245 cfs but that , according to an early morning forecast, would change quickly as what's left of Ida would dump in the range of 4 to 6 inches of rain on the region over the next 18 hours.  Better fish it now!!!

I did see a set of tire tracks that kept going past the Bliss Pool and probably down to the gate where the driver would begin his 15 minute hike down to Les's Pool.  My first choice was taken but the Bliss Pool was unoccupied so I strung up my 7/1/2 foot Edwards, tied on a soft hackle and hit the river.

It only took about 3 casts before the rainbow slammed the fly at the very end of the swing. It was about 14 inches and very healthy after a summer in the river (all that great rain!). Next came a brown of the same size that struck deep and didn't want to give up.  That was followed by a another rainbow and then a missed hit. Then that was followed by a downpour which is when I decided to call it quits. (Note: the "downpour" followed me back on the 15 minute drive home and then STOPPED. The forecast still says 4 inches). 

I'm lucky to be close to the EB. It's a great freestone river that holds it's trout friendly temperatures through the summer (today it was 64 degrees, the same as what the Farmington has been running) and it's trout seem happy!!

Magic Orange

About 4 or 5 years ago I wrote about a "new" Partridge and Orange concoction that I stumbled on. I was experimenting on material that would give me a good YELLOW bodied fly.


What I ended up with was a yellow body that turned a beautiful sexy carrot orange when WET. It caught trout that year and  I actually started selling them. Some of those flies ended up in Italy where they did a number on those brown trout.  But after a year I ran out of the material that I used and couldn't recall the exact shade of yellow that I needed.

Now I have a huge supply and the three trout I caught today were on this Partridge and Magic. I intend to sell these. Just order the regular Partridge and Orange from my fly page and then EMAIL me with the words PARTRIDGE AND MAGIC and I'll send them out.  The price is the same and free shipping is included.

P.S. It only looks orange when it's wet.

Ken



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats what she said....lol

Anonymous said...

Nice looking tie Ken. Glad to hear the EB held up. The main stem this morning (post Ida) is almost 10,000 cfs...EB is in the mid to high 400's which is still fishable for sure...

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 11:41,

That reading was taken below the dam probably when they were holding back flood waters. Up by the Gorge it probably was a mess.

Ken