Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, July 31, 2023

Thank You, A Very Good Fly And Relief From The Heat


"Remember, fairness is a human idea largely unknown in nature" - John Gierach


When I decided to take a break from this blog back in May I took the chance (in my mind) that the readership would disappear.  Not so!! Page views dropped a bit but not that much ( they must be reading the old stuff).  Page views are strong and so are the comments.  THANK YOU!!!!!!

Check out the fly above.  It's got bead chain eyes, a soft hackle collar, a dubbed body and a marabou tail. It's tied on a size 12 nymph hook and it imitates a dragon fly nymph, a crayfish, a stonefly nymph or a scalpin. Yvon Chouinard of Patagonian fame has caught bonefish on a pheasant tail.  This fly would do it too!!



Yes, the July heat and humidity sucked but it broke Saturday night which will put some life into our freestones but it also sent me to the kitchen to work up some pasta sauce which I have been avoiding because of the hot weather.

Cut up some garden zucchini, sautee in olive oil which some oinion, throw in some soy sauce, lots of black pepper and some diced tomatoes.  Cover with parmesan and have fun.


I'd like to take a trip to the Ware River to see if I can duplicate what happened 2 years ago. I went about a 1/2 mile upstream from the usual strting point and with a soft hackle fly took about a dozen CRAPPIE which was awesome!!!!!

Try It!

Ken

3 comments:

Dean F said...

Good morning Ken, the heat, humidity, and kayak hatches at the Swift have sent me chasing Smallmouth at a local river. Generally, I have the place to myself. The occasional spin casters throwing from shore don’t seem to know what waders are and the recent high flows have been perfect for swinging streamers. The local smallies are not big but they are hard fighters and really a lot of fun. Then again the morning temps this week have got me thinking trout. Hopefully the crowds will remember how much they miss their golf clubs and X boxes. Stay well!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F.

You are doing it RIGHT. Hi temps and high water shouldn't stop us from chasing smallies, possibly the best fighting freshwater fish we have in Ma!!!

Ken

Charles said...

Summer smalles in the Millers is a high point of every year for me. The 8-inchers spend more time in the air than in the water. Netted a 15-inch one last year, and thought I had a marlin. The flow is getting just about right to take a short trip to some of my favorite spots. Did not know there were crappies in the Ware; that might have to go on the summer list, too.
Charles